If Patrick Marleau has another productive year. Would you want the leafs to resign him?

beleaf101

Aug 9, 2009
At least he showed up in game 7 in .Boston. The young guns who every one wants to pay big dollers to were no where to be found.

Lets hope he retires a stanley cup winner.

Reactions: NoTouchIcing

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
If he has another productive year, he still has ANOTHER year left after that. We aren't paying Marleau 6.5 million for his offensive production, it's his leadership. In a few years he's going to be 40 and that money will be needed for other guys that aren't in the twilight of their career. He's useful right now mentoring the kids but there's only so much cap space to go around on a contending team for those types of guys. Maybe if he's willing to sign a cheap one year deal with us and his production doesn't fall off a cliff in the next two years.

Mar 26, 2010
After the 2 years on his contract are up, No, too,old.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
during cuts, its not like you go down the list and go, oh 27, thats a nice age, you make the team, 23, good i like that age, your on, 35, oh no too old man too old, 40 omg get lost, like you kinda gotta be able to play games and play hockey good, and marleau is a rarity, he doesnt miss games ever and just continues to play full seasons year after year and keeps producing and hes already super old

lets say he has a 50 point year in 2020 and still skating good, and wants to come back 1 more year at a good price, then ya you gotta at least consider bringing him back if no other better options are available

who knows, maybe we win back to back cups and he wants to come back for the hat trick and signs 1 year 1 mill to be on the 4th line, marleau is a great bottom 6 guy to have if he still can play and then he we win the 3rd cup who knows maybe he comes back again

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
I don't even want him for this season.

Huh??? Marleau played every game. Scored 27 regular season goals and scored 4 goals in the playoffs. He never misses a game and is still producing at a tremendous level. Top 50 in the league in goals, hasn’t missed a game this decade, still can push the pace, and is solid defensively.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Do we have a better option than re-signing Marleau when his contract is up? If not, as I'm sure his play will have diminished a bit with age, then we're not doing something right. Sign the best players you can to the contracts that best suit their position within the overall contract structure. I can't imagine Marleau fitting within the overall scheme after the next 2 years.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Do people really want to toss away young talented players in order to pay out premium cap space for a 40 year old? Because that is what the choice is going to be. Marleau is overpaid by at least a couple million for the production he provides and is on the verge of retirement. That cap space has to come from somewhere. Who's OK with saying bye bye to a Johnsson, a Kapanen, a Grundstrom etc., in order to retain Marleau?

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Marleau must be moved after this season, after his July 1st bonus. Leaving one year with 1.25 million in real money vs his 6.25 cap hit. July 1st 2019, the Leafs will have paid Marleau 17.5 million for 2 season's.

Why would a 40 yr old Marleau accept a trade before his 3rd year and move his family again?

Of course u dont re sign him with all the forward prospects this team has. He is expendable and replaceable right now.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Do people really want to toss away young talented players in order to pay out premium cap space for a 40 year old? Because that is what the choice is going to be. Marleau is overpaid by at least a couple million for the production he provides and is on the verge of retirement. That cap space has to come from somewhere. Who's OK with saying bye bye to a Johnsson, a Kapanen, a Grundstrom etc., in order to retain Marleau?
If we're talking about re-signing him, I don't think anyone in their right mind would assume we'd be giving 40-year-old Patrick Marleau the same $6.25M we gave 37-year-old Patrick Marleau.

If one understands that any extension would cost significantly less than his current contract, I'm not sure why they would then be concerned about losing a solid young player as a result of that extension.

Reactions: ACC1224

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Maybe if the cap goes up 125m, there will be room for on the Leafs.
Leafs are hoping by 2020/21 there LW is Hyman, Johnson, Grundstrom and maybe Engall, Tishmokov. More cost controlled especially in Matthews, Tavares, Nylander and Marner are expensive forwards at centre and RW.

The cap doesn’t need to go up 50% to sign an aging Marleau.

TimPeel

Dec 10, 2017
Did someone call Marleau a soft floater? I had my notions about this guy but he has proved a fantastic addition to our team and was one of the few guys that translated his regular season game into the playoffs. I hope he retires a Leaf. He is a legend.

Reactions: ajpro20

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
If we're talking about re-signing him, I don't think anyone in their right mind would assume we'd be giving 40-year-old Patrick Marleau the same $6.25M we gave 37-year-old Patrick Marleau.

If one understands that any extension would cost significantly less than his current contract, I'm not sure why they would then be concerned about losing a solid young player as a result of that extension.

The team runs that risk just by keeping him around for next year. Toronto has $31 mil in capspace or perhaps $34 tops. Look at who will be up for resigning: Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Kapanen, Johnsson, Leivo, Carrick as well as Rosen, Borgman and Gardiner (or capable defencemen to replace them). The team can't really afford to keep Marleau next year, let alone resign him. Or do you prefer overpaying old guys for one year vanity contracts that make's it impossible to sign our talented kids?

Last edited:

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
The team runs that risk just by keeping him around for next year. Toronto has $31 mil in capspace or perhaps $34 tops. Look at who will be up for resigning: Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Kapanen, Johnsson, Leivo, Carrick as well as Rosen, Borgman and Gardiner (or capable defencemen to replace them). The team can't really afford to keep Marleau next year, let alone resign him. Or do you prefer overpaying old guys for one year vanity contracts that make's it impossible to sign our talented kids?
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/thre...he-off-season-of-2019.2515367/#post-147990239

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Dear god NO, look while Marleau is a great mentor to the kids and what we needed we already over paid once. He is going to be 39 soon, mules should he has found a fountain of youth this would be awful.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Depends how much he costs and how good he still is. If he wants $6m again, then he'd need to bag 30g and 30a each of the next two seasons. If he wants to come back for another year of 20/20 at $2m then I'm all for it. He was a very useful player for us this year.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I do feel he will produce more than last season given the talent he will play with.

stanleyorbust

Nov 29, 2009
If he’s still productive why not? Mark Recchi played well into his 40s and contributed to cup runs with Boston and Pittsburgh.

If you can get a Marleau type player putting up 40 points as a 40 year old and willing to play for under a few million is a great deal. Once all the kids sign the leafs will need cheap quality players to fill gaps and if Marleau still has it then why not. If his play has fallen off a cliff then you thank for for his time and wish him the best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad