If Not Benning (Your GM Candidate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
It's quite telling, who won't state state their position on this subject of Benning's length of tenure, and the previous about whether Benning is a good or bad GM.

We all have our biases.

Mine is for honest debate.
It's comical to have read the hundreds, maybe thousands of posts, that have shown complete bias in preaching the fake achievements of a single person, relating to their role as GM of the Canucks. Showing complete disregard for the success of the franchise he works for and putting his fandom ahead of everything and all. Yet almost none of those posters will just click a box that states "I support Jim Benning as GM of the Canucks". There are probably more sarcastic votes for that choice than genuine.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
:laugh: @ people's takes on Weekes or Ferraro being a GM. They have the same hockey management experience as me...which is zero.

I agree with others who have suggested Tulsky from Carolina. But names that haven't really been mentioned are Chris MacFarland from Colorado, Brandom Pridham from Toronto and Stacy Roest from Tampa.

All talented, young GMs from successful organizations. (I know I know Toronto hasn't done much)

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Not really. Every contract is negotiated separately. Hamhuis for example had a full NTC. Vrbata had a modified NTC and purposely chose teams that would not be interested in him. How many players of Hamhuis and Vrbata's calibre didn't get at least some sort of NTC?

You’re wrong in this one. Benning has given out more NMC / NTC per capita (signing ) than any other active GM.

Reactions: Erub ot Ynligom

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
It does cost you picks yes, but Gillis also didn't use the picks he kept very well. C'est la vie.

Sadly, Benning has brought us to now. And I am sad and tired. I do not see a way out of being a mediocre team at best for the next two to three seasons without some extremely clever maneuvering. I don't know who should be the next person to try to create a contending Canucks team, but I have seen seven years of evidence to prove to me it is not Jim Benning.

Benning is gone. It appears I was correct 3-4 months ago when I said Benning was not allowed to sign TG to a contract as FA didn’t give him authority to do so. FA didn’t wanna have TG there in case he fires JB (which he is) and wants the new GM to hire his own coach.

my issue is, the season can’t come to an end fast enough. Even this extra week is a week less the new GM has to pick our top 7 pick.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Let's Play "Arm Chair Ownership!"
This is how I would do things, Flame away!

1 - Hire Jim Ruthaford as President of Hockey Operations:
I honestly Can't think about a More Credible name as a President that you can bring in, to look over this complete Regime change. Even at his Age, I feel he would bring respect, class, and honestly credibility once again, to the organization.

1 - Hire Mike Gillis as our General Manager.
Mike is a Proactive, Smart Executive, Who has a history with the Canucks, and his out of the ball thinking is exactly what we need to fix this Mess done in by Jim.

2 - Hire Roberto Luongo as our Assistant General Manager
While Inexperienced, I believe he would add instant Credibility to the Front Office, Really intelligent and Respect Player, Has roots in Vancouver, Loved mostly by the Fanbase, and would be groomed Nicely by Mike And jim and Potentially bypass GM to President Role in the future

3 - Hire Bruce boudreau - Bruce has a Magnitude of Experience, A fiery man, Well respected, and just loves to talk hockey. Reminds me a lot of Jon Cooper, which I am sure he learned at lot from Bruce.
Bruce makes the playoffs, He has consistently had his teams make the show, While never winning the cup, He is somebody who I would have complete trust with.

And that is who I think should run the show, Has a nice mix of Youth and Experience, Has a bunch of extremely smart individuals, and would get us back on track.

Last edited:

lawrence

May 19, 2012

Gillis has made it clear in a 2018 interview that it will never happen again. I'm going to assume they left on very bad terms and the fact that Francesco said he has no intentions of also hiring him at any capacity says it all.

Reactions: Zippgunn

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Gillis has made it clear in a 2018 interview that it will never happen again. I'm going to assume they left on very bad terms and the fact that Francesco said he has no intentions of also hiring him at any capacity says it all.
Well if the brother runs the show after this year (From sketchy reports), Maybe he won't have to deal with Francesco anymore?

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
If we do get a new GM I want them to be good communicators. Ie not use “uh, like, um...” as well, have decent personalities. I feel like Benning is a literal joke amongst all GM’s, no one takes him serious. I feel embarrassed that he represents “my” team. Please give us someone respectable!

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018
Preferably somebody who's not a 'Hockey Guy', actually someone who's never seen a hockey game before but understands analytics so when some moron pro scout who's been around for 700 years says "we need this guy, he's big & can skate, he'll really add to our line-up" the GM can say, "absolutely not you idiot, he sucks, look at these numbers, he cant control possession, he gives up an insane amount of high danger chances in his own end, he'd be terrible"

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Let's Play "Arm Chair Ownership!"
This is how I would do things, Flame away!

1 - Hire Jim Ruthaford as President of Hockey Operations:
I honestly Can't think about a More Credible name as a President that you can bring in, to look over this complete Regime change. Even at his Age, I feel he would bring respect, class, and honestly credibility once again, to the organization.

Mike is a Proactive, Smart Executive, Who has a history with the Canucks, and his out of the ball thinking is exactly what we need to fix this Mess done in by Jim.

2 - Hire Roberto Luongo as our Assistant General Manager
While Inexperienced, I believe he would add instant Credibility to the Front Office, Really intelligent and Respect Player, Has roots in Vancouver, Loved mostly by the Fanbase, and would be groomed Nicely by Mike And jim and Potentially bypass GM to President Role in the future

3 - Hire Bruce boudreau - Bruce has a Magnitude of Experience, A fiery man, Well respected, and just loves to talk hockey. Reminds me a lot of Jon Cooper, which I am sure he learned at lot from Bruce.
Bruce makes the playoffs, He has consistently had his teams make the show, While never winning the cup, He is somebody who I would have complete trust with.

And that is who I think should run the show, Has a nice mix of Youth and Experience, Has a bunch of extremely smart individuals, and would get us back on track.

I like. I like your posts.

this ain’t it tho.

no more linden-esque hirings or revisionism bringing back guys that used to work here.

I couldn’t care less of our new GM has ever laced up a pair of skates. I want a guy that knows how to negotiate , a business man that runs a business. Someone that surrounds himself with capable people in their respective fields. Someone well spoken that can communicate to this loyal patient fan base honestly. Someone that has a plan and shared it. Not Geoff Courtnall or Tony Tanti or Kirk McLean.

I want a coach that has coached 500 NHL games who’s voice just wore out where they were previously.

Reactions: DCantheDDad

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I second that @Johnny Canucker.

I want a manager first. Someone who is able to hire great people for various departments and actually defer to their expertise. Someone who recognizes they aren't the best at everything and is able to trust and empower those who are, to do their job. Someone to oversee all that.

I'm tired of how things have seemingly run, where if there are 10 things to do in an off season, Benning will start at one and won't look at two until one is finished and so on. That's how you run out of time.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I wish the Sedins would get into the management side of things. They strike me as extremely intelligent, and would learn very quickly.

Yep.

But I dont want them in there now.

The state of things are way too flammable.

Maybe when its more stable.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I wish the Sedins would get into the management side of things. They strike me as extremely intelligent, and would learn very quickly.
I’d be ok with that as long as they got some managerial experience somewhere else before coming here. I don’t want another Trevor Linden situation where he doesn’t have a clue what he’s doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad