If Montreal Wins the Stanley Cup - Biggest Fluke in NHL History?

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Isles only won because Jarry sucks and the refs favored them vs Boston. They’ll get the biggest asterisk of them all based on the logic of some people on here.

The Isles have a coach who won a Stanley Cup in recent years. I think that is an advantage for them.

If Trotz wins another SC, maybe Poile will finally be fired or "retire" in Nashville!

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
The Isles have a coach who won a Stanley Cup in recent years. I think that is an advantage for them.

If Trotz wins another SC, maybe Poile will finally be fired or "retire" in Nashville!
Poille is too busy trying to revive the career of David Legwand.

Reactions: Claude The Fraud

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
There is a "fluke" winner every other year in my mind, St.Louis being the most recent. Kinda miss the pre-cap dynasties in that regard since it was actually interesting storylines, "rise and fall of empires" if you will.

Of course it's debatable if it's actually a "fluke", I think it's moreso that the margins between great and good teams are very slim and depending on some things like injuries, daily form, confidence etc any team in the league can win a best of and if they do they might gain momentum.

But let's just say they wouldn't have been in my top 5 pre season, then again neither would St.Louis or arguably the Caps(mostly due to prior track record) but it's hardly surprising either way.

Elnino

Apr 9, 2003
Visit site
Habs are re-writing various team-orientated records during the run (Net PK% above 100, longest amount of games without conceding PK goals, 2nd longest streak in history not trailing etc).

6 wins is still a very long way from winning the Cup but a 'fluky run' would not yield historical achievements. They are playing extremely well and fully deserve to be where they are.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Habs are re-writing various team-orientated records during the run (Net PK% above 100, longest amount of games without conceding PK goals
Those are flukey stats (unless you believe the Habs have for once and for all figured out the secret to never allowing NHL teams to score power play goals :))

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Look, I know it's easy to say tonight was just a fluke and maybe it was. But here's a piece of trivia, a fluke is one of the most common fish in the sea. So if you go fishing for a fluke, the chances are... you just might catch one.

Reactions: Iwuwd

Subbanned

Nov 4, 2011
Yes. We might not even make the playoffs next year. We wouldn't have made the playoffs this year in a regular season.

It's been a heck of a ride and a lot of fun. The reality is this actually damages our chance to build properly around the young guys because MB is going to be viewed like he made us contenders but we aren't.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
They needed the Leafs to choke a 3-1 series lead to get past the 1st round, unless you think that it wasn't a Leafs choke, but a Canadiens resurgence.
The Leafs had no goaltending. that was one of their major downfalls along with there 2 top players were held in check again.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
If Montreal wins it will be a huge upset. But it will have been well earned.

Fluke is not the word to use when the team is beating other “superior” clubs head to head.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
In terms of likelihood that they would win again if the entire season was replayed, yea they'd probably be the biggest fluke, though I think the term has negative connotations of puck luck, when I think it's more about sustainability. Montreal is playing legitimately good hockey, and I thought they looked capable of having a run like this based on their early play in the regular season, before hitting a funk and some injuries, but they're clearly not as talented as most cup winners.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Nobody said anything about an asterisk
You sure about that? The narrative keeps changing. They suck and won’t win a game against Stanley cup contending Leafs. Fluke they won and Leafs now suck. Jets will bring them down to earth. Oops guessed wrong on the sweep. Well the North Division sucked balls anyways, wait til they meet a real team like Colorado or Vegas. Now Vegas are trash and should be embarrassed to be tied with Montreal. If they get through just wait til they face another real team like Tampa. Then they will be outed as frauds that just had the easiest path to the Finals cause of Covid.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

RyCanadian

Apr 23, 2021
More like they have the biggest heart and chemistry in history if they win the Stanley Cup.

HandsomeTom43

May 2, 2018
No one thinks that LA Kings team was an upset, they were a juggernaut by the end of the season. Absolutely loaded everywhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad