If the Lightning don't win the Stanley Cup this year, Will it be considered a choke?

Jun 16, 2008
Blighty
The better the record, the bigger the hype, the greater the expectations that are built up about any team -- the worse the fallout if it doesn't happen. You don't get to have an outstanding regular season and then get a pass if it doesn't amount to anything. (General comment for any team, not just Tampa.)

Reactions: Lshap

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Absolutely, if this roster can't win it, they never will because this is the deepest roster they will ever roster they will ever have

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
The biggest question is can Vasi stay hot in the post season. Goals will not be a problem.

You do not know that yet .Someone belts Kucherov really hard a few times and throws him off his game goals could be hard to come by cause it all goes through him in Tampa.I have seen lots of favorites go home without a Cup over the years cause it dried up fast.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
You do not know that yet .Someone belts Kucherov really hard a few times and throws him off his game goals could be hard to come by cause it all goes through him in Tampa.I have seen lots of favorites go home without a Cup over the years cause it dried up fast.

Time and space shrinks as you get further into the playoffs. We have issues with this in the past. We get too reliant on PPs and refs tend to put the whistles away at that point. It could be a challenge again for us if we get far again.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Hardest championship in sports. Choke is a funny word for such a general outcome . If Kucherov or Hedman get injured is that really choking?

I guess if they are up 3 zip and go on to lose 4 in a row with their main guys healthy? That's a choke.

OP seems like it's trying for an answer that can only be emotional.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Tampa to the 2nd WC, “After you lose, no one will remember you”

2nd WC to Tampa “Maybe, but if you lose no one will let you forget it. “

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
If they lose in the first round, it's a choke.

After the first, they'll have to either get through a very good Maple Leafs or Bruins team. I can't call losing to either of them a choke necessarily.

So my answer is no.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I don’t think you can call chokes like that anymore

The NHL has a lot of parity, there’s a lot of talent out there and sometimes wins happen from the team most in sync that night, some fortunate bounces as well

If they lose to Toronto in a 7 game series for example, I wouldn’t call it a choke. But within each series, if one team goes up over the other and blows it I would call it a choke. Basically if tampering went up 3-1 or 3-0 over a team like Toronto or Boston but couldn’t close it out, that would be a choke

But if they go up 1 or 2 0 then lose the next two games, and it goes 7, that’s not a choke. If they lose in 6 games it’s an underperformance, but not a choke

Choke is used too often to describe playoff/season results

As a bruins fan that has seen my team lose in heartbreaking fashion multiple ways, there’s s wide range of qualifiers for disappointment

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
They already choked in 2015 when they lost to the Hawks, if they don’t win this year it’s another choke job.

San Jose, Vancouver, Washington, get labelled chokers for years why is it any different for Tampa?
In 2015, the Lightning finished 3rd in their conference in the regular season. They then won the conference in the playoffs taking out the top 2 seeds along the way.

Then their leading playoff scorer broke his wrist, and their goalie tore his groin.

They couldn't overcome these losses and lost in 6 to a modern day dynasty. But yeah. Let's go with "choked".

Reactions: JoVel

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Meh, they can try again next year, and the year after and the year after that - not like Tampa's window is closing.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
It's going to be painful for other teams to hear, but Tampa has only been icing their competitive team for 2 years. 2015 was a rebuilding season that ended up as a cup final :laugh:

Yzerman has been building up a top team which just started it's stride last year.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
It wouldn’t be as bad as the 16 Warriors or 07 Patriots or 01 Mariners given the nature of the NHL playoffs, but if they come close or are able to set the all time points record just to lose in the playoffs then yeah that’d be a massive disappointment

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Disappointment, sure. There are a lot of good teams out there. The dominant regular season team doesn't always win it all.

OurlordAndSaviorKuch

Number one Bull$hit
Oct 12, 2011
Tampa Florida
I can't be the only Tampa fan that would drown their sorrows and then follow it up with a revolt against Cooper if we come up short again. Because let's be real its heartbreaking being a few wins short of a cup and failing miserably.

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
The first team ever to be swept in 5. Historic.
LOL, that deserves a Here's your sign....

xjfq.gif

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
The better the record, the bigger the hype, the greater the expectations that are built up about any team -- the worse the fallout if it doesn't happen. You don't get to have an outstanding regular season and then get a pass if it doesn't amount to anything. (General comment for any team, not just Tampa.)
Well put. This isn't just another Presidents Trophy winner, this is a team that would have to slump to finish with 120 points. That's crazy. Tampa has been playing at another atmospheric level than the rest of the league and, barring injury, has no excuse to lose a 7-game series to anyone.

I totally appreciate that many Tampa fans are avoiding overconfidence, just as it's true the window doesn't close after this year, but still... this season's dominance is a rare event with only one legitimate finish.

Reactions: The Shovel Penguin

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Even for the best team in the league, it's still way more likely to not win the cup. Calling that a choke is pretty dumb
It really depends. When we lost one year to Boston blowing that third period lead it was considered a choke even though we were down 3-1 in that series and Boston being the favorites because of HOW they lost. You can't just call it a choke because they were the number one seed. If they lose first round I can see it though.

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
If they lose in the first 2 rounds, them yeah it's a choke regardless of how close the series is.

If they lose in 4/5 in round 3, that's proabably a choke as well.

If they lose in finals in 4, then it's also a choke.

Basically it's cup win, or lose in game 6/7 in the finals to avoid the choke label.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad