If Not Benning (Your GM Candidate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
The club had announced that they were going to compete for the playoffs before Benning got here..There was no talk of a 'classic' rebuild.
Under the circumstances, I had no problem with his extensions..This has been a a crappy year, but I am optimistic about the young core Benning has assembled...I think they will be back on track next season.
If he's fired, I dont have a problem with that...7 years is a long enough lookey-loo..You rarely become GM for life..The Canucks have had GM's before Benning, and they'll have many more after..big deal.

You had no problem with his extensions after he failed multiple times at achieving the ridiculous playoff goal that he set for himself. You had no problem with his extensions after we had seen year after year bad contract after bad contract. You had no problem with his extensions after we had seen year after year him mortgaging the future by trading away draft picks or prospects for immediate help, and seeing him not bother to acquire draft picks to help restock the cupboards for the future.

Unfortunately the damage has already been done. Simply firing Benning now isn't going to make all those bad contracts go away. We're stuck with his negative lasting impact for the next 3 years.

Wasted cap space:

2021-22: $31.6M (Pearson, Roussel, Virtanen, Eriksson, Beagle, Ferland, Myers, Holtby)
2022-23: $12.75M (Pearson, Myers, Ferland)
2023-24: $9.25M (Pearson, Myers)

That's not including Schmidt who has 4 years left at just under $6M. Even though we only gave up a 3 for him I'm not too sure he's worth that contract (which explains why Vegas couldn't find a buyer).

By the time that third season is up Miller will be 31 and Horvat will be 29. They're wasted assets (and would need to be on new contracts by then). Any new GM is going to come in here and should be looking to trade those two.

Furthermore, Boeser will be 27, Pettersson will be 26, and Hughes 25. Still salvageable, but not nearly as much time left as there should have been with this core group.

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
lol thanks for being proud of me

I dont think i was ever an "ardent supporter" of Benning. I did try to give him some rope and stay objective at the beginning and call it as i saw it. What might have made me seem like a Benning supporter is that I was on the other side of Gillis supporters at times because i was done with his drafting record...which factually was the worst in the entire NHL. No team put less draft picks in the NHL over that period, and that includes other winning teams drafting low. i wanted and hoped that Benning would draft well as i feel this team needed a rebuild before most here did. After the Kings smoked them, i knew it was over. Some here wanted to hang on the Sedins forever. I didnt.

i tried to be objective and say the things that i liked that Benning did, and call him on the things i didnt, but you are right i wasnt fully anti Benning like now. i hated the Kesler trade as i wanted a prospect package that included Theodore. i saw early trouble signs but tried to be patient. There was one summer on here i stated i would decide on Benning, if he actualy committed to rebuild. i cant recall what year exactly it is all a blur now lol...but it would have been 2016, maybe 2017 as you say. That is when i was done with giving Benning a chance and knew he was an incompetent at this job.

Could have been 2016. i despised the Juolevi pick the second it was made. I also despised the Eriksson signing before the ink was dry.

i did find myself on the other side of debates at times wth the ardent anti Benning guys ...MS, Y2K, Tantalum, Arrtk etc so i see why you think i was ardent but it may have been more topic specific and i looked like i liked Benning. I have no trouble admitting those guys were right from day one while i was too patient until about 4 years ago. But you can only see so many poor decisions. That is why NOW, after 7 years i cant see how anyone can still defend his body of work.

Now i am as fed up as anyone and cannot believe the incompetence level in every facet of being a GM and cannot believe Benning still has a job after 7 years. i also know that ownership is the real problem.
This is 100% me, too. I haven't voted in the poll because I honestly can't remember the year I wanted him gone 100%. For a long time I wouldn't have been unhappy if he was fired but I didn't necessarily need him to be fired. I just saw good and bad things he'd done. I try to give everyone a chance, but the more and more information I get I add it to my analysis and may come to a different conclusion. I'm someone who has been pretty open to Benning from the start, but I've been of the opinion that he needs to go for a while now, so it's kinda baffling to me that there would be anyone who would still support him after the better part of a decade. It was about a sample size for me, I guess. I just gradually got less and less confident in what he was doing as time went on and I saw more patterns emerging.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
You had no problem with his extensions after he failed multiple times at achieving the ridiculous playoff goal that he set for himself. You had no problem with his extensions after we had seen year after year bad contract after bad contract. You had no problem with his extensions after we had seen year after year him mortgaging the future by trading away draft picks or prospects for immediate help, and seeing him not bother to acquire draft picks to help restock the cupboards for the future.

Unfortunately the damage has already been done. Simply firing Benning now isn't going to make all those bad contracts go away. We're stuck with his negative lasting impact for the next 3 years.

Wasted cap space:

2021-22: $31.6M (Pearson, Roussel, Virtanen, Eriksson, Beagle, Ferland, Myers, Holtby)

That's not including Schmidt who has 4 years left at just under $6M. Even though we only gave up a 3 for him I'm not too sure he's worth that contract (which explains why Vegas couldn't find a buyer).

By the time that third season is up Miller will be 31 and Horvat will be 29. They're wasted assets (and would need to be on new contracts by then). Any new GM is going to come in here and should be looking to trade those two.

Furthermore, Boeser will be 27, Pettersson will be 26, and Hughes 25. Still salvageable, but not nearly as much time left as there should have been with this core group.
No argument from me that Benning knee capped the team with poor UFA signings..However, this season, and next season brings more financial flexibility...Not really buying in to your doomsday prophecies (but you're welcome to them)
Again, I'm fully expecting a rebound next season.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

Wasted cap space:

And we don't have to wait and see about the next 3 years, we can analyze contracts, cap space, players performance v league avg, and player aging out.

Wait and see is such a bull shit deflection, but when that is all there is to defend this atrocious regime, what do we expect.

Well, that and outright making shit up.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
No argument from me that Benning knee capped the team with poor UFA signings..However, this season, and next season brings more financial flexibility...Not really buying in to your doomsday prophecies (but you're welcome to them)

What cap flexibility next season? There is 15m with 7-8 players to sign including 2 of our best players. Even if Seattle takes Holtby we will have to fill those roster spots with 1m dollar players.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
What cap flexibility next season? There is 15m with 7-8 players to sign including 2 of our best players. Even if Seattle takes Holtby we will have to fill those roster spots with 1m dollar players.
I was just repeating what Drance was saying...It really depends on what deals QH and EP get (bridge or otherwise)..
Speculate away.

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
@Burke's Evil Spirit wrote this in the other thread:

"Out-of-the-box POHO candidate for me is Reagan Carey. Played college hockey, then was in the Atlanta Thrashers front office for a bit, afterward she built USA women's hockey into a f***ing powerhouse in her 4 years as director : Olympic gold, 3 straight WC golds, 4 straight U-18 WC golds, 3 straight Four Nation's Cup wins.

Crazy to me that Hockey Canada gold old boys who perpetually disappoint get the red carpet rolled out to any team they want but someone who as actually built a dominant national program doesn't have a FO job. Google any interview with her, too. Extremely intelligent."

Getting back to the idea of this thread, I actually would be happy for someone like Reagan Carey to come in for some position in the Canucks' front office. What she did with USA women's hockey is impressive and, like he said with regards to her intelligence, would be a huge breath of fresh air in terms of a public image of the organization.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
How is if factual? The players were signed after we let them go for nothing. 2 of them were traded by trade deadline and generated return and the other one ended up playing for 5 years for another team.
Do you have like comprehension issues?
I dunno man. Somebody posted the trade history for 2 of them. Look at the lines underneath the yellow highlights.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I dunno man. Somebody posted the trade history for 2 of them. Look at the lines underneath the yellow highlights.

What does that have to do with the fact Benning missed out on getting assets on them? You said subsequently… subsequently, tornoto was able to get assets for both Santo and Matthias. Matthias continued to play for like 3 seasons after the leafs traded him away. Santo played for the preds and the ducks after leafs traded him away.
All 3 players were nhl players that could contribute that Benning let go for nothing and didn’t get a thing for.

If you are going to shill, at least get your facts right.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Well, you can say that, but it is 100% factual.
What's 100% factual is the players were let go by Benning for nothing, and either the teams that picked them up not only got value out of their services, they traded them for more value, or in the case of Richardson he outperformed for a half decade Benning' atrocious acquisitions, and at a fraction of the cost.

I won't repeat what your post is, because I am very prim.

Reactions: vanuck

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Feel free to discuss other possible GM replacements with me..but I'm done on derailing this thread on spilled milk, re-beating dead horses, circular arguments.

There's the management thread , and the tank thread,.take it there...it doesnt have to be every thread.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014

Seriously, what have you seen that gives you confidence Benning will act properly, any better with new cap space?

He still hasnt learned. Myers, Holtby, Pearson are all bad contracts, the more recent. He makes procedural blunders left and right. DiPietro playing 3 games in over a calender year.

Why on earth would you rush to sign Pearson at term over 3 million and give him NMC and promise to protect him in expansion draft?

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
The poll is black or white..Benning sucks (when should he have been fired), or you love Jim Benning..Answer is neither are true.

I disagree that Benning is dundering oaf 'Forrest Gump' like figure...whereas anything good he has done is ..1) a complete fluke 2) someone else's doing 3) the complete frickin obvious.......If you disagree with these claims, you're labelled a 'Benning supporter'..which is amusing.

There are no absolute 'Benning Supporters' here.

Bennings greatest achievement is the collection of young talent he has assembled, his downfall is knee capping the team with poor UFA signings which has impacted his cap flexibility...This will more than likely cost him his job ,and that would be justified...After 7 years.

This thread has just dissolved into the usual griping and sniping of the management thread..should just merge it.

You are projecting your own interpretation of things onto the polls choices. No where do the choices refer to "Benning Sucks" and instead the poll is to select "When did you want Benning fired as the Canucks GM".

So even in your long deflection of a response, you say "This will more than likely cost him his job, which would be justified". Saying something is justifiable is a far stretch from desiring that outcome yourself - which was clearly described in the poll as the choices.

After 7 years of knee capping this team - do you want Jim Benning fired as GM?

As well, if assembling young talent is his "greatest" achievement, what's the list of his other actual achievements?

Reactions: I am toxic
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad