If the Lightning don't win the Stanley Cup this year, Will it be considered a choke?

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
The Tampa Bay Lightning are tearing up the League and have solidified themselves as the clear cut Stanley Cup Favorite.

In fact, I think they're so good and above everyone else...that they should win the Stanley Cup with ease.

With the season that they're having, would they be considered "Chokers"...if somehow they don't win it all this season?

TheStroker

Jun 13, 2012
USA
If they get swept after dominating the regular season, then yes it's a choke.

If it's a hard fought playoff series against a team that's a good match up and it comes down to an OT winner to decide who moves on, no it's not a choke.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
they should win the Stanley Cup with ease.

No one wins the Stanley Cup with ease.

A team that's a heavy favorite in all of their series (say, 2-to-1 favorites) will win the Stanley Cup less than 20% of the time.

In fact, to be an even money (50% chance) bet to win the Stanley Cup, a team needs to be an 84% favorite (more than 5-to-1 favorites) in every one of their individual series.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Obviously this.

It's a long grind & a few key injuries can sabotage any team's SC hopes. Hot goalies happen too.

Lets forget about injuries then. If completely healthy, you wouldnt think this Tampa Team...say losing in the ECF or the 2nd rd...would be considered a choke?

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
The only way I'd consider them choking is if they lost in the 1st or if they got swept anywhere after the 1st.

Reactions: Pay Carl

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
In the past 10 seasons, the only President's Trophy winner to win the Cup was the 2012-13 Blackhawks, in a lockout-shortened, 48-game season. Admittedly, the Lightning are having a dominant season, 15 points clear of the 2nd-place Flames with one more game played, but it shouldn't be considered earth-shattering news if they don't win the Cup.

I hate the word "choke". Why can't we just give credit to an underdog who played better, and maybe got enough lucky bounces as well, in a best-of-7?

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Lets forget about injuries then. If completely healthy, you wouldnt think this Tampa Team...say losing in the ECF or the 2nd rd...would be considered a choke?

You must have missed the 2nd sentence. We've all seen goalies play like they're GOD & absolutely steal a playoff series.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Absolutely.
They have the four major awards essentially locked up 55 games in already.

Hart
Art Ross
Vezina
Norris

If they don't win it all with the top top players in the league, they are gigantic chokers.

Reactions: Mez and OVO16

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
On paper...maybe

t0t9BEx.gif

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Absolutely.
They have the four major awards essentially locked up 55 games in already.

Hart
Art Ross
Vezina
Norris

If they don't win it all with the top top players in the league, they are gigantic chokers.
The odds are still like 20-25%. It would be disappointing as f*** but people throw the word choke around way too much.

Reactions: I am not exposed

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
The plan started many years ago by Yzerman was to make us a contender each year and we've done that making it to the Finals in 2015 and game 7 of the ECFs in 2016 and 2018. Some teams have constructed small windows for themselves to get the job done. Cup or bust situations. We're not them, so I don't really see the pressure. Is this the best Lightning team of the past couple years? Yes. But there's no guarantees in the playoffs. The "better" team doesn't always win it all. So even if we don't get it done this season, I think we can all say with confidence we'll still be back here again next year in a good place, prepared for another shot.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Cups aren't won on paper, but anything short of the Eastern Conference Finals again will definitely be considered a choke job. At that point there's no givens, you aren't handed a trip to the Cup Finals. Sure it will be a disappointment since they're the favorites but I don't consider losing in the ECF/WCF choking unless you're up like 3-1 in the series or something.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad