If Not Benning (Your GM Candidate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Hoping for a serious discussion about GM candidates.

I think we had a discussion several years ago. Julien Brisebois was my choice before Yzerman unexpectedly stepped down. Hextall was another guy I liked but he currently has a GM job.

Dean Lombardi, who has reportedly spurned the Canucks multiple times seems content to live his life as an advisor but I am much more comfortable having him as a GM in a scorch earth rebuild than a GM tasked to take a team to the next level. Then again, he has never taken over a team where he was tasked to take a team to the next level so falling in love with players he drafted wouldn't be an issue.

A lot of "up and coming" GM candidates did get a job or crashed and burned. Don't want Mike Futa. I don't think Gilman will make a good GM. What are some good up and coming GM candidates?

What about the established guys? Dale Tallon seems like a sideways move. George McPhee? Is he content with his current role? Would certainly be a big splash hiring - the prodigal son returns? Was never a fan of Don Waddell but it doesn't sound like Waddell is happy with his current arrangement. Nashville has played their way back to playoff contention so I don't think Poile would be available. There's also Mike Gillis.

What about guys who may become available? Let's face it, GMs who are let go tend to have managed their team to the ground. Treliving might get fired. I think he's pretty good at RFA signings and even trades, but the results speak for themselves. He's not very good at building a winning team.

So if not Benning, who is your preferred GM candidate? For me, I would be happy with Lombardi, McPhee, or Gillis.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Would like to see Gillis with his whole new setup, except for amateur scouting maybe, but that is not going to happen. Guess Tulsky or Gilman would be nice but let's be realistic, there is not enough information out there on most candidates that would allow for anything more than a good guess.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
There is the FA factor to consider. A quality, experienced person is likely not going to work for our owner. Going to be a new guy, who wants to make a name, and believes he can work under FA’s directives.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Try to poach a good gm by offering them a "promotion" to president of the Canucks. Have the new president bring in a young up and comer to work with. I doubt it would work though since nobody in their right mind would want to work for our terrible owner.

Reactions: Zippgunn

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Would like to see Gillis with his whole new setup, except for amateur scouting maybe, but that is not going to happen. Guess Tulsky or Gilman would be nice but let's be realistic, there is not enough information out there on most candidates that would allow for anything more than a good guess.

i’d like to cryogenically reanimate pat quinn’s corpse, or at least hire burke and george mcphee to weekend at bernie’s him

Reactions: SamInVan

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
I would have fired the entire front office when Ron Francis became available but that ship has sailed so I'd hang back a bit and watch the SJ situation. Really hoping Doug Wilson becomes available this summer.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
i’d like to cryogenically reanimate pat quinn’s corpse, or at least hire burke and george mcphee to weekend at bernie’s him
tenor.gif

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Definitely not Gillis! There’s better candidates out there.
I’d like to get an up and comer rather than an old retread myself. But the advantage of an established guy is that he would likely insist on full autonomy from ownership before taking the job.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
I've felt for a long time Hunter deserves a shot somewhere, maybe pick up a Waddell or other get GM as president of hockey opps. Him and a vet coach like Boudreau/Gallant/etc would be a huge win.

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
The question should not be who will serve as the best GM - the question should be whether or not that GM will be given the autonomy and independence to actually do what is required to make this a better team. While none of us really know the inner workings of this organization, I think we have all seen enough to know that the Owner is constantly meddling with the decision-making process. While it is the Owner's money, if the Owner wants the team to do well, he should set the budget, establish some basic financial parameters and get the hell out of the way. Otherwise, the new GM will likely share the same fate as the incumbent.

Now, if the Owner is tired of losing and is willing to grant that independence, the first hire should not be a GM. It should be a President of Hockey Operations. There may be a number of good candidates and, while I know this is pie in the sky, I'm only half-joking when I suggest Masai Ujiri as the ideal candidate for that position. Ultimately though, the person does not matter as much as the mandate.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Definitely not Gillis! There’s better candidates out there.
I’d like to get an up and comer rather than an old retread myself. But the advantage of an established guy is that he would likely insist on full autonomy from ownership before taking the job.
I would agree with going with someone new, but would have to be someone like Zito who has put in his time, in the management role.

But, everything comes down to the owner. He can cast whatever net he wants but, will he actually listen to candidates who provide him with an analysis of how the Canucks were run over the past several years and where they went wrong and what he/she now needs to do to correct it?

Gillis train is over and done with. He is never returning to the NHL. Over half the GM roles have changed over in the 7 years since he was last employed. Out of sight, out of mind now. Did he even get interviewed by Pitt when Burke/Hextall landed the President/GM role?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad