If the Habs decided and managed to get Paul Stastny

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
If MB actually call Stastny it will be to congratulate him on his new deal with Colorado. I just can't see it.

I would be surprised if Bergevin DOESN'T call...

...but I would be surprised if he offered the 45-50 mil over 7 years required to sign him. Just not a good idea.

montreal25m

Jun 5, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
I would be surprised if Bergevin DOESN'T call...

...but I would be surprised if he offered the 45-50 mil over 7 years required to sign him. Just not a good idea.

I would stay away. He will be overpaid BIG time just like Richards, Gomez, clarkson etc. You are not sure if he will be the Statsny of 2013-2104 or the one that was terrible in 2012-2013. He has had a very inconsistent career. Not worth this risk.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
The point is, you don't go spend around 50 mil on a guy to be your #1 center when you think Galchenyuk will be that guy in 2-3 years. Either Stastny would block Galchenyuk or you have a massively overpaid #2 center. At 5.5 mil for 3-4 years Stastny would be a nice signing, at around 7 mil AAV over 6-7 years it's overpayment and a potential Clarkson type deal.

PLUS the real clincher is, Stastny is a solid player but his numbers are no better than Desharnais the last 3 years...131 points in 190 games(vs 140 points in 208 games). This guy isn't Kopitar, Toews or Crosby...not even close.

Not really, Stastny be adding size and strenght down the middle. Could trade Stastny 3 years down the road, when Gal is ready for 1C role.

Don't have to give up assets for Stastny, while opens up chance to deal Plekanec for core player

Last edited:

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004

"Okay, okay... how about if David Desharnais plays on your wing instead?"

*click*

In habs headquarters on HF and in the mayor's office : "Oh my god David Dez-argh-nais sucks so much, no one could possibly want to play with him. "

In actual real NHL land :

Thomas Vanek said:
I struggled a bit and then I got moved to Davey (Desharnais) and Patch (Max Pacioretty) and I think as a line we were great, one of the best lines.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun ·7 mins
Paul Stastny camp already getting a ton of phone calls from other teams... Will keep Avs in the mix of course... going to be interesting.

Who thinks MB is one of the guys calling?

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun ·7 mins
Paul Stastny camp already getting a ton of phone calls from other teams... Will keep Avs in the mix of course... going to be interesting.

Who thinks MB is one of the guys calling?

If I was Bergevin I'd call for sure...but I doubt I(or MB) would be willing to pay the price it would cost to sign him(around 7 mil AAV long term). Let somebody else overpay(see Summer 2013, Clarkson).

Analyzer*

Bergevin is calling him (no source)

Stastny will cost 7 mill. If not a little more.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I would stay away. He will be overpaid BIG time just like Richards, Gomez, clarkson etc. You are not sure if he will be the Statsny of 2013-2104 or the one that was terrible in 2012-2013. He has had a very inconsistent career. Not worth this risk.

The only reason I'd get involved is to make sure they'd have to pay him through the nose.

Not really, Stastny be adding size and strenght down the middle. Could trade Stastny 3 years down the road, when Gal is ready for 1C role.

Don't have to give up assets for Stastny, while opens up chance to deal Plekanec for core player

Giving up 7 years and a ton of cap space IS giving up a big asset.

There is no guarantee somebody would take Stastny in 3 years...look what happened to Gomez and he had a better track record and had won a cup, his production dipped steeply and he was a cap albatross.

I wouldn't touch Stastny with a 10 foot pole unless he could be signed at around 5.5-5.75 mil per year...which is not realistic as a UFA. Hos last contract was 6.67 AAV

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006

"Okay, okay... how about if David Desharnais plays on your wing instead?"

*click*

Waaait, how about if you play right wing on a line with Desharnais...hello? You still there? Pacioretty will be there too? Hello?

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
The only reason I'd get involved is to make sure they'd have to pay him through the nose.

Giving up 7 years and a ton of cap space IS giving up a big asset.

There is no guarantee somebody would take Stastny in 3 years...look what happened to Gomez and he had a better track record and had won a cup, his production dipped steeply and he was a cap albatross.

I wouldn't touch Stastny with a 10 foot pole unless he could be signed at around 5.5-5.75 mil per year...which is not realistic as a UFA. Hos last contract was 6.67 AAV

You over worry. Sure there is a certain gamble signing any free agent but it is chance you have to take. You watch...this summer the demand for Stastny will be off the chart.

Coldplay

Courage
Aug 21, 2008
Montréal
I love Plekanec, but if we landed Stastny, I would look to flip him to the Blackhawks for some help on the wing or D. He'd fill that second line so nicely for them and cost less, presumably, than Kesler would to acquire.

Roll with Stastny, Eller, Galchenyuk/Desharnais, Briere. Not bad at all.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I think he gets less than $7MM. I say between 6-6.5 for 5 to 6 years.

I'd give him 7 for 5 years.

It would allow us to potentially trade Plekanec for a major piece. Plekanec, Gorges or Emelin and our 1st for the Islanders 5th overall pick.

Getting Timmins a top 5 pick could be huge.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
[/B]
You over worry. Sure there is a certain gamble signing any free agent but it is chance you have to take. You watch...this summer the demand for Stastny will be off the chart.

...and in 2 years people will be saying how his contract is a bad one.

Stastny isn't a 7 mil a year player and he will get it, same as Clarkson being a 5+ mil player.

TheGoalJudge

Feb 12, 2007
Clarkson is a 1M player getting paid 5M+.

Stastny is a 5M+ player who will get 7M.

Overpaid but still USEFUL.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Clarkson is a 1M player getting paid 5M+.

Stastny is a 5M+ player who will get 7M.

Overpaid but still USEFUL.

Clarkson would be good value at around 3-3.5 mil, not 5+ and not over 7 years. The term is also an issue.

Stastny, the term could be a problem too, if you have to overpay somebody by 2 mil per year PLUS give them 7 years...that's very steep.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Clarkson would be good value at around 3-3.5 mil, not 5+ and not over 7 years. The term is also an issue.

Stastny, the term could be a problem too, if you have to overpay somebody by 2 mil per year PLUS give them 7 years...that's very steep.

I don't see Bergevin being active on the high end of the free agent scale, but it's always nice to think about upgrading your team for cash without taking away players from your roster.

But this one would throw out the team salary structure. I doubt this GM is going to go about meticulous negotiations with the likes of Subban, Markov, and Pacioretty then parachute a $7M+ player in to throw it all off.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad