Post-Game Talk: If The Oilers Score 3 Late Goals And No One Sees It Did They Score?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Of course the Bears and Rookies game was better. The Bears had already started their season and that was game 4 for the rookies. Rust was already shaken off.

And have you never watched a pre season game before? They are always garbage. For example, team try out (Toronto) beat Ottawa twice. It was a garbage set of games, just like these.

And yeah it was the first pre season game under McLellan. If you look at individual players that were here last year you could already see some improvements. Like your favorite Yak looked extremely good last night, doing things McLellan told him to.

And yeah intensity sucked so you know what's going to happen. McLellan will tell the team what they did good then kick their ass in practice. Things won't look perfect after one pre season game. What we should take out if this if anything is that the hard working Calgary team even looked rough last night so its very common in pre season.

First pre season game, especially split squad games are garbage. McLellan straight up said he hated them too. Don't act like this comes as any surprise.

Nah, as fans we too have to start expecting more. This team has something to improve, or should. A team doesn't get sharp doing what it has to do to win regular season games in the tough WC by dog****ing in exhibition games. Really I couldn't believe how little fight and intensity there was in the lineup with the new coach standing right there. The one that had to yell and f bomb the club to do drills properly. This group always seems to need a lot of push.

Flames had a good season last year and the games mean little to them. But to a team still trying to figure out how to play NHL hockey I dunno.

Its probably just been too long of an offseason and I'm expecting the team to show more.

As an aside a number of people commented on how long its taking to get through the metal detectors. Last week I was in a line that was hardly moving. Couldn't figure out what was going on. Till I got to the metal detector and the attendant, who had a clear speech impediment was trying to say something to me. I seriously couldn't understand, her said repeatedly I don't understand what you are saying? She was nice about it but I had to think why did they give this girl a job that involves her having to ask every person "can I check with the wand detector and frisk you" Its noisy in there and you can barely hear anything as it is. I felt sorry for this girl, but by the same token they should give her a different job. Again she was pleasant, but can't communicate in that din. This must have been going on with every person going through.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
nurse ia tough mother, he stood and ate a few licks from smith until he could get his arm free then it was game over for smith. he tried to hide behind his visor but nurse just smashed it into his nose. Nurse is a scary dude and having that on our back end is going to be awesome.

ill add to that, if nurse continues to beat up the other teams tough guys he wont have to fight anymore. the message is sent Nurse will fight you and if you take liberties with anyone on his team he will whip your ass and your toughest guys ass too

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
The look on the Flames faces on the bench after the fight was great to see. They were probably all thinking... 'yay Smith is gonna revenge against Nurse for the Penticton fight.'... but instead Nurse more than held his own .

Even Hartley had a nervous jitter/shuffle on the Flames bench and an "Oh ****" look on his face when Smith went off after the fight. Pretty funny facial expression.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Nah, as fans we too have to start expecting more. This team has something to improve, or should. A team doesn't get sharp doing what it has to do to win regular season games in the tough WC by dog****ing in exhibition games. Really I couldn't believe how little fight and intensity there was in the lineup with the new coach standing right there. The one that had to yell and f bomb the club to do drills properly. This group always seems to need a lot of push.

Flames had a good season last year and the games mean little to them. But to a team still trying to figure out how to play NHL hockey I dunno.

Its probably just been too long of an offseason and I'm expecting the team to show more.

As an aside a number of people commented on how long its taking to get through the metal detectors. Last week I was in a line that was hardly moving. Couldn't figure out what was going on. Till I got to the metal detector and the attendant, who had a clear speech impediment was trying to say something to me. I seriously couldn't understand, her said repeatedly I don't understand what you are saying? She was nice about it but I had to think why did they give this girl a job that involves her having to ask every person "can I check with the wand detector and frisk you" Its noisy in there and you can barely hear anything as it is. I felt sorry for this girl, but by the same token they should give her a different job. Again she was pleasant, but can't communicate in that din. This must have been going on with every person going through.
McLellan wasn't angry after the game. The first pre season game is 80% shaking off the rust 20% playing hockey.

If by next game they still look super sloppy then I agree with you.

I just look at the Calgary game. Our top line was meh until second half of the 2nd and they were flying and dominate against 75% of Calgarys starting roster including their top 3 d. It's rust takes some time to shake off.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
@replacement, what did you think of Yakupovs game?

I thought he was barnone the best player on the ice, I don't recall seeing him make 1 errant pass, and his energy was through the roof the whole night. He hit, he agitated, he drew penalties, and his shot is incredibly fast

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
The look on the Flames faces on the bench after the fight was great to see. They were probably all thinking... 'yay Smith is gonna revenge against Nurse for the Penticton fight.'... but instead Nurse more than held his own .

I was watching the Flames bench too. That wasn't a jacked up group excited that they got payback :laugh: more like 'we have to play against this guy for HOW long?

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
Nurse is a bad man and has a hell of a chin but if he keeps fighting with it straight in the air he will get his clock cleaned eventually

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
The best thing about that fight is that the Flames were outplaying the Oilers for a good chunk before that and had all the momentum. Then the fight happened and the Oilers got all jacked up after that

So we got to see a good fight and a win

McDeathbyCheerios*

Nurse is a bad man and has a hell of a chin but if he keeps fighting with it straight in the air he will get his clock cleaned eventually
He was being twisted that way by a guy who is 3-4 inches taller then him. There are maybe 2 or 3 players in the league that tall.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
The best thing about that fight is that the Flames were outplaying the Oilers for a good chunk before that and had all the momentum. Then the fight happened and the Oilers got all jacked up after that

So we got to see a good fight and a win

Letestu said flat out that was the turning point and it jacked the boys up.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Yeah thats my big fear. The first half of the fight he was very reserved and fighting smart. Kept his chin low and wrapped smith up or kept him at a distance. Then he sort of went beats mode and exposed himself to start chucking.

IMO a good fighter, even a guy like Evander Kane, will use that and land a KO.

Its a junior style way of fighting (Kessy fights same way)

However Id prefer Nurse not to fight. Only heat of the moment against top 6 guys. In a real game do I care if he fights a plug? not really

McDeathbyCheerios*

Yeah thats my big fear. The first half of the fight he was very reserved and fighting smart. Kept his chin low and wrapped smith up or kept him at a distance. Then he sort of went beats mode and exposed himself to start chucking.

IMO a good fighter, even a guy like Evander Kane, will use that and land a KO.

Its a junior style way of fighting (Kessy fights same way)

However Id prefer Nurse not to fight. Only heat of the moment against top 6 guys. In a real game do I care if he fights a plug? not really
Smith basically forced him into it. I don't see Nurse fighting plugs just because but if Nurse gets forced into one he will be fine.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Don't see the necessity for NHL level intensity in game one of the preseason. The players bought into the system, those systems were well implemented, our team played strong positionally, and overall I saw a very good team game.

I was happy with the performance.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Smith basically forced him into it. I don't see Nurse fighting plugs just because but if Nurse gets forced into one he will be fine.

Yeah I agree. Smith is just trying to make a name for himself. I think Nurse had to answer for acting the way he did after the fight, so hell learnt o be modest. However if Nurse beats up someone who is challenging him and plug like Smith wants to fight, id tell him to enjoy the few games hell ever see in the NHL and to **** off.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I prefer Nurse not fighting plugs in non meaningful games. He took 2 good shots to the jaw. While Smith took a bruise/broken nose. It doesn't require much force to break a nose. Even tilt for me.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

I thought he was barnone the best player on the ice, I don't recall seeing him make 1 errant pass, and his energy was through the roof the whole night. He hit, he agitated, he drew penalties, and his shot is incredibly fast

Yak was far from the best player on ice. IMO he was the 3rd best player on his own line. The feed cut out for me when he got the 2 points but he had his fair share of misadventures in the game.
He looked pretty bad on the PP but so did just about everyone else.

Draisaitl and Lander had very good games.

PS> Nurse may not have won the fight but he probably has ended Smith's NHL career. A goon who couldnt beat out a 20 yr old skill rookie player despite the size advantage.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Yeah I agree. Smith is just trying to make a name for himself. I think Nurse had to answer for acting the way he did after the fight, so hell learnt o be modest. However if Nurse beats up someone who is challenging him and plug like Smith wants to fight, id tell him to enjoy the few games hell ever see in the NHL and to **** off.
I liked Rishaugs point about it. After the Anderson fight some goon will come after hjm because of it. Nurse answered the call and won or tied the fight showing the league that, if you want to fight Nurse, no matter if it's a goon or not, it won't help your team. I feel like Nurse gained respect from it and showed other coaches that sending a guy to fight Nurse usually works out in Nurses favor so don't try it.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Unfortunately I missed the end of the game due to stream crapping out. I thought he was the most physical Oiler forward, drew a couple penalties and I was impressed with his effort. One of the few that brought it. Drai looked reasonable as well. I missed the Lander goal but thought other than that he had a quiet game.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I liked Rishaugs point about it. After the Anderson fight some goon will come after hjm because of it. Nurse answered the call and won or tied the fight showing the league that, if you want to fight Nurse, no matter if it's a goon or not, it won't help your team. I feel like Nurse gained respect from it and showed other coaches that sending a guy to fight Nurse usually works out in Nurses favor so don't try it.

Its just great havign a tough SOB that teams fear but who can also play the game. Who needs a 4th line plug to protect McDavid when you got a D that can play 20 mins a night. So if you touch McDavid youll have to face Nurse plenty in that game and can get run or beat up

Nurse is also pretty intense and crazy too. But when he settles down hes still a top D prospect with #1 upside

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Don't see the necessity for NHL level intensity in game one of the preseason. The players bought into the system, those systems were well implemented, our team played strong positionally, and overall I saw a very good team game.

I was happy with the performance.

I get you, its an exhibition game, but you really aren't playing the system when you are not doing what the coach has been telling you to do all week. To not give up on plays, to have tenacity all over the ice, to fight for the puck. That's part of whatever system is in employ and it didn't feature.

Just seems to me a team with a new HC, new manager, Connor McDavid and a whole lot to prove could have some more jump and application than this.

I can't stand the thought of whether this is going to be a season where some of our players feel their way into seasons. Impatience? yeah.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I get you, its an exhibition game, but you really aren't playing the system when you are not doing what the coach has been telling you to do all week. To not give up on plays, to have tenacity all over the ice, to fight for the puck. That's part of whatever system is in employ and it didn't feature.

Just seems to me a team with a new HC, new manager, Connor McDavid and a whole lot to prove could have some more jump and application than this.

I can't stand the thought of whether this is going to be a season where some of our players feel their way into seasons. Impatience? yeah.
From people at the games the 3rd period was much much better. Like I said first game for most of these guys so it may take a game or two to shake off the pre season rust. Which is why we have pre season

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Even Hartley had a nervous jitter/shuffle on the Flames bench and an "Oh ****" look on his face when Smith went off after the fight. Pretty funny facial expression.

I think we need Nurse to make this team as there is a critical lack in this lineup of the take care of business intangibles that he brings. However the other side of me looks at the risks he takes and its like watching Mike Reilly at QB and being worried if he's going to injure himself. I love Nurse's game, his physicality, pure skill and silky puck movement. But we need him a lot. Playing. I don't want to see him tagged real good in one of these fights.

He just seems too eager to take this on. I almost feel like somebody should talk to him more and clearly and say what they want him to do. He's got this idea in his head he has to take on all fighters out there. He's taking on too much responsibility.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I bet McLellan highly values experience. Which is something both players have.

Do you really think Chia will accept 3.6M in dead cap because Nikitin is going to the AHL?
Nikitin wasn't his signing. Guys are willing to bury mistakes that somebody else made. If he isn't good enough I suspect Chia turfs him one way or another.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
^Chia alluded to this earlier in the week, saying Nurse tries to do everything out there. Needs to settle a bit in the AHL.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
He was being twisted that way by a guy who is 3-4 inches taller then him. There are maybe 2 or 3 players in the league that tall.

Don't think it has anything to do with being twisted around or fighting a taller opponent, it's just a bad tendency that happens in the moment during a fight that even professional fighters suffer from. Not the first fight of his that I noticed it either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad