If Patrick Marleau has another productive year. Would you want the leafs to resign him?

ajpro20

Jul 3, 2012
Toronto, ontario
Since people are crying on the main boards about this topic. I'll share it with you beauties.
Even though i know someone made this thread last year. I really wondered if leaf fans think he should be kept after next season

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I like him but he will not be a good fit for "this" team once his contract is up.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Marleau has 2 years left, he would need to be signed for the 2020-21 season. As long as it doesn't take money away from Nylander, Matthews, Marner etc which is unlikely. I mean how long can a team keep a 38+ year old making 6+ million. He'll be 40 by the time he hits UFA. Would have to be a real cheap deal and if he still has the skating ability and talent why not but more than likely Leafs will likely move on from him and that's probably the best option. He might even retire on his own by that time.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Maybe if the cap goes up 125m, there will be room for on the Leafs.
Leafs are hoping by 2020/21 there LW is Hyman, Johnson, Grundstrom and maybe Engall, Tishmokov. More cost controlled especially in Matthews, Tavares, Nylander and Marner are expensive forwards at centre and RW.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I hope we can get a cup for him, but I think he should be gone before his contract is up. Not really any interest in bringing him back after, even for a discount. Leafs have some great young wingers in the organization I'd like to see instead

Reactions: ajpro20 and crump

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I think after a cup, he will want to hang it up. If the leafs can't win in the next 2, the Shannaplan has hit a snag and will need correcting

Reactions: ajpro20

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I kinda think of it like the Martin situation. Martin came in and his job was to protect and mentor the kids, he did his job helping the kids grow up in the NHL imo. Marleau is a much, much better version of that.

Not saying the kids need someone like that to watch over them but Marleau seems to have been a great mentor in his time here so far. Not sure if we need that anymore even if he does have a good season with them.

Reactions: Ricky Bobby

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I hope we can get a cup for him, but I think he should be gone before his contract is up. Not really any interest in bringing him back after, even for a discount. Leafs have some great young wingers in the organization I'd like to see instead
Feel the same. Hope we win a cup while he is here, but he would be a 3/4 liner after this contract and he would need to take a BIG pay cut. It's possible, if he really likes how we are headed, but my gut says he retires as a Shark.

Handshot

Jan 28, 2015
Signing him for cheap for 1 year wouldn't be the worst thing, but I'm imagining we'll have a young guy (Grundstrom, someone else?) who could benefit from being higher in the lineup at a cheaper cap hit than what marleau would give us

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Leafsguard

Feb 1, 2018
So I compare Marleau (contract) to the contract that the Leafs did with Matt Martin not 2018-19 season but 19-20 season. We need to remember that the AAV isn't the actual cap hit as of right now the Leafs have paid Marleau about $13M of the $18.75 M. The reason I compared to Martin look at how many takers there were for him after the Leafs paid the $1.5 bonus. Next year they pay $3M signing bonus so only $1.250 M in actual money, it appears that some teams are more concerned about the actual dollars then the cap it! From what i've seen there has been no decline he should be good

member 300185

Yes, as long as he is putting up points. Great leader and has a calming presence for the young guys. His leadership is invaluable.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I think after a cup, he will want to hang it up. If the leafs can't win in the next 2, the Shannaplan has hit a snag and will need correcting

As long as we make it to the conference finals in one of the next two years, we are still on track.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I'd take him back at league min, playing infrequent minutes if he only needs a few games to become the all-time games played leader. Otherwise no.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
depends how he looks this coming year and then his final, if hes still playing 70-80 games, giving me around 20-30 goals 40-50 points and not losing any more steps...i gotta think about bringing him back for 1 year if he wants to come back, but 2 years is a no, we do need to add a younger power forward eventually though

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
I think he retires at the end of his contract or starts playing a smaller role on the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad