If Patrick Marleau has another productive year. Would you want the leafs to resign him?

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
Not as a player but if he retires and wants a management position, I'm sure we could fit him in
The idea of needing vets is overrated. We'll have younger and better players who'll overtake him

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Not unless it's on a sweetheart of a deal.

And I'm confused, who's crying about what on the main boards? If Marleau should be re-signed?

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Marleau still has "it" but I seriously doubt he will in 2 more years, at the age of 41(after his contract here, when he'd maybe be starting another new season or retiring....).

ajpro20

Jul 3, 2012
Toronto, ontario
Not unless it's on a sweetheart of a deal.

And I'm confused, who's crying about what on the main boards? If Marleau should be re-signed?
Naw people kept crying that the post was strictly for our leafs forum. Even though i see posts about marner nylander and matthews on the main boards LOL. Gosh they have a 34 page thread talking about matthews and mcdavid LOL. I never saw what the big deal was that i posted this thread there. But it's whatever aha

Reactions: BayStreetBully

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I like him, but it’s very clear IMO that this will be his last season with the Leafs. He’s got 2 years left, and we have cap space for him this year, but the year after there will be a big cap crunch with Matthews and Marner getting huge raises. Trading Marleau’s $6 mil cap hit is going to be one of the least painful ways to make room.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
I like him, but it’s very clear IMO that this will be his last season with the Leafs. He’s got 2 years left, and we have cap space for him this year, but the year after there will be a big cap crunch with Matthews and Marner getting huge raises. Trading Marleau’s $6 mil cap hit is going to be one of the least painful ways to make room.

That's a fair point about making cap room . . . but I still think it massively depends on how his season goes, and the Leafs success as it is tied to him.
I can see several scenarios that see him staying for next year . . .especially if he has a Selanne-style "late bloom" year with Matthews, and the line looks amazing with him on it. Among others.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Nmc

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008

You're not trading Marleau without retaining any salary.

He wants to win a cup and if Toronto looks like they could do it, he likely wouldn't waive anyway. And if he did, it would only be to go to a solid Stanley Cup Contender - which would likely have its own cap troubles

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
But why would Marleau move his family again in a year when he wanted to be here. He calls the shots on where he wants to play his 3rd year. Can’t see Toronto trading him.

Reactions: ACC1224

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Naw people kept crying that the post was strictly for our leafs forum. Even though i see posts about marner nylander and matthews on the main boards LOL. Gosh they have a 34 page thread talking about matthews and mcdavid LOL. I never saw what the big deal was that i posted this thread there. But it's whatever aha

Lol I saw how quickly the mod closed your thread on the main boards. Of course, the threads of players on other teams are still open. :laugh:

Reactions: ajpro20

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I would be quite surprised if they did, it would be certainly for no more than a 1-yr deal. He will have a lot of competition and likely would end up on a 4th line pairing.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
For league minimum as a 4th liner. Maybe.

He wasn't good this year. He was a passenger, basically just being the trailing 1-timer for our much more talented younger players. He did do that well. He did everything else badly: passing, exiting with possession, entering with possession...

We'd have been better off leaving Connor Brown there. Paying $6.5mm for what will be a 40yo -- and losing out on a profoundly more productive JVR for just half a million bucks more -- makes me extra glad crazy Lou is gone. The era of making those mistakes is over.

We can't afford him with our RFAs coming up due, anyway, so I imagine he might not even survive this year.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
This is a bit of a premature question. He is signed for 2 more years. Evaluate and make a decision then. This is like asking if we should re-sign Marner and Matthews for the 2030 season.

Marleau was exactly what we needed last year and he had a great season but that has nothing to do with anything 3 years from now.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He won't be here after next year we all knew that the moment he signed just by how the contract was structured

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Marleau is going to win the cup with the Leafs this upcoming season and then pull a Hossa in his third season
If we bout to blow up cuppa hell on this thang then that there is a possibility for sure brother. Marleau finna quit that thang when he wins it and if the club is at the same page with him. Then he might retire on their ass. He is certainly helping us a lot with his thang and making our young players even betta. We gotta appreciate that thang making us harder. Marleau even hits that thang at times, but he still got the speed and naturally. We finna win it all with him ese.

LeafGm

Jan 10, 2009
A question, for those who think Patrick Marleau will in some way vanish off the Maple Leaf roster in the third year of his deal.

Imagine you're Patrick Marleau. You moved your family to the opposite side of the continent partly for more money, yes. But also because you've played 19 seasons in the NHL and almost 1500 games, and you haven't won a Stanley Cup yet. And you believe that Toronto's young core represent a good opportunity for you to finally win one to cap off your Hall of Fame career.

So unless your level of play falls off a cliff this coming season, and especially if the Maple Leafs fall short of winning the Cup this year...why exactly would agree to waive your no-movement-clause and leave the Leafs? Especially now that they've added John Tavares and really upped their Cup chances.

Wouldn't you want to stay and take another crack at winning?

Reactions: ajpro20 and ACC1224

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad