If Patrick Marleau has another productive year. Would you want the leafs to resign him?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The contract is designed for him to be moved after this season to a non-cap team. High cap hit, low real dollars on the cheques. Opposite of what Leafs care about. After this season he's gone.
Is Marleau aware of this? What is the point of his NMC ?

Reactions: CanadasTeam

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
I think they’re going to bridge nylander and once marleau is off the books sign nylander to a marner contract.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
The contract is designed for him to be moved after this season to a non-cap team. High cap hit, low real dollars on the cheques. Opposite of what Leafs care about. After this season he's gone.
The base salary for Marleau is the exact same ($1.5M) in each of the 3 years of his contract - The only change to his salary comes in the form of his signing bonuses, which depreciate in value in each year of his contract (Year 1 - $7M; Year 2 - $4.5M; Year 3 - $3M), as the player himself depreciates in value.

All 3 years of this contract have a high cap hit with low actual dollars, so what exactly is it about this 3rd year that suddenly makes the contract structure all about moving it?

Unless the Leafs win the Cup this year and Marleau decides he's now tired of winning, I think we see Patty play out the remainder of his contract with us, with Willy and/or Marner being signed to a bridge contract through the 2019/20 season in order to keep our roster together through the cap crunch. Obviously there's a lot that can happen between now and then, but I just can't imagine Dubas is going to be looking to strip away pieces from what we already have over the next 2 years, if he can help it. People trying to trade away Marleaus/Zaitsevs, etc. when we're looking to be Cup Favourites will likely be disappointed.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Fighter jets are designed with ejector seats, doesn't mean that the pilot doesn't plan on landing.

You'd swear people have never heard of contingency planning

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
All 3 years of this contract have a high cap hit with low actual dollars, so what exactly is it about this 3rd year that suddenly makes the contract structure all about moving it?
The general idea would be that after getting his signing bonus, he's gotten 17.5 of his 18.75 million dollars on the contract already. A team wanting to reach cap floor could then acquire him for a $6.25M push while only having to pay 1.25 or so.

What speaks against this being the plan is that you can't plan for what other teams will need. There might not be a team needing to reach the floor going into his last season.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
The general idea would be that after getting his signing bonus, he's gotten 17.5 of his 18.75 million dollars on the contract already. A team wanting to reach cap floor could then acquire him for a $6.25M push while only having to pay 1.25 or so.

What speaks against this being the plan is that you can't plan for what other teams will need. There might not be a team needing to reach the floor going into his last season.
I get that. The caveat I see with this, though, is the fact that the base salary is structured the exact same in each year - If all they were concerned about was making sure the last year of his contract was movable, then it wouldn't matter how that $17.5M was paid out up to that point. That each year of the contract contained a significant signing bonus, with consistent, identical base salaries in all 3 years, leads me to believe that he was more interested in getting a lump sum each July 1st than he is in leaving Toronto in year 3.

I could be wrong, but making assumptions and inferences based on how the last year of the contract is structured feels like a waste of time when the entire contract was structured that way, not just that last year.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I get that. The caveat I see with this, though, is the fact that the base salary is structured the exact same in each year - If all they were concerned about was making sure the last year of his contract was movable, then it wouldn't matter how that $17.5M was paid out up to that point. That each year of the contract contained a significant signing bonus, with consistent, identical base salaries in all 3 years, leads me to believe that he was more interested in getting a lump sum each July 1st than he is in leaving Toronto in year 3.

I could be wrong, but making assumptions and inferences based on how the last year of the contract is structured feels like a waste of time when the entire contract was structured that way, not just that last year.
Good point.

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
If he takes close to league minimum for one season and he's not taking a more deserving players space, sure.
Otherwise hell no.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Well, he and his agent must have recognized the implications of the contract being structured the way it is.

The point of the NMC is that he gets to do whatever he wants.
What makes you think he will waive his NMC to go to a non-cap team? He wants to play for a contending team and win a cup, not go to some low cap team that has a lesser chance to fulfill his desires. That's the reason he signed with the leafs. He is here for the next 2 seasons, like it or not.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
What makes you think he will waive his NMC to go to a non-cap team?

I don't think that. He might not. He could want to stay, or take his bonus and retire as well.

He wants to play for a contending team and win a cup, not go to some low cap team that has a lesser chance to fulfill his desires. That's the reason he signed with the leafs. He is here for the next 2 seasons, like it or not.

If there is no chance, then why did they structure the contract the way they did? Did Lou not think this through like you did?

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I don't know. He might not. He could want to stay, or take his bonus and retire as well.

If there is no chance, then why did they structure the contract the way they did?
He wanted more money upfront. That's why. It's done by NHL players quite frequently.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
marleau's career has been shockingly healthy and productive, if his game doesnt slow down into his 38-39 years, then dam that is surprising and good for him

i mean if that happens and we winning and competing, and he wants to come back for 1 year 1-2 mill, how can you say no...but it has to be low salary cause we right up against the cap with all our young talent

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
It depends on how successful the team is, how close to the cap we are, if he regresses at all, and how willing he is willing to play for a low dollar contract on a potentially cup contending team.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad