If Montreal Wins the Stanley Cup - Biggest Fluke in NHL History?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I don't buy that it is a fluke. The North Division team was pretty much assumed to have an easier road to the Conference Finals which many assumed would ultimately favor them in terms of injuries and freshness.

Montreal has taken advantage of their circumstances. That isn't a "fluke" that's coming together at the right time.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I wouldn’t call it a “fluke”, often a winner of a series or even the cup isn’t the most talented team or “best team (whatever that means)”. The winner of a series/cup often wins due to injury luck, suspension luck, bounces etc. Also the winner often is not the most talented, it’s the team who is playing their game to the best of their ability compared to the other team who might be more talented but isn’t playing their best game.

While the Habs aren’t the most talented team in the playoffs, but they have a goalie playing out of his mind currently and are playing as a team their game at a very high level…..compared to other teams who have not played to their best game for various reasons (injuries, suspension & just poor play).

The difference between a highly talented team vs one who isn’t the most talented isn’t huge in the NHL, certainly that gap can be over come by the lesser talented team playing to their peak level especially when other teams haven’t played to their peak level due to multi reasons.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
the funniest part of all of this is that the Stanley Cup is by far the hardest championship to win

Not only is NHL playoff hockey the hardest physical grind in all of pro sports, the amount of games you need to play also makes it a hard mental grind as well. It takes four BO7 rounds to win the cup, that cuts down on variance. Sure it takes luck to win the cup (injuries/hot goalies etc., same story every year).. but it also takes a ton of skill and effort/character.

Winning the Cup is a complete team effort.

Last edited:

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
The 1938 Hawks tend to be considered the worst winners in history:

1936-37Chicago BlackhawksNHLAmerican481427700350.36599131291Clem LoughlinOut of Playoffs
1937-38Chicago BlackhawksNHLAmerican481425900370.38597139238Bill StewartWon Championship
1938-39Chicago BlackhawksNHL481228800320.33391132367Stewart, Thompson {+}Out of Playoffs
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
In the middle of 3 season of less than 15 win's in a row, 41% GF.

In the playoff they were +5 (26 GF to 21 GA)

The best of 3 round form and best of 5 in the finals made a fluke significantly more possible than 4 rounds of best of 7.

Montreal is +12 with a regular PDO, they are a bit fluky penalty killing wise and capitalising on the high danger sense that are not sustainable, but I imagine most recent winners had some aspect to them that was unsustainable during a phase of their winnings run and good puck luck.

They would be seen has a candidate for sure, but next season would determine it historically, if Anderson, Toffoli, Petry, Price etc... continue to play well and have a solid season they will be less seen has a fluke, if they (like they would probably have the last 4 season in a row making it a fifth time) miss the playoff, they could become the flukiest post WW2 winner I think, but not of the whole history, going through 4 round of best of 7 would exclude them that honor, you still need to be doing a lot of things well has a team to go through that long elimination process, more than the 38 Hawks had too.

Also if they would be winning it against Tampa, that would be one of the though run opposition wise, not a case of good team falling and opening the road for them at all (like it happened in 1993).

Last edited:

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
The most skilled roster doesn't always win the cup.

Doesn't make it a fluke any more than any other team winning. That's why we have playoffs. It's more fun that way

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Feel like Vegas going to win but if they manage to take them out and then Tampa/Isles they must be doing something right

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
The call it the hardest trophy to win in professional sports for a reason. If they can win these last 2 series they certainly deserve the cup.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
a win is a win, are you serious? Are you goin to be one of those * guys who wants one in the record book. * team won cup by fluke. When the Kings won as an 8th seed was that a fluke too?

No, them going to round 3 the year after and winning the cup the year after that leave no doubt that it was no fluke (2 solid season just before has well and having the lowest shooting percentage in the league the year they ended 8th), if Montreal do the same thing (with a very similar group) they will leave no doubt it was no fluke either.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Is a Cinderella team considered a fluke? Maybe. But that doesn’t take away from anything. Why should it? After all, when you look across all sports, Cinderella teams are what make any sport more talked about and interesting. And in general ppl love the underdogs.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Price has been very good in the Toronto series, but he didn't have anything to do in the Winnipeg series, he was in fact the only reason game 4 went to overtime. He's been good so far against Vegas, but we're probably winning game 4 in regulation if he doesn't let a weak one squeak in, Vegas had no high-danger chances all game. Again our skaters are underrated.
I’m still confused how Winnipeg put up no fight at all. There were games they looked great in the regular season then the next game they were brutal.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Personally I believe they have already beaten 2 teams better on paper than them. They are currently tied 2-2 with a 3rd team that is better than them on paper. If they make the final they will likely be the underdogs on paper again.

The thing about teams on paper is that no one accounts for heart, will and performance. There are also other factors to take into account like coaching, system and game plan.

Call them underdogs sure.... but fluke no chance

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I’m still confused how Winnipeg put up no fight at all. There were games they looked great in the regular season then the next game they were brutal.
I think their weak defense got exposed. Losing DeMelo really hurt them as he was one of a few capable dman on the team. Ehlers plays a game based on his speed/agility and he was banged up + it's playoffs hockey so he wasn't as effective. Wheeler was a total no-show, is he aging? Perhaps the Sheifele debacle distracted him or something.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
I honestly do not understand how the Avs did not easily win the series against Vegas. Their roster is so much stronger and VGK did not really impress so far.

Reactions: abo9

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I keep thinking this. There’s a good chance of montreal not making the playoffs next year. I Actually said to a buddy of mine, before the playoffs began last year, that winning the play in round and signing a bunch of vets would eventually work against them. And doubled down on if they won a series this year would be even worse long term. I still believe that. But obviously if they manage to win a cup, who cares about tomorrow.

I’m a firm believer that a hot goaltender has more of an impact on success than a hot player at any other position. A hot goaltender can mask almost all issues.

That's why I cheer on them and "believe" (especially Pricer), but I don't build crazy expectations for the next year or two.

One thing though: We are fortunate that our Vets (Perry, staal, Gus, Merrill) acquired for the run did not cost us an arm and a leg. The one thing we can say is we lost on selling Tatar and Danault high, but at this point keeping Danault was more than worth it even if we let him go in the Summer.

Maffew

Born. Raised. Habs. Always.
May 14, 2010
Montréal, QC
They still have a long way to go, but it's hard to think of a more "out there" Stanley Cup champion than if Montreal managed to win this year. 4th place team in a 7-team division that was considered by many to be the weakest in the NHL before and during the season. Weren't given a chance to do anything this postseason by most pundits. Not a team that was considered particularly good, dangerous or on the rise on the season. On paper, a team with a great goaltending (who is red hot) and not a whole lot else. They've had some fluky (not sustainable) things like their PK that would likely not hold over a very long sample size but in short series are more possible as well.

I know LA won the Stanley Cup in 2012 as an 8th seed, but at least they were viewed by many as a really strong roster heading into the season, and were largely getting screwed by terrible coaching during the season. They also further validated themselves that season by what they did in subsequent seasons, obviously we don't know what Montreal will do moving forward.
Building that narrative before it even has a chance to happen, eh bro? Something tells me no matter how they do it, Montreal will never be a legitimate threat to the cup to you. Quit looking at the jersey and give credit to a team that has won more playoff games than most other teams in the league this season.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Even Habs fans didn't believe in their team before or during round 1. Many were begging the Leafs to beat them so they could fire Bergevin.

So yes, they are pulling off upset wins here.

However, I wouldn't use the word "fluke" for any team in the NHL playoffs. That is better used for single-game knockouts, not multiple full-blown 7 game series.

It's just a typical Cinderella run where everything goes right and the team carries that momentum deep into the playoffs.

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
Any team that has to win 16 games in a grueling playoff schedule can never be a fluke. One game win? You could argue that it was a fluke. 16 wins? Surely not.

Reactions: Fill Kessel

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Maybe Carolina in 2006. Luck and matchups play a huge role in sports.

Franchise wise that a good candidate to bring:

2002-03Carolina HurricanesNHLSoutheast8222431160610.372171240120815682Paul MauriceOut of Playoffs
2003-04Carolina HurricanesNHLSoutheast8228341460760.463172209110212330Maurice, Laviolette {+}Out of Playoffs
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

2005-06Carolina HurricanesNHLSoutheast8252220621120.683294260112515596Peter LavioletteWon Championship
2006-07Carolina HurricanesNHLSoutheast824034035880.537241253102117386Peter LavioletteOut of Playoffs
2007-08Carolina HurricanesNHLSoutheast824333033920.561252249118316633Peter LavioletteOut of Playoffs
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

But that 05-06 team by itself was a really strong team, 112 points tie for third in the complete league, +24 goals, forward group that had incredible debt

Staal, Stillman, Cullen, Brind'Amour, Williams, Recchi, Weight, Whitney, Ladd is quite a group to build a top 9 around.

Their only strange element was no, number 1 D.

Then the next season Recchi, Weight, Cullen moved, if those playoff would have been a strange peak for Cam Ward and Eric Staal, it would be a real fluke, but those 2 went on to have really good career after and Mark Recchi still had a lot left in the tank.

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
I think we can all agree that if Montreal wins, they won't be as strong a team on paper or even on ice as compared to the recent dynasty/semi-dynasty teams like Boston, LA, Chicago and Pittsburgh. I wonder if that means Tampa Bay is not as good as the four teams mentioned above...and are more in the category of St. Louis and Carolina.
The Blues made the POs two seasons in a row after the SC and had the best record in the West prior to COVID, in addition to making the POs 7 times in 10 seasons.

They aren’t a one hit wonder like Carolina was(which had a great team, made the SCF a few years before and doesn’t even really compare to Montreal and St. Louis due to them being dominant all season while Montreal wasn’t and the Blues had a historic streak from January on).

Edited- I completely misread your post. Tampa is more in the vein of Boston as it stands now and can surpass them with another ring or 2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad