If Not Benning (Your GM Candidate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feb 20, 2013
Screw it, give me Michael Edwards as GM and Jurgen Klopp as head coach.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
If we do get a new GM I want them to be good communicators. Ie not use “uh, like, um...” as well, have decent personalities. I feel like Benning is a literal joke amongst all GM’s, no one takes him serious. I feel embarrassed that he represents “my” team. Please give us someone respectable!

Yeah at least get someone who speaks the King's English and doesn't twitch a lot...

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory
I wish the Sedins would get into the management side of things. They strike me as extremely intelligent, and would learn very quickly.
I think its quite apparent they are family men now, and in consideration of how fast they went from pro hockey to marathoners, I have a feeling they are finished in any meaningful hockey capacity for the rest of their lives.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Friedman confirmed that Courtnall is involved. If Courtnall is involved then I can see Gillis in the mix as they both worked together in the past

Reactions: Bubbles

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Friedman confirmed that Courtnall is involved. If Courtnall is involved then I can see Gillis in the mix as they both worked together in the past

Gilman maybe as well (or just him)

Edit: And if Gillis is coming in, you can count on Crawford getting a AGM spot. Gillis liked the guy a lot and said he would always be the the first guy he d hire.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Gilman maybe as well (or just him)

Edit: And if Gillis is coming in, you can count on Crawford getting a AGM spot. Gillis liked the guy a lot and said he would always be the the first guy he d hire.

The thing is, would Gilman want to come back? He was interviewed for the GM spot and lost it to Benning, and then was let go because he disagreed too much with Benning, particularly with the boneheaded Sbisa/Dorsett extensions. Seems like the well might be poisoned to an extent.

Gilman also wants to win the Cup as badly as anyone else, and Toronto gives him a better chance at that. I mean if he’s the GM or President then it’s still a promotion from AGM but still.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
The thing is, would Gilman want to come back? He was interviewed for the GM spot and lost it to Benning, and then was let go because he disagreed too much with Benning, particularly with the boneheaded Sbisa/Dorsett extensions. Seems like the well might be poisoned to an extent.

Gilman also wants to win the Cup as badly as anyone else, and Toronto gives him a better chance at that. I mean if he’s the GM or President then it’s still a promotion from AGM but still.

GM's make a lot more money than AGM's. If Gillis is brought back as President I could see Gilman brought in as GM. Eric Crawford as AGM...sign me up for that! Plus, with Gillis back I could see us implementing the front office that he has talked about before, which will involve at least 3 other AGM's. We could grow from one of the thinnest front offices to one of the heaviest, assuming ownership will sign that cheque. And with Frankie out of the mix, it's possible.

Reactions: I am toxic

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany

Guess that would only work if Roberto replaces Francesco and he was offered a GM position.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
GM's make a lot more money than AGM's. If Gillis is brought back as President I could see Gilman brought in as GM. Eric Crawford as AGM...sign me up for that! Plus, with Gillis back I could see us implementing the front office that he has talked about before, which will involve at least 3 other AGM's. We could grow from one of the thinnest front offices to one of the heaviest, assuming ownership will sign that cheque. And with Frankie out of the mix, it's possible.

With the way Blueberries is spending, we’re not going to get the front office Gillis would want.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I think that Courtnall will be hired as advisor (President) and get to evaluate everybody's jobs..(and the power to terminate them) ..and overall team direction..Benning might not be out of the door just yet

IslandBeast

Apr 19, 2015
V.I
I think that Courtnall will be hired as advisor (President) and get to evaluate everybody's jobs..(and the power to terminate them) ..and overall team direction..Benning might not be out of the door just yet

If Courtnall doesn't immediately tell Aqua to fire Jim then we are all screwed. Whoever defends Benning as a GM needs to be fired in to deep space. He crippled this team, there is no debate any more

Reactions: Peter10

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
If Courtnall doesn't immediately tell Aqua to fire Jim then he himself should be let go. Whoever defends Benning as a GM needs to be fired in to deep space. He crippled this team, there is no debate any more
I just don't think he's going to walk in and start firing people on the spot...but who knows..?

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany

Hmm, how did you get to this conclusion?

Courtnall has to be the new President...which has been a vacant position...He's not going to be a GM..

Friedman just said he ll likely come in as an advisor.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
So he is going to be a President without the title? And what happens if they get an actual President?
They probably wont..seems to me they want to put someone in a position to evaluate..and give them the power to replace people in the organization.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
If Courtnall is being consulted then Benning is as good as gone imo. No hockey person could look at this teams record without recommending new management imo.
From reports, it sounds like the rest of the Aquilini family have concerns with the direction of the team which impacts the financial future. Courtnall is being used as someone that the family trusts to give an objective review of what should happen next.
I’d be shocked if Benning lasts much longer.

Last edited:

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Even the Aquilinis are aware that consumer confidence is shot in this market. I don't think they can trot out the same leadership group and sell that to the fans
Yep. You can’t live in this city and not be aware that apathy has set in. That will hit the financial bottom line once fans are allowed back in.
Last season you could build off the playoff success and try to sell it as one of the young teams on the rise. This year you’ve got nothing to sell with Benning still in charge
It’s like that crappy restaurant where no one goes to it and then you see the sign ‘under new management’. That’s what Canuck fans need to have hope that things will be improving.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Even the Aquilinis are aware that consumer confidence is shot in this market. I don't think they can trot out the same leadership group and sell that to the fans
I'm not convinced consumer confidence is ever completely shot in this town..Its the only major league team in the city..A 3 game win streak at the beginning of the season, and people would be out in droves with their credit cards ready to buy tickets.

I just have the feeling that Courtnall is going to evaluate first, then do what he's got to do....Changing over a front office is a pretty big deal..Coaches, scouts, trainers..everybody wants their own people.

Kind of like how Burke went into calgary, and started weeding out people.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
I just don't think he's going to walk in and start firing people on the spot...but who knows..?
If the report is true that Courtnall provided an evaluation of the organization back in 2019 and Benning/Weisbrod ignored it, I don't see how he wouldn't fire them on the spot. You want everyone on the same page (and they deserve to be let go too).

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Approaching 1,000 so shutting this down. Further discussion can happen in the Management thread for the time being given all the rumors swirling at this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad