If Montreal Wins the Stanley Cup - Biggest Fluke in NHL History?

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
That is an interesting take considering that the Jets won 16-7 and the Chiefs won 23-7.

I think that it was Joe Namath's year and Hank Stram knew Bud Grant's playbook better than 1/2 the Vikings.

I think that you are right about the 01 Pats. The Rams had 50% more yardage but the three turnovers killed them.
The called back TD also hurt the Rams.

That was on the Patriots. Warner appeared to fumble the ball away for a 24-3 Patriots lead. Patriots were called for holding. Then the Rams scored 14 unanswered points before the Patriots game winning drive. And with the Spygate stuff that came out, you have to question if that's why the Patriots won in the first place. Not to mention the mugging of receivers they got away with.

I'm not specifically referring to the margin of victory for the Jets and KC. If both of those games were played ten times, chances are the favorites win nine times.

It was a fluke in the sense one team had its worst day coinciding with the other team's best.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
The reality is MTL dummied both our embarasingly easy first and second round matchups, like taking candy from a baby
You were down 3-1 in the first round. I guess that was part of the plan - to setup a comeback in two OT games, hoping the leafs will turn the puck over at the Blueline. Yes. You certainly dummied the leafs by being outscored and outshot in the series.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
You were down 3-1 in the first round. I guess that was part of the plan - to setup a comeback in two OT games, hoping the leafs will turn the puck over at the Blueline. Yes. You certainly dummied the leafs by being outscored and outshot in the series.
Yeah I agree it was way too easy kinda boring to be honest

Reactions: jaloviina

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
The reality MTL has been dominated or badly outshot in a lot of these games, but they manage to hang in there, with Price standing on his head, and then wait for some fluky giveaway where a guy like Paul Byron gets a breakaway and scores on their only shot in 10 minutes.

Good lord, why are Leafs fans still posting? Your team shat its pants on the biggest stage - yet again - in game 7. Go back into your hole.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
You can't win 4 - best out of 7 series - and be called a fluke. Its not a one off, you have to win 4 games each time, there are absolutely no excuses win or lose.

Are they playing above expectations ? Yes!

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Not a fluke. Montreal has morphed into a punishing defensive team just in time for the playoffs. If they win the cup, they well earned it.

Reactions: dukeofjive

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Considering they will have gone through Toronto, Winni, Vegas, and likely Tampa Bay...hell no that’s not a fluke

a fluke would be a shit team getting puck luck through four rounds against pushovers.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't know.

Roughly 2 weeks into the season, a very good friend of mine predicted they'd win it all this year.

He's a hab fan, but still.

Heading into this season, I talked over and over again about how the moves we made directly addressed our flaws. People just don't understand the context of the areas of the game that held us back. We have our key vets still in place, added a few more, got bigger on the wings, kids got 1 year older, found a good back-up, and also found a good partner for Petry. It's no surprise to me that we are in the final 4 and came out the Canadian division.

I would say we got lucky with Tavares going down cause I feel the Leafs would be in our spot if he didn't. I feel we still beat the Jets with Scheifele but not 4 straight. Their D is just not that good enough. I will admit that I thought the Knights would out match us but it's pretty even from what I am seeing. If we reach the cup finals, I just don't see us beating the Lightning. Islanders are doing their best and we will see if they take it to 7 games. Very possible.

All teams that have won cups have good goaltending and good D. You need offense too but really only the Pens won without a great team D. Habs D is not that mobile but they are smart, big, and force things to the outside where Price can do his thing. Habs 4 lines are underrated.

Maffew

Born. Raised. Habs. Always.
May 14, 2010
Montréal, QC
The reality MTL has been dominated or badly outshot in a lot of these games, but they manage to hang in there, with Price standing on his head, and then wait for some fluky giveaway where a guy like Paul Byron gets a breakaway and scores on their only shot in 10 minutes.
How to spot someone who didn't watch past game 4 of round 1

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
No.

If they won, they beat the team that the NHL wants to win. Their golden boys. The fix is in, and Montreal is against overwhelming odds. And yet they are currently tied in that series, despite the officiating being the worst I have ever seen in any series of my entire life.

It also means they got through Tampa Bay. The new scourge of the hockey world. The ultimate cheaters. The final boss that has an infinite health bar. Or, perhaps more impressive, a gritty Islanders team that beat that Tampa team first.

And someone calls that a fluke? The hell are you smoking?

Merci Saku

Sep 9, 2006
Longueuil, Québec
A fluke Super Bowl title is quite possible, but not a fluke Stanley Cup title. The winner can’t fluke its way to victory through 4 rounds and 16 wins.
Exactly,

long weeks, injuries and 16 wins, not 1, not 4, 16!

calling this a fluke is just non sense if you know what it takes to go through all 4 rounds,

it’s well deserved every year to the winning team

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
You have guys like Petry played with 2 dislocated fingers, Weber playing through a thumb injury that needs surgery and they still manage to win

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
I'm genuinely confused how Montreal is winning games, but especially how they make the other team look like they're playing badly. They're not doing anything special and they're not super skilled, but they seem to be winning based on playing a consistent game. Toronto failed to show up in their last 3 games, Winnipeg didn't show up at all, and Vegas has had flashes of effort/skill/brilliance, but not what we expect of them. I'm not sure this is a fluke, but it's a weird condition of all of their opponents not doing anything like they should.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad