Line Combos: If Marleau plays in the top nine, which forward from 16/17 Leafs is pushed down?

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
It has to be Hyman, surely?

Marleau not being on one of the top 2 scoring lines would be pointless. The third line was also a good scoring line last year but they primarily have shutdown responsibilities and he can't replace Komarov in that regard. Komarov could move down to the 4th line, and replace Martin, which I'm fine with, but that greatly weakens the shutdown line defensively. Or, with Komarov playing with Moore, I guess that becomes the new shutdown line.

I doubt JVR is going to be placed in the bottom 6.

Unless Bozak is moved and Nylander moves to centre, the right-wing spots are also spoken for and he can't take Brown's spot for the same reason I previously explained.

Hyman is the only feasible option in the top 6 that Marleau can replace and he should already being playing in the bottom 6 regardless. If Babcock is still that obsessed with having Hyman attached to Auston's hip then I don't know what the hell they're going to do with Marleau.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
So Brown goes down to the 4th line?

It's definitely a good problem to have. But if Babcock wants to have a "shutdown" line go forwards (ie how the Kadri line was used last season) I have a hard time seeing JVR be a good fit there.

This discussion is likely a good reason why management tried to trade JVR already this offseason

As long as both Bozak & JVR are on the team that's exactly what the Marleau signing will do to this lineup in that Brown drops to the 4th line

Marner is stuck with these 2 until there gone because he has the engine to cover up a lot of ice and get them playing in the offensive zone a little more. Having these 2 is why Nylander is playing the wing as well & why Kapenen will start in the AHL because he doesn't require wavers & why there's a struggle to find a spot for Leivo.

The playoffs revealed something big about the matchup line in that Brown wasn't a fit. Good player but he fell short of having a good playoffs. In fact he was the weak link of that lines effectiveness thus why Marleau was singed IMO.

Hyman- Mathews- Nylander
Komorov- Kadri- Marleau
JVR- Bozak- Marner
Martin- Moore- Brown.

Next year is when things will change with both JVR & Bozak gone. Nylander moves to center, Hyman moves with him and Kapenen joins to form a line. Marner moves up with Mathews and it will be decision time of whom they find that fits best with these 2.

I'm telling you and everybody else Marleau was brought in to bump up the matchup line and help Kadri get to the next level. Brown as good as he is as tweener goal scorer he's limited in his effectiveness in that role. Marleua on the Kadri line will benefit the team in huge way towards the only stat that matters WINS.

Last edited:

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Don't see Brown getting bumped down. He's a RW. Marleau's going to be playing on the LW. Really its either Komarov or Hyman who gets dropped down IMO.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Just run 4 lines.

Marleau-Moore-Nylander
Komarov-Kadri-Kapanen
JVR-Bozak-Marner
Hyman-Matthews-Brown

Why not just throw their sticks into the circle and randomly kick them out in groups of three?

It might make more sense.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Hyman doesn't even play the game to score goals, he plays the game to tumble around, hit people, fall down, kill plays, and kill penalties. He can drop down to the 4th line and still do all of those same things. IDC what you do babs, just get him the hell away from 34.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Hyman doesn't even play the game to score goals, he plays the game to tumble around, hit people, fall down, kill plays, and kill penalties. He can drop down to the 4th line and still do all of those same things. IDC what you do babs, just get him the hell away from 34.

He isn't on the Matthews line so he can do those things, he is there because somebody on that line needs to do them. Especially fall down.

With two players like Matthews and Nylander on that line, the third wheel needs to:

* Be a speedy forechecker
* Be a work horse
* Be able to open up space by constantly engaging defenders and keeping them occupied
* Be a diversion in front of the net
* Have the stamina to play a high energy north-south game

With puck distribution what it is, that player's impact will come much more from what he does without the puck than with it. That's why Hyman fits. And since using some other forward there means moving Hyman to a role that relies much more on puck skills, it is better for roster management as a whole.

The beauty of Marleau is that he can do the above pretty well while still being a decent threat around the net.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Yup but he can play :)

Anyone call for a moron who can be goaded into getting himself a huge suspensions when you actually need him? Kassian isn't a "tough guy"; he's an out-of-control moron who STILL hasn't matured from when he managed to get himself kicked out of the playoffs for the Spitfires when they needed him to be the main offensive weapon...

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Anyone call for a moron who can be goaded into getting himself a huge suspensions when you actually need him? Kassian isn't a "tough guy"; he's an out-of-control moron who STILL hasn't matured from when he managed to get himself kicked out of the playoffs for the Spitfires when they needed him to be the main offensive weapon...

I was being a bit sarcastic because Morgs had claimed that Lucic and Maroon are tough guys that can play for the Oilers. Kassian is the exact type of player that you need a Martin to police as he is as you say an "out-of-control moron" and would not think twice about taking a cheap shot at one of our kids. Nobody other than Kadri is a threat to subsequently go after a McDavid and keep the opposition goons honest.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
He isn't on the Matthews line so he can do those things, he is there because somebody on that line needs to do them. Especially fall down.

With two players like Matthews and Nylander on that line, the third wheel needs to:

* Be a speedy forechecker
* Be a work horse
* Be able to open up space by constantly engaging defenders and keeping them occupied
* Be a diversion in front of the net
* Have the stamina to play a high energy north-south game

With puck distribution what it is, that player's impact will come much more from what he does without the puck than with it. That's why Hyman fits. And since using some other forward there means moving Hyman to a role that relies much more on puck skills, it is better for roster management as a whole.

The beauty of Marleau is that he can do the above pretty well while still being a decent threat around the net.

Kapanen did all those things in the playoffs and can play LW, but Kapanen can actual handle the puck and even shoot the puck. kapanen showed willingness to engage on the boards and is way faster than hyman.
Hyman>Kapanen board play
Kapanen>>>>>>Hyman literally every single other hockey skill

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Kapanen did all those things in the playoffs and can play LW, but Kapanen can actual handle the puck and even shoot the puck. kapanen showed willingness to engage on the boards and is way faster than hyman.
Hyman>Kapanen board play
Kapanen>>>>>>Hyman literally every single other hockey skill

Sure, totally agree. I do think Kapanen benefited from a year spent mostly in the AHL though, but I'd have preferred to have the two switch places when he came up during the second half.

My point was more to illustrate that using Hyman there wasn't a catastrophe.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Does this mean Martin no longer has a guaranteed spot in the line-up?

Nope not even close. Martin is one of the league leaders in hits year after year and one of the few Leaf players that fights his own battles and protects others in the process.

Martin -- Moore make up 2/3rd of Leafs 4th line.

Logically Marleau will replace Hyman in the top 9, moving him for LW to RW on that last line.

Marleau -- Matthews -- Nylander
JVR -- Bozak --- Marner
Komarov -- Kadri -- Brown

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
With all the even strength talk I think it will be interesting how the PP units shape up (assuming JVR is not traded)

Last Season:

PP1
Komarov-Matthews-Willy
Gards Brown

PP2
JVR - Bozak - Marner
Kadri Zaitsev

I think you swap Komarov with Marleau

at least PP is looking good :)

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
e·lite/əˈlÄ“t,ÄÂˈlÄ“t/
noun

a select part of a group that is superior to the rest in terms of ability or qualities.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=define+elite&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=xaWbWbefGOTdjwTXzbf4CA

:thumbu:
:D

On a chronic poor d team I think it would be hard to assert that Leo is superior in any way, defensively or otherwise, any claims otherwise is purely conjecture.

Leo's greatest strength is his agitation so maybe elite there but even that facet of his game is diminishing.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
As long as both Bozak & JVR are on the team that's exactly what the Marleau signing will do to this lineup in that Brown drops to the 4th line

Marner is stuck with these 2 until there gone because he has the engine to cover up a lot of ice and get them playing in the offensive zone a little more. Having these 2 is why Nylander is playing the wing as well & why Kapenen will start in the AHL because he doesn't require wavers & why there's a struggle to find a spot for Leivo.

The playoffs revealed something big about the matchup line in that Brown wasn't a fit. Good player but he fell short of having a good playoffs. In fact he was the weak link of that lines effectiveness thus why Marleau was singed IMO.

Hyman- Mathews- Nylander
Komorov- Kadri- Marleau
JVR- Bozak- Marner
Martin- Moore- Brown.

Next year is when things will change with both JVR & Bozak gone. Nylander moves to center, Hyman moves with him and Kapenen joins to form a line. Marner moves up with Mathews and it will be decision time of whom they find that fits best with these 2.

I'm telling you and everybody else Marleau was brought in to bump up the matchup line and help Kadri get to the next level. Brown as good as he is as tweener goal scorer he's limited in his effectiveness in that role. Marleua on the Kadri line will benefit the team in huge way towards the only stat that matters WINS.

I don't think Marleau signed to the team to play defensive usage and not get to play with any of the stars.

I'd imagine a key part of the selling to get him to come to the Leafs was a chance to play alongside One or two of Matthews/Marner/Nylander.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I was being a bit sarcastic because Morgs had claimed that Lucic and Maroon are tough guys that can play for the Oilers. Kassian is the exact type of player that you need a Martin to police as he is as you say an "out-of-control moron" and would not think twice about taking a cheap shot at one of our kids. Nobody other than Kadri is a threat to subsequently go after a McDavid and keep the opposition goons honest.

But that's the thing, the Oilers tough guys didn't do anything to stop Kadri manhandling McDavid.

Personally I think most cheapshots are heat of the moment decisions, a guy isn't thinking about what will come next later in the game, he's thinking about causing damage right there and then. That's why goons aren't protective, they're reactive at best.

Edit: typo

Last edited:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
But that's the thing, the Pilers though guys didn't do anything to stop Kadri manhandling McDavid.

Personally I think most cheapshots are heat of the moment decisions, a guy isn't thinking about what will come next later in the game, he's thinking about causing damage right there and then. That's why goons aren't protective, they're reactive at best.

Your points are valid. Yeah Kadri got away from manhandling McDavid that one game but who's to say the Oilers didn't take his number for a later date ?

I think the threat of retribution has some influence on players. Without it the opposition is free to take liberties at our kids.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
But that's the thing, the Pilers though guys didn't do anything to stop Kadri manhandling McDavid.

No you can't predict a heat of the moment thing but there is more than just protecting Marner/Nylander.
Martin/Komarov etc. are putting pressure on the opposition D, Marner/Nylander/Bozak etc. aren't forechecking the same way. Also you can run around and clean hit guys all game. That doesn't need protecting. When the physical game ramps up though, who is answering the bigger clean hitting on our side. That's not gooning, that's solid physical play. When the scrums go on in the corner after the whistles, who is pushing back against guys like Wilson,Kassian,Gudbransson. We can't have our guys always pushed to the ice.
When there is no more contact in hockey, fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad