If Montreal Wins the Stanley Cup - Biggest Fluke in NHL History?

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
16 wins if they do it is no fluke. Full respect to what they are doing right now. Was it expected debatable and rightly so. Fluke I think not a series win can be a fluke. Not a few series wins and possibly more. It's a team game and they are playing very well right now.

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
They made the playoffs with an 86 point pace in the weakest division that also only had 7 teams.

So being in the playoffs was a definite fluke.

Then they got to avoid the #1 and #2 teams in the first and second rounds despite being the lowest seed.

Now to win it all, they will have to beat Vegas, and likely Tampa, so it's very much a real accomplishment. But the path up to the conference finals definitely is not on par, and is 100% flukey for the modern era, in that they were afforded opportunities and matchups in a way we'll likely never see again.
They made the playoffs with an 86 point pace in the weakest division that also only had 7 teams.

So being in the playoffs was a definite fluke.

Then they got to avoid the #1 and #2 teams in the first and second rounds despite being the lowest seed.

Now to win it all, they will have to beat Vegas, and likely Tampa, so it's very much a real accomplishment. But the path up to the conference finals definitely is not on par, and is 100% flukey for the modern era, in that they were afforded opportunities and matchups in a way we'll likely never see again.
So far they've played the #2 and #3 highest Vegas odds teams to win the cup. People are selling out Toronto because they choked once again. But a majority of people had them steam rolling the first two rounds and a good amount had them in the cup. Their only easy match-up would be Winnipeg, which people still had them as underdogs.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
A little early to talk about it, but it reminds me of that 2017 (?) Ottawa run led by an amazing E. Karlsson.

I don't think they make the playoffs next season, and they finished 24th last season. So, definitely a "fluke"

Sgt Schultz

Jun 30, 2019
Santa Fe, NM
If the Habs win the Stanley Cup they will have beaten Toronto, Winnipeg, Vegas and Tampa Bay/Islanders. That is not a fluke.

Exactly.

I don't even think I have any basis to conclude the North was the weakest division. A lot of people feel that way, but how can that be anything more than gut feeling when the first time anybody in the division played anybody outside of the division was in this series.....which is now knotted at 2-2?

As far as the North having only seven teams, that is true but they also had teams basically coast-to-coast, meaning the travel involved was tougher than any of the other divisions. The only division close to that burden was the West.

There are a lot of ifs and butts the way things were set up this year. But I don't consider a team who came back from 3-1 down, rattled of 7 straight wins without trailing in a game, and is now 2-2 against a team considered at or near the top of the league to be a fluke should they complete the task. Especially one whose strengths support a strategy that has been proven effective in the playoffs before.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I don't think it would be a fluke as you need to win 16 games and it's one of the toughest trophies to win.
That said, the toughest part is still to come so it's really premature at this point. I'd still have them as huge underdogs.

SeaChaser

Mar 10, 2021
Tampa
Fluke and Stanley Cup can't be in the same sentence, unless Fluke is the name of a player. You can have a fluke goal, maybe a fluke game, but never a fluke series, let alone 4.

Reactions: Kanu

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
Absolutely.

Vegas could have won this series in 4 easy games too.

Like a predator, they are just toying with their prey and making them think they have a chance to survive.

The Vegas Flying Knights will dispatch of the lowly Canadiens in 6 games.

Reactions: SeanConn

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
A team can't win the stanley cup and be called a fluke.

what makes the other teams then?
They needed the Leafs to choke a 3-1 series lead to get past the 1st round, unless you think that it wasn't a Leafs choke, but a Canadiens resurgence.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
You are confusing "fluke" with "undeserving"

Whoever wins is "deserving". A "fluke" is just what occurs when you take a high variance activity and a low probability event occurs.

I think you are the one confusing "fluke" with "underdog/cinderella"

Would this be the biggest underdog/cinderella story cup victory in NHL history? Maybe.

But it's not a fluke. Fluke implies they're not deserving, which is the contrary. If anything as such big underdogs, more power to them if they win.

Reactions: Sega Dreamcast

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I think if you'd call a Habs cup win a fluke then your also saying that the LA Kings 2012 cup was also a fluke.

Reactions: Sniper99

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
I find it hard to consider a 16 playoff wins en route to a Cup a fluke.

At the very worst, you had to consistently play close enough to your competition that you could get enough wins via lucky bounces. You can fluke your way to one win. 16? Against the best teams in the NHL? Unlikely.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

PuckNorris

Mar 11, 2008
Montreal
It would be a bigger surprise then the 2006 Oilers. I had this team dead in the water must of the season. Although looking at their roster they should have performed better in the regular season. Still, I can't think of a bigger underdog.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Imagine fluking your way into the playoffs over 56 games, and then fluking your way into more playoff wins then anyone else. What a dumb thread.

Yeah.
Heck I used to think "fluke" meant got "very lucky" but now, with this thread, I'm wondering if it means they gave the other team fish parasites or they acted like whales and flicked the other teams with their tail fins.

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
Yeah.
Heck I used to think "fluke" meant got "very lucky" but now, with this thread, I'm wondering if it means they gave the other team fish parasites or they acted like whales and flicked the other teams with their tail fins.
I don't know what this means but I laughed

Reactions: Rorschach

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I think we can all agree that if Montreal wins, they won't be as strong a team on paper or even on ice as compared to the recent dynasty/semi-dynasty teams like Boston, LA, Chicago and Pittsburgh. I wonder if that means Tampa Bay is not as good as the four teams mentioned above...and are more in the category of St. Louis and Carolina.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Yes it would be a massive fluke that’s been in the making since they drafted Carey Price in 2005

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Exactly.

I don't even think I have any basis to conclude the North was the weakest division. A lot of people feel that way, but how can that be anything more than gut feeling when the first time anybody in the division played anybody outside of the division was in this series.....which is now knotted at 2-2?

As far as the North having only seven teams, that is true but they also had teams basically coast-to-coast, meaning the travel involved was tougher than any of the other divisions. The only division close to that burden was the West.

There are a lot of ifs and butts the way things were set up this year. But I don't consider a team who came back from 3-1 down, rattled of 7 straight wins without trailing in a game, and is now 2-2 against a team considered at or near the top of the league to be a fluke should they complete the task. Especially one whose strengths support a strategy that has been proven effective in the playoffs before.

A well reasoned take, I got into this argument with a lot of people this year in Canada who said the north was the worst but then neglected that Marner, Matthews, McDavid and Draisaitl we're only in the North. That means the rest of the league didn't deal with some of the top scorers all year long and assumed that the defense is poor, so which is it, poor defense or the best scorers? Couple that with the worst travel schedule in the league I think the shortcomings of the north we're overstated. I always thought it was the second toughest after the east

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad