If the Habs decided and managed to get Paul Stastny

djpass

Let's just pretend that they'd make an acceptable offer to Stastny and he'd accept to join the team as a UFA.

That would most likely mean that their decision is to keep Galchenyuk on the left wing for at least a few more seasons, considering it's not likely they'll move Desharnais from the 2nd center spot, even though most here regularly dream about it...lol.

So if we have Stastny, Pacioretty, Gallagher, Galchenyuk and Desharnais part of our top 6, which center between Eller or Plekanec you think they should offer, with something else of course, in a trade in order to get another top 6 winger ?

pine*

Why wouldn't they move Desharnais?

Jesus christ, wake the **** up

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Why trade anyone?

Move Desharnais to wing. Keep Galchenyuk on wing. Problem solved.

djpass

Why trade anyone?

Makes sense also, but then again I prefer to have a small center surrounded by big wingers rather than two small wingers on the first 2 lines (Gallagher, Desharnais).

If they could land another big top 6 winger, that would be ideal.

There was a rumor last summer that Berg was close to landing Bobby Ryan using Pleky as part of the deal.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
Why trade anyone?

Someone would almost certainly have to go and DD would imo be the most redundant. I'd rather keep Gionta over DD if the cap hit was going to be the same, as an example.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
MB might have to pull a Moneyball and trade DD to make sure MT puts Stastny with Pacioretty otherwise no point signing him

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
If we were to get Stastny, I'd trade DD. Stastny is a player with a similar role as DD, offensively minded center who is not amazing defensively. Plus, Stastny seemed to have some chemistry with Pacioretty at the world cup 2-3 years ago.

That said, I don't know if the difference in cap hit and long term commitment to Stastny would be worth it ? He's liable to get double the cap hit of DD and is he really bringing twice as much to the table ? Maybe. But I don't know.

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
Why not ? He'd automatically be the top center.

Because we have other needs. I know everybody wants DD to GTFO but ideally we need to replace Vanek/re-sign him. I don't want to see Gionta as a second line winger ever again.

djpass

Because we have other needs. I know everybody wants DD to GTFO but ideally we need to replace Vanek/re-sign him. I don't want to see Gionta as a second line winger ever again.

Well if you get Stastny then you can use other guys to get a top 6 winger. That's why I brought up Eller or Pleky as trade baits for starters.

Gionta obviously doesn't belong on a top 6 anymore and I'm sure that Habs management know this very well.

When you can land a guy like Stastny without sending guys the other way to get him, then I'm in if at a decent price.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
If we were to get Stastny, I'd trade DD. Stastny is a player with a similar role as DD, offensively minded center who is not amazing defensively. Plus, Stastny seemed to have some chemistry with Pacioretty at the world cup 2-3 years ago.

That said, I don't know if the difference in cap hit and long term commitment to Stastny would be worth it ? He's liable to get double the cap hit of DD and is he really bringing twice as much to the table ? Maybe. But I don't know.

Cap space doesn't write it's name on the Cup. upgrading at the C position is a must, we will not win with DD as the #1C. Ever.

Stastny is not perfect by any stretch but he's the only guy available and I think he does improve the club.

djpass

Cap space doesn't write it's name on the Cup. upgrading at the C position is a must, we will not win with DD as the #1C. Ever.

Stastny is not perfect by any stretch but he's the only guy available and I think he does improve the club.

That's precisely why I brough this up.

They can always fill other gaps through trades.

Trading Desharnais would make sense but his real value ain't high, therefore to fill other gaps, at least one of the other centers (Eller, Pleky) would likely be demanded, amongst others, in any trade for another top 6 winger in return.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
We need another Top 6 RW and/or a #2 defenseman more... but I would be in favour of signing Statsny and packaging up Plekanec in order to fill one of the previously mentioned holes.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Why not make him play with Galchenyuk on his left and Gallagher on his right ?

Cause Pacs & Stastny are legit 1st line players and DD is not + I want Chucky as a C next season so DD wouldn't be the only guy on the move unless Eller can move to wing

Apr 28, 2010

THIS. I doubt the team is looking to upgrade our centre depth.

DD/Briere will still be here next year and Chuckie is still going to be a left winger whether we like it or not.

Also, DD will never play wing. Highly doubt that. I just don't see it happening with Therrien as the coach.

Top 6 RW is what we need. Hoping for Radim Vrbata actually.

And please let Gionta walk too. We need a new captain.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad