If the Lightning don't win the Stanley Cup this year, Will it be considered a choke?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Oh C'mon. A disappointment sure, but not necessarily a choke. Wouldn't be the first time a run-away President's Trophy winner doesn't win the Cup.

So when, Detroit lost in 95-96 after blowing the league away with 62 Wins, how come they were called chokers then?

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
It will be a huge choke. I understand it's difficult, but the margin (at least right now, assuming the team stays healthy) is pretty wide.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
No

The NHL is 40% luck, and the playoffs are even more of a crapshoot. A cold 10 game stretch at the wrong time could sink the best NHL team, and a hot 10 game stretch could win a average team the cup. Every team goes thru hot/cold stretches, unfortunately, no team can plan when these stretches will happen

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Too much variance / luck involved. I don't think any team in this league, no matter how good, has a > 50% chance of winning the Cup in a given season. If they were to get swept in the first round or something, then you could reasonably say they choked. But simply losing to another strong team at some point over the course of four grueling series isn't choking.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Maybe if they were up 3-0 and blew it but at this point in the year not winning a cup can't be a true choke imo.

Having said that, I'm already pretty bored of the constant updates about their regular season successes that don't lead to cups. I'll care even less if they fall short again.

Tifosi

Feb 6, 2006
They already choked in 2015 when they lost to the Hawks, if they don’t win this year it’s another choke job.

San Jose, Vancouver, Washington, get labelled chokers for years why is it any different for Tampa?

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Unless they suffer a serious run of injuries, then I would say yes. At this point there's them and a bunch of teams fighting to be the teams that lose to them in the East finals, then Cup finals

pucksakes666

Mar 8, 2018
Not necessarily your post if flawed say if they lose in game 7 of the finals by a score of 2-1 and hit the post 3 or 4 times in the final 10 minutes. That really considered a choke ?

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Yes, it's the best NHL team we've seen in a while. Anything less than the cup is a failure. They've done everything else - it's time to win.

Reactions: BKIsles

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Yeah, one team can’t “choke” not winning the cup before the Playoffs start. Even if you say they’re good enough that they have 80%/20% chance of winning/losing every series they play, they still only have a 40% chance of winning the cup. That’s how tough four rounds is.

I also don’t think any team in the modern era has close to an 80/20 advantage in a given series, let alone in the Conference or Stanley Cup Finals.

I think some realistic odds for a Team such as the Lightning in terms of their chances of winning a series, even as favourites, are something more like:

Round 1: 70%
Round 2: 65%
Round 3: 60%
SCF: 60%

When you calculate those odds, the team only has a 16% chance of winning the Cup when calculated from the beginning of the playoffs.

Anyone who says not winning a cup in any given year is “choking” fundamentally misunderstands how difficult it is to win a 30+ team league with four rounds of playoffs.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Not a choke but they are the clear favs. They should win and if they do not it will be a big let down for the franchise, that team is stacked

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
They already choked in 2015 when they lost to the Hawks, if they don’t win this year it’s another choke job.

San Jose, Vancouver, Washington, get labelled chokers for years why is it any different for Tampa?
How is losing in game 6 of the scf a choke job?

I mean the caps earned that title by having great teams and failing to make it past the second round for a f***ing decade.

steveayres35

Apr 27, 2018
Only if they lost in the conference finals against Pittsburgh, then everyone on here, except for Penguin fans, would cheer on the Western conference team in the finals.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
If the 2006 Red Wings and 2010 Capitals can lose in round 1, anything's possible

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Only if they lost in the conference finals against Pittsburgh, then everyone on here, except for Penguin fans, would cheer on the Western conference team in the finals.

Getting out of their own division (BOS/TOR, maybe MON) is no guarantee

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
It will absolutely be considered a choke. Would it actually be one? As many said it depends on circumstances.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Let's just say the Lightning have been chokers for a few years now, and winning the cup would be like the Heimlich Maneuver successfully applied. Right now, what they are doing amounts to the 1996 Detroit Red Wings. No one should be that impressed.

BKIsles

Jan 22, 2013
Yes, it's the best NHL team we've seen in a while. Anything less than the cup is a failure. They've done everything else - it's time to win.

Exactly, if the Lightning keep their pace up, they could win the Presidents' Trophy by almost 20 points, that's uncommon dominance. Barring significant injuries in the SCP, it would be considered a choke job if they can't get it done.

mw2noobbuster

Jun 28, 2016
Alberta, Canada
Nah. The Lighting haven't had this dominant team for long. Really only last season have they imposed themselves in the regular season. If they go this playoffs and next without doing much, then we're approaching Washington territory.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad