If the Habs decided and managed to get Paul Stastny

TopTenPlayz

Jun 6, 2014
He'll be a 60+ point guy this season if they give him the minutes. He won't need to slowly ripen.

What do you think Stastny would sign for? 7 mil?

And if he produces 60 points a year... you think we can deal him down the road? No way. I think we're signing up an albatross. And I might even be okay with that if he was on the wing... but its more of what we have. We don't need a stopgap either.

Why?

That's why.

Fine. Then move Eller for a winger if you really want Galchenyuk to play center next season. Regardless, if Galchenyuk is to play center next season, he should be #2 not #1.

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
Funny thing that posters & coaches don't agree on many things, especially what's best for the prospects/young players, after all the team must discuss what's best for their #1 prospect don't you think?:help:

The royal navy is great too :help:. I know I couldn't coach in the NHL even in midget AAA. I know Therrien brings a room presence, energy, hard work, etc. It doesn't make Therrien any less conservative. In the end Therrien wants to win to keep the command of his ship the longest he can. He's on the hotseat if we suck next year, even with his 4 years extension. The optics we're bringing is risky, hence why Therrien is keeping it real. Anyhow, you're doing a good job defending management, which in the end is like my editor whom I hate or R&Rs in the music business... they have to assest risks like actuaries which is difficult but they aren't always right, far from it.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Fine. Then move Eller for a winger if you really want Galchenyuk to play center next season. Regardless, if Galchenyuk is to play center next season, he should be #2 not #1.

Nope, along with Plekanec, Eller is only one of the two C who doesnt need sheltering to contribute, and that's what the "new NHL" is about, two way play. C to be moved are DD and Briere (although with only 1 year left, DB staying wouldnt hurt us much)

TopTenPlayz

Jun 6, 2014
Nope, along with Plekanec, Eller is only one of the two C who doesnt need sheltering to contribute, and that's what the "new NHL" is about, two way play. C to be moved are DD and Briere (although with only 1 year left, DB staying wouldnt hurt us much)

No I agree. If you look at my previous post, I had Stastny as #1, Eller #2 (with Galy as LW for next season), and Pleks at #3. I had Galy transitioning to center after Plek's contract runs out. DD, Briere are already gone. It's just that Lafleurs Guy really wanted Galy to play center next season. So, in that case, one of Pleks or Eller needs to be moved.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
No I agree. If you look at my previous post, I had Stastny as #1, Eller #2 (with Galy as LW for next season), and Pleks at #3. I had Galy transitioning to center after Plek's contract runs out. DD, Briere are already gone. It's just that Lafleurs Guy really wanted Galy to play center next season. So, in that case, one of Pleks or Eller needs to be moved.

Stastny would cost close to 7 for 7... not a smart move when the needs are at wing and on D.

TopTenPlayz

Jun 6, 2014
Stastny would cost close to 7 for 7... not a smart move when the needs are at wing and on D.

I disagree. I think the center ice position is far more important than the wing. Right now, their #1 C is DD. Right away, that should be the main priority and needs to be upgraded. Apart from Stastny, who are the other centers available in FA or via trades? Kesler, Spezza, Thornton? Any of these guys have a no-trade clause and probably doesn't want to come to MTL. Besides, it would cost a lot of players and prospects to acquire any of them.

IMO, they shouldn't throw Galy to the role of #1 C right away. And we all know MT won't play Pleks/Eller as #1 C with Pacioretty for some unknown reasons.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Do it by committee. But give Galchenyuk every opportunity to succeed.

Spend the money on wingers, not number two centers wanting to be paid like number ones. We've gone down that road before and it didn't work. Eller is a good two way guy who just needs opportunity to succeed. Get him some wingers and get more out of what we already have. THAT makes sense.
I hope ur right...

Though I don't want patches to be " fine" moving forward... I want him to excel... Can he do that without DD, sure... Can he do that with any C? Not so sure
Why wouldn't he? His numbers with other centers are right in line with where he always is.
Galchenyuk should be at center. Its time.

Neither Pleks nor Eller should go anywhere. Why do you want to blow cash on what we have already? Why wouldn't we go after wingers which is where we need help?

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I disagree. I think the center ice position is far more important than the wing. Right now, their #1 C is DD. Right away, that should be the main priority and needs to be upgraded. Apart from Stastny, who are the other centers available in FA or via trades? Kesler, Spezza, Thornton? Any of these guys have a no-trade clause and probably doesn't want to come to MTL. Besides, it would cost a lot of players and prospects to acquire any of them.

IMO, they shouldn't throw Galy to the role of #1 C right away. And we all know MT won't play Pleks/Eller as #1 C with Pacioretty for some unknown reasons.

The point is, you don't go spend around 50 mil on a guy to be your #1 center when you think Galchenyuk will be that guy in 2-3 years. Either Stastny would block Galchenyuk or you have a massively overpaid #2 center. At 5.5 mil for 3-4 years Stastny would be a nice signing, at around 7 mil AAV over 6-7 years it's overpayment and a potential Clarkson type deal.

PLUS the real clincher is, Stastny is a solid player but his numbers are no better than Desharnais the last 3 years...131 points in 190 games(vs 140 points in 208 games). This guy isn't Kopitar, Toews or Crosby...not even close.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The point is, you don't go spend around 50 mil on a guy to be your #1 center when you think Galchenyuk will be that guy in 2-3 years. Either Stastny would block Galchenyuk or you have a massively overpaid #2 center. At 5.5 mil for 3-4 years Stastny would be a nice signing, at around 7 mil AAV over 6-7 years it's overpayment and a potential Clarkson type deal.

PLUS the real clincher is, Stastny is a solid player but his numbers are no better than Desharnais the last 3 years...131 points in 190 games(vs 140 points in 208 games). This guy isn't Kopitar, Toews or Crosby...not even close.
Wow, Monctonscout.... probably the best post I've ever read from you. Good work.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

DD is the number 1 C because the coach wants it that way... everyone knows a guy like Plekanec could get those 50 pts given the best wingers on the team and prime PP time...

but the coach decided it would be DD cause DD cant do anything but pass... wether we sign Stastny or not, DD will not change and is usage neither...

besides, since DD need the best wingers to be average, who's going to play on Stastny wing ? guys like Gionta, Prust, Moen, Bournival like with Plekanec ? damn! that would be a waste of 7 for 7...

TopTenPlayz

Jun 6, 2014

I understand your point. It's just that we have different evaluations of Stastny. I see him way better than DD regardless of their stats sheets the past three seasons. Obviously, Stastny is not in the same caliber as Toews, Kopi, etc. But none of those guys are available and won't ever be. I see Stastny as the same caliber as Krejci. We do agree that his worth is around 5.5M per season but since he could be an UFA, he price tag goes up. It goes with the business. I'd rather overpay for a guy like him than paying 3-5M to players to play on our bottom 6 like we've been doing for the past 3-4 years. Equally, i don't think he'd slow down Galchenyuk's develoment at all, he'd allow Galchenyuk to slowly groom into a 1st line center. But this is just my opinion. Besides, Colorado might decide to keep Stastny and move O'reilly instead so it's a moot point anyway.

TopTenPlayz

Jun 6, 2014
I understand your point. It's just that we have different evaluations of Stastny. I see him way better than DD regardless of their stats sheets the past three seasons. Obviously, Stastny is not in the same caliber as Toews, Kopi, etc. But none of those guys are available and won't ever be. I see Stastny as the same caliber as Krejci. We do agree that his worth is around 5.5M per season but since he could be an UFA, he price tag goes up. It goes with the business. I'd rather overpay for a guy like him than paying 3-5M to players to play on our bottom 6 like we've been doing for the past 3-4 years. Equally, i don't think he'd slow down Galchenyuk's develoment at all, he'd allow Galchenyuk to slowly groom into a 1st line center. But this is just my opinion. Besides, Colorado might decide to keep Stastny and move O'reilly instead so it's a moot point anyway.

DD is the number 1 C because the coach wants it that way... everyone knows a guy like Plekanec could get those 50 pts given the best wingers on the team and prime PP time...

but the coach decided it would be DD cause DD cant do anything but pass... wether we sign Stastny or not, DD will not change and is usage neither...

besides, since DD need the best wingers to be average, who's going to play on Stastny wing ? guys like Gionta, Prust, Moen, Bournival like with Plekanec ? damn! that would be a waste of 7 for 7...

If Stastny signs, DD's gone

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

I agree with what you're saying at the numbers you're talking about. But if you drop them down a little than you have a very different scenario IMO.

if you can get him at $6-6.5M on a 4-6 year deal, then I think you have a very good situation going forward as long as you dump DD. Also, Stastny is 28 and has another 4 or 5 years before he peaks so you're getting a very good player in his prime. That being said, having him at his current $6.5 would be a great value. Even if you had to over pay a little and get close to the $7M mark, it stil wouldn't be the end of the world especially if you off load DD and Briere and their combined $7.5M contracts.

While Stastny is the #1, you groom Chucky to take the spot but still have a very servicable #1 (best we've had in a loooong time) to handle the load until he's ready. Once he's ready for the roll in a few years (say 2-4) Stastny's contract is what a 2nd line centre's would be as long as the cap keeps increasing as it should and Chucky will be very cheap for a #1 until he gets his long term deal. Then you're left with 3 very good top 6 centres and Eller or someone like him as your 3rd line. You can never have too much depth at centre!

Cap wise it makes sense, age wise it makes sense and development wise it also works. Also, this line up looks a lot better than what we currently have.

Patches Stastny Gally
Chucky Plex Bork
Weise Eller Gio/UFA/Prospect
Moen Bournival Prust

and we save $500k - $1M compared to having DD and Briere in the line up!

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I agree with what you're saying at the numbers you're talking about. But if you drop them down a little than you have a very different scenario IMO.

if you can get him at $6-6.5M on a 4-6 year deal, then I think you have a very good situation going forward as long as you dump DD. Also, Stastny is 28 and has another 4 or 5 years before he peaks so you're getting a very good player in his prime. That being said, having him at his current $6.5 would be a great value. Even if you had to over pay a little and get close to the $7M mark, it stil wouldn't be the end of the world especially if you off load DD and Briere and their combined $7.5M contracts.

While Stastny is the #1, you groom Chucky to take the spot but still have a very servicable #1 (best we've had in a loooong time) to handle the load until he's ready. Once he's ready for the roll in a few years (say 2-4) Stastny's contract is what a 2nd line centre's would be as long as the cap keeps increasing as it should and Chucky will be very cheap for a #1 until he gets his long term deal. Then you're left with 3 very good top 6 centres and Eller or someone like him as your 3rd line. You can never have too much depth at centre!

Cap wise it makes sense, age wise it makes sense and development wise it also works. Also, this line up looks a lot better than what we currently have.

Patches Stastny Gally
Chucky Plex Bork
Weise Eller Gio/UFA/Prospect
Moen Bournival Prust

and we save $500k - $1M compared to having DD and Briere in the line up!

I know Stastny is bigger and a better all around players than Desharnais...but I don't see how one is worth 6.5 mil AAV over 5-6 years and the other should be dumped with 3 years and 3.5 mil AAV left.

Stastny's true "value" on the cap is 5.5-5.75 mil at best. 6.5 mil(which he probably won't sign for as a UFA but maybe for Col as a hometown discount) is still a 750-1 mil overpayment. I expect him closer to 6-7 years at 6.75-7.25 mil as a UFA because teams have money with the cap going up, and the market is not strong.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I know Stastny is bigger and a better all around players than Desharnais...but I don't see how one is worth 6.5 mil AAV over 5-6 years and the other should be dumped with 3 years and 3.5 mil AAV left.

Stastny's true "value" on the cap is 5.5-5.75 mil at best. 6.5 mil(which he probably won't sign for as a UFA but maybe for Col as a hometown discount) is still a 750-1 mil overpayment. I expect him closer to 6-7 years at 6.75-7.25 mil as a UFA because teams have money with the cap going up, and the market is not strong.

Unfortunately UFA's tend to take advantage of desperate GM's hungry to sign a player to make a difference. So the price will most likely be too high on Stastny which is why it likely won't make sense. But if by some miracle he was open to numbers close to those in my post, I'd be inclined to upgrade DD.

As for DD and his contract, that deserves a thread all on it's own. He gets the numbers but in large part it's due to Patches scoring 30+ goals a year. Some will argue it's a chicken or the egg situation but I don't think it is. Patches is a consistent 30+ goal scorer which are hard to find. Yes he needs a centre to pass him the puck which DD is only too happy to do but that's not to say another talented centre couldn't pass a puck.

Given their respective linemates and past performance, I dont' see why Stastny, playing with Patches couldn't out produce DD and be a better more rounded player than DD is as well as not be pushed off the puck so easily. He's a bigger, better and with that, more expensive option but a better one none the less.

If the Habs want to get better they're going to have to upgrade on certian positons, cantre is one. Barring a trade for Jumbo Joe etc which would cost us a huge amount of future assets, Stastny is going to be as good as it gets without losing anything for him.

Worse comes to worse, there's always a market for a player like Stastny whereas DD is a much harder player to trade away.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Unfortunately UFA's tend to take advantage of desperate GM's hungry to sign a player to make a difference. So the price will most likely be too high on Stastny which is why it likely won't make sense. But if by some miracle he was open to numbers close to those in my post, I'd be inclined to upgrade DD.

As for DD and his contract, that deserves a thread all on it's own. He gets the numbers but in large part it's due to Patches scoring 30+ goals a year. Some will argue it's a chicken or the egg situation but I don't think it is. Patches is a consistent 30+ goal scorer which are hard to find. Yes he needs a centre to pass him the puck which DD is only too happy to do but that's not to say another talented centre couldn't pass a puck.

Given their respective linemates and past performance, I dont' see why Stastny, playing with Patches couldn't out produce DD and be a better more rounded player than DD is as well as not be pushed off the puck so easily. He's a bigger, better and with that, more expensive option but a better one none the less.

If the Habs want to get better they're going to have to upgrade on certian positons, cantre is one. Barring a trade for Jumbo Joe etc which would cost us a huge amount of future assets, Stastny is going to be as good as it gets without losing anything for him.

Worse comes to worse, there's always a market for a player like Stastny whereas DD is a much harder player to trade away.

At 3.5 mil cap hit, Desharnais would be easy to trade...Stastny at 7 mil/year, I'm not convinced that's a big market, especially if it's for 6-7 years. Good player, but not an elite talent.

Habitant#1

Feb 15, 2006
Brisbane
At 3.5 mil cap hit, Desharnais would be easy to trade...Stastny at 7 mil/year, I'm not convinced that's a big market, especially if it's for 6-7 years. Good player, but not an elite talent.

Dunno, there's always a team willing to take big contracts. Hell, NYR even got McDonagh for Gomez!

The contracts that hurt are the ones given to third liners that have had a career year. I don't think Stastny falls in that category, or Vanek for that matter. I wouldn't hesitate to sign either. Even if they don't turn out great you'll still get something for them, which would end up being a free asset (only money).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad