If Patrick Marleau has another productive year. Would you want the leafs to resign him?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
A question, for those who think Patrick Marleau will in some way vanish off the Maple Leaf roster in the third year of his deal.

Imagine you're Patrick Marleau. You moved your family to the opposite side of the continent partly for more money, yes. But also because you've played 19 seasons in the NHL and almost 1500 games, and you haven't won a Stanley Cup yet. And you believe that Toronto's young core represent a good opportunity for you to finally win one to cap off your Hall of Fame career.

So unless your level of play falls off a cliff this coming season, and especially if the Maple Leafs fall short of winning the Cup this year...why exactly would agree to waive your no-movement-clause and leave the Leafs? Especially now that they've added John Tavares and really upped their Cup chances.

Wouldn't you want to stay and take another crack at winning?

It depends on what was said when that contract was signed.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
You're not trading Marleau without retaining any salary.

He wants to win a cup and if Toronto looks like they could do it, he likely wouldn't waive anyway. And if he did, it would only be to go to a solid Stanley Cup Contender - which would likely have its own cap troubles
His salary the season after next is 1.25m after his bonus that is due July 1st. His cap hit is the issue. I really believe that he told the Leafs that he was going to play two more years and wanted more money so they structured his contract the way it is as he will only be paid 1.25m to play the last year.

Time will tell but moving his contract would be easy if he was to retire. Teams needing to get to the floor would take his contract in a second.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Paying $6.5mm for what will be a 40yo -- and losing out on a profoundly more productive JVR for just half a million bucks more -- makes me extra glad crazy Lou is gone.
:facepalm:
Yeah, we'd be MUCH better off with JVR at $7x7, wouldn't we?

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
His salary the season after next is 1.25m after his bonus that is due July 1st. His cap hit is the issue. I really believe that he told the Leafs that he was going to play two more years and wanted more money so they structured his contract the way it is as he will only be paid 1.25m to play the last year.

Time will tell but moving his contract would be easy if he was to retire. Teams needing to get to the floor would take his contract in a second.
I think that depends on his production this year. If he is able to be an effective player, I don't see him retiring or wanting to go to anywhere else but a contending team.

If he slows down and has a rough year, he may retire which your plan would be very easy to do. He may want to go out on top and not milk a few more years playing low minutes on a low line somewhere.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
He won't be here after next year we all knew that the moment he signed just by how the contract was structured

82y9Q9.png

Exactly.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
I think that depends on his production this year. If he is able to be an effective player, I don't see him retiring or wanting to go to anywhere else but a contending team.

Leafs will need all of the cap space they can get after this season. I expect a trade somewhere close to SJ.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
Leafs will need all of the cap space they can get after this season. I expect a trade somewhere close to SJ.
I don't disagree but they handed a 35+ player a full NMC so it is entirely up to Marleau. There are no options for the Leafs that I can see. Marleau has to want to go which may not be the case if the Leafs do well this year.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
No chance they re-sign him after 3 years. They’ll need cap space for the big 3 and to bring up some low-priced Marlies to fill in the holes.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
To be honest, can't see anything wrong with his game, most likely he'll remain on the roster for the term of his contract, hope he's on the team when we win. Quality player like him deserves a ring.
This is my thoughts as well. I wonder sometimes why I see some fans rather see him gone instead of wishing he continues to do well and stay put... his record speaks for itself and his character is a must-have on any team. We're very fortunate he chose to come here and we're very lucky to have him.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
We have AJ, Kappy, Dermott who will need raises aside from the big-3s contracts. We have Gardiner we have to potentially resign. We also don't have room for him considering Grundstrom, Bracco, Engvall, Timashov will soon be joining the competition for a winger spot against Marner, Nylander, Johnsson, Kapanen, Brown, Hyman.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
doubt it will make sense with other young guys pushing for ice, but it wouldn't make any sense under the cap regardless. the whole reason Marleau was signed was as gravy because the big 3 were cheap.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I thought he was one of the very few players who looked solid in the playoffs.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Marleau has value for us this coming season. The contract was signed and constructed with the view that he would be part of the solution for the first 2 years of his contract. That being said it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he is dealt next summer to help out with the cap number. Once the Leafs pay out his bonus his salary will be just over a million for the last season with a cap hit of 6 million. A team like Arizona or someone else may take him on if hes productive this season on a cheap contract but higher cap hit.

The Leafs will use that money to re-sign whom they need to. The big tell will be if they resign Gardiner prior to this season ending. If Gardiner is resigned to what he will be worth on the open market, this could very well be Marleau's last season with his cap number going to Gardiner.

dzombs

Jul 8, 2016
If he's still flying and keeping up and contributing and healthy, I'd only sign him to cheap 1 year deals until he can't keep up

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown
Marleau has value for us this coming season. The contract was signed and constructed with the view that he would be part of the solution for the first 2 years of his contract. That being said it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he is dealt next summer to help out with the cap number. Once the Leafs pay out his bonus his salary will be just over a million for the last season with a cap hit of 6 million. A team like Arizona or someone else may take him on if hes productive this season on a cheap contract but higher cap hit.

The Leafs will use that money to re-sign whom they need to. The big tell will be if they resign Gardiner prior to this season ending. If Gardiner is resigned to what he will be worth on the open market, this could very well be Marleau's last season with his cap number going to Gardiner.
Why would he want to go to Arizona?

SH15

May 11, 2012
Toronto, ON
The contract is designed for him to be moved after this season to a non-cap team. High cap hit, low real dollars on the cheques. Opposite of what Leafs care about. After this season he's gone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad