If Not Benning (Your GM Candidate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Benning wasnt hired to hoard picks, he was hired to get the Canucks back in the playoffs ASAP...The mandate to compete for the playoffs (with the the newly signed Sedins) was made before Benning was even hired.

Except, as Botchford reported, Jim Benning sold ownership on the idea that he could turn the team around quickly. Benning pitched this plan to ownership.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
You can debate Jimbo's mostly awful trades and free agent signings until the cows come home, and it won't change this season or any of the past ones.

The only issue that matters now if what happens next, and how this franchise will get the complete 'reset' it desperately needs.

My guess, and it's only a guess.....Green and most of the coaching staff are gone, and the Aquilini's go out there an hire some sort of 'super-boss' who'll be in charge of every aspect of the franchise from player personnel to business operations.

They won't kick Benning to the curb.....but his power to make independent (and most disastrous) player moves will be serious curtailed. In essence he'll be a 'GM in name only'.
He's not allowed to re sign his coaching staff even though he's the GM...The previous GM couldn't even hire his own coach, or make trades..

The next GM of the Canucks will be managed exactly the same way...

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Except, as Botchford reported, Jim Benning sold ownership on the idea that he could turn the team around quickly. Benning pitched this plan to ownership.
I would expect any GM looking for a job that they would sell themselves and their abilities..this isn't a novel concept.

He turned the team around from 25th in the standings, to 5th in the Western Conference the following year.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I would expect any GM looking for a job that they would sell themselves and their abilities..this isn't a novel concept.

He turned the team around from 25th in the standings, to 5th in the Western Conference the following year.

You're missing the point. Benning just as easily could have come in here and sold ownership on an aggressive rebuild in order to contend for the Cup by 2018. He didn't do that. He legitimately thought he could turn this team around quickly, and every single comment and every single transaction he made is consistent with someone who believes in that. Benning failed miserably. He's been an unmitigated disaster as GM. You have been one of his biggest supporters on here, celebrating his contract extensions. I hope you've enjoyed the team this year because this is Jim Benning's team.

He will be fired. Hopefully now, because the longer you hold on to him the longer this team will be in the dumpster. Already the damage he has done to this team will last another 3 years beyond this season.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
It does cost you picks yes, but Gillis also didn't use the picks he kept very well. C'est la vie.

Sadly, Benning has brought us to now. And I am sad and tired. I do not see a way out of being a mediocre team at best for the next two to three seasons without some extremely clever maneuvering. I don't know who should be the next person to try to create a contending Canucks team, but I have seen seven years of evidence to prove to me it is not Jim Benning.

That is the thing in a nutshell.

From where the team is now, it will take some clever management and manuevering the next 2 years. What is painfully and undisputably clear, is that it is beyond Jim Benning's capability.

Aquilini needs to wake up an make a change NOW, before more damage is done.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
You're missing the point. Benning just as easily could have come in here and sold ownership on an aggressive rebuild in order to contend for the Cup by 2018. He didn't do that. He legitimately thought he could turn this team around quickly, and every single comment and every single transaction he made is consistent with someone who believes in that. Benning failed miserably. He's been an unmitigated disaster as GM. You have been one of his biggest supporters on here, celebrating his contract extensions. I hope you've enjoyed the team this year because this is Jim Benning's team.

He will be fired. Hopefully now, because the longer you hold on to him the longer this team will be in the dumpster. Already the damage he has done to this team will last another 3 years beyond this season.
The club had announced that they were going to compete for the playoffs before Benning got here..There was no talk of a 'classic' rebuild.
Under the circumstances, I had no problem with his extensions..This has been a a crappy year, but I am optimistic about the young core Benning has assembled...I think they will be back on track next season.
If he's fired, I dont have a problem with that...7 years is a long enough lookey-loo..You rarely become GM for life..The Canucks have had GM's before Benning, and they'll have many more after..big deal.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
And the year after that, he turned the team around again, didn't he.
No he didnt..that successful year put the management under the illusion that they could compete with the twins..and essentially gave us another two years of 'rebuild on the fly'

They should have rebuilt after being eliminated by the Flames in 2015.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Why did Vrbata and currently 12 Canucks have NTC in the first place? That’s the better question.

Not really. Every contract is negotiated separately. Hamhuis for example had a full NTC. Vrbata had a modified NTC and purposely chose teams that would not be interested in him. How many players of Hamhuis and Vrbata's calibre didn't get at least some sort of NTC?

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
It does cost you picks yes, but Gillis also didn't use the picks he kept very well. C'est la vie.

Sadly, Benning has brought us to now. And I am sad and tired. I do not see a way out of being a mediocre team at best for the next two to three seasons without some extremely clever maneuvering. I don't know who should be the next person to try to create a contending Canucks team, but I have seen seven years of evidence to prove to me it is not Jim Benning.

It would be nice if in hindsight of the hopeful end to the Benning regime people could revise their old opinions here.

1. GM's don't draft, scouting departments do
2. The scouting department Gillis took over from the Burke/Nonis regime was extremely poor
3. The revamped scouting department Gillis set up under Crawford, with additional hires made (including Brackett), that extended into Benning's term, was tracking very well.
4. The real error Gillis made, which he himself admitted, was taking too long to go from point #2 to point #3.

At the time he was fired a lot of the judgement being made was the results from the earlier years drafts when the Burke/Nonis crew was still in place, and people still had a very low opinion on Horvat because they thought it was a raw deal trading Schneider for him and we should have drafted Nichushkin. A real shame because a 2014 draft under Gillis would have really revamped his record much like how the 2004 draft for Nonis makes his regime look much more successful than they were actually capable of.

Reactions: racerjoe

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Just for context, it is important to note that Richardson and Matthias and Santorelli were also let go for nothing from their subsequent teams.
Time to call out your lies.
Matthias signed for the rebuilding leafs and was traded by them for a pick.
Santo also signed for the rebuilding leafs and was traded in a package for picks.
Richardson played for the Arizona for 5 seasons and I have no context to why he wasn’t traded during the trade deadline but the fact he still managed to get a deal with the preds meant that he is still a player of value.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
I
Time to call out your lies.
Matthias signed for the rebuilding leafs and was traded by them for a pick.
Santo also signed for the rebuilding leafs and was traded in a package for picks.
Richardson played for the Arizona for 5 seasons and I have no context to why he wasn’t traded during the trade deadline but the fact he still managed to get a deal with the preds meant that he is still a player of value.
m on my phone right now but I will post the transaction records from hockey dB later on.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Are you not doing the same? Waiting for changes to come?
No.

I called for changes 6 years ago, after Sbisa was re-signed.

I don't need to wait to see that next year's Canucks team will be no closer to contending for the Cup, nor the year after.

At which the only over-performing top 4 D we have might be Hughes. Might.

No, wait and see is bull shit code to deflect from analysis of what management has done, where it's got us, and what the next several years have in store.

It's bull shit.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I

m on my phone right now but I will post the transaction records from hockey dB later on.
Are you going to fabricate some fake info? Matthias was traded the season after we let him go for nothings
Santo got traded the season after we let him go.
Richardson spent 5 years with Coyotes and then now with the preds.

Reactions: Peen and I am toxic

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Are you going to fabricate some fake info? Matthias was traded the season after we let him go for nothings
Santo got traded the season after we let him go.
Richardson spent 5 years with Coyotes and then now with the preds.

Richardson was let go for nothing 5 years later! That proves he was worthless in 2015!

This is like saying we lost the 1991 trade with St. Louis because Ronning and Courtnall left for nothing years later.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It would be nice if in hindsight of the hopeful end to the Benning regime people could revise their old opinions here.

1. GM's don't draft, scouting departments do
2. The scouting department Gillis took over from the Burke/Nonis regime was extremely poor
3. The revamped scouting department Gillis set up under Crawford, with additional hires made (including Brackett), that extended into Benning's term, was tracking very well.
4. The real error Gillis made, which he himself admitted, was taking too long to go from point #2 to point #3.

At the time he was fired a lot of the judgement being made was the results from the earlier years drafts when the Burke/Nonis crew was still in place, and people still had a very low opinion on Horvat because they thought it was a raw deal trading Schneider for him and we should have drafted Nichushkin. A real shame because a 2014 draft under Gillis would have really revamped his record much like how the 2004 draft for Nonis makes his regime look much more successful than they were actually capable of.

I think you're operating under false assumptions. A GM can certainly be solely responsible for a player being drafted and there's plenty of evidence to that. Gillis also greatly expanded the scouting staff way before Crawford took over. So Gilman and Gillis' idea of going from #2 to #3 was really putting Crawford in charge, albeit it was a very significant move.

The other stuff is just subjective opinion of course. I certainly think putting Brackett in charge was better than keeping Crawford at the helm.

Cheeks Clapinski

Sep 26, 2017
I

upload_2021-5-14_13-33-33.png

upload_2021-5-14_13-34-29.png

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
No.

I called for changes 6 years ago, after Sbisa was re-signed.

I don't need to wait to see that next year's Canucks team will be no closer to contending for the Cup, nor the year after.

At which the only over-performing top 4 D we have might be Hughes. Might.

No, wait and see is bull shit code to deflect from analysis of what management has done, where it's got us, and what the next several years have in store.

It's bull shit.

I think you missed my point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad