If Montreal Wins the Stanley Cup - Biggest Fluke in NHL History?

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
NHL Fans - "Biggest fluke in NHL history?"

Habs fans - "Mind your own business!"

5e2ifh.jpg

Reactions: dukeofjive

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
Let’s casually forget Habs had the highest 5v5 GF%, second best xGF% before Covid hit them at the end of March.

Then played 25 in 44 to end the season, without Gallagher, Price for the whole stretch. A lot of key players missing games also.

If you watched the games when the full team was on, there’s no surprise.

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
Montreal won't win the Cup.

Right? It's completely ludricrous to suggest such a thing, I mean lets look at what they'd have to accomplish. First they'd have to beat Toronto in the first round, that's laughable! I can't even seeing them winning 1 game (maybe if Price steals one) but that's about it, they're clearly outmatched at every position. Their D is big and slow and anchored by an aged worthless Shea Weber who best days are clearly behind him. Nevermind their "#1 goalie" who's nothing more than an overpriced overrated has been who hasn't been good in years, living off his reputation from the past.

But let's just say by some miracle they actually got past the leafs, they'd then have to beat the Jets who are without doubt better then them. Pretty much fodder for Winnipeg to easily dispose of. They have absolutely no talent up front, what could they possibly compete with?

Now if somehow they got past Winnipeg LMAO right? Hab fans are so delusional. They'd then have to face a juggernaut like the Knights or Avs in the semi finals, an actual real NHL calibre hockey team, not some pretender from the North division, they'd surely get exposed for the frauds they are and absolutely crushed.

Stanely Cup??? They couldn't win the Calder cup.

The habs suck!!!

Reactions: Claude The Fraud

hockeyfan2k18

Feb 11, 2018
Maybe Carolina in 2006. Luck and matchups play a huge role in sports.

Yes, I hated Carolina because they knocked off my Habs. If you think about it, what happened then could be happening now. Habs were up in the series...then Carolina switched goalies and the Habs never won another game. that said..the teams were pretty even.

Luck is always going to play a role, but you have to give a team their due for winning the whole thing. Habs winning in 92/93 was a lot of luck at play and they got the beneficial matchups. But that team was actually good. Better than this Habs team.

Maffew

Born. Raised. Habs. Always.
May 14, 2010
Montréal, QC
So if MTL wins this year (or even gets eliminated in two more games, whichever) and then just barely make the playoffs next year, and go 3+ rounds again, is it still a fluke?

Reactions: HabbyGuy

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
a win is a win, are you serious? Are you goin to be one of those * guys who wants one in the record book. * team won cup by fluke. When the Kings won as an 8th seed was that a fluke too?

Not a fluke because they had some good luck with matchups. A lot of similarities between this Habs team and the 2012-2014 Kings. Great goaltending, physical, team defense, can roll 4 lines, win close games.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
Yes, I hated Carolina because they knocked off my Habs. If you think about it, what happened then could be happening now. Habs were up in the series...then Carolina switched goalies and the Habs never won another game. that said..the teams were pretty even.

Luck is always going to play a role, but you have to give a team their due for winning the whole thing. Habs winning in 92/93 was a lot of luck at play and they got the beneficial matchups. But that team was actually good. Better than this Habs team.

Only 2 teams had more wins than the Habs in 93. Idk who invented the narrative that they were some shaky team that Roy carried.

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
Right? It's completely ludricrous to suggest such a thing, I mean lets look at what they'd have to accomplish. First they'd have to beat Toronto in the first round, that's laughable! I can't even seeing them winning 1 game (maybe if Price steals one) but that's about it, they're clearly outmatched at every position. Their D is big and slow and anchored by an aged worthless Shea Weber who best days are clearly behind him. Nevermind their "#1 goalie" who's nothing more than an overpriced overrated has been who hasn't been good in years, living off his reputation from the past.

But let's just say by some miracle they actually got past the leafs, they'd then have to beat the Jets who are without doubt better then them. Pretty much fodder for Winnipeg to easily dispose of. They have absolutely no talent up front, what could they possibly compete with?

Now if somehow they got past Winnipeg LMAO right? Hab fans are so delusional. They'd then have to face a juggernaut like the Knights or Avs in the semi finals, an actual real NHL calibre hockey team, not some pretender from the North division, they'd surely get exposed for the frauds they are and absolutely crushed.

Stanely Cup??? They couldn't win the Calder cup.

The habs suck!!!

Save this post. I'll eat my crow if the Habs win (they won't).
It's not that the Habs suck, it's just that TBL is going to win the cup.

yegoldboysclub

Jan 30, 2019
Can't win the cup on a fluke, they are a good team. They did have an easy first two rounds as Toronto and Winnipeg were not very good. Beating Vegas would be a huge upset. I don't think they win, but if they do, it will be well deserved.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Yeah there are some teams in the north that people will be surprised by how they arent as bad as they looked this season,Van and Ottawa come to mind

Reactions: nergish

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I honestly do not understand how the Avs did not easily win the series against Vegas. Their roster is so much stronger and VGK did not really impress so far.
Honestly, MacKinnon choked. All those points bum slaying in the first round... and didn't even show up against Vegas. Colorado team is not well equipped for slow and physical hockey. They need to get tougher IMO.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
They made the playoffs with an 86 point pace in the weakest division that also only had 7 teams.

So being in the playoffs was a definite fluke.

Then they got to avoid the #1 and #2 teams in the first and second rounds despite being the lowest seed.

Now to win it all, they will have to beat Vegas, and likely Tampa, so it's very much a real accomplishment. But the path up to the conference finals definitely is not on par, and is 100% flukey for the modern era, in that they were afforded opportunities and matchups in a way we'll likely never see again.

Not to mention the loss of Tavares and Scheifele which also helped. But I'm just going to say this right now, they're not going to win the Stanley Cup, but if they do it will be well deserved.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
So Isles will be the only team eligible for the non-asterisks cup?

Habs are a fluke
knights are being carried by the refs
Bolts are 25% over the cap

Reactions: Crosbyfan

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
So Isles will be the only team eligible for the non-asterisks cup?

Habs are a fluke
knights are being carried by the refs
Bolts are 25% over the cap
Isles only won because Jarry sucks and the refs favored them vs Boston. They’ll get the biggest asterisk of them all based on the logic of some people on here.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Probably the biggest one-off run since the 2006 Oilers. Pronger is leaps and bounds better than Petry, but Price is leaps and bounds better than Roloson. It's a wash.

06 EDM was getting terrible goaltending pre-Roloson. If they had him from day 1, they probably win the division or are a top 5 seed in the West.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad