Line Combos: If Marleau plays in the top nine, which forward from 16/17 Leafs is pushed down?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Is the answer to this question based on what people want to see or what Babcock will do.
2 different things.
At present, I see no reason for Babcock to remove Hyman from a line he established all year. Perhaps training camp will be different, but how long has Babcock had an Abdelkader/Cleary/etc. mixed in with the talent?

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I don't know where, but Kapanen should absolutely be in our Top-9 to start the season and I haven't seen his name mentioned in one realistic lineup.

It's a crime not having a spot for him on this team.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
Apparently I can't vote (?) but it would be Hyman.
If Babs wants Martin in the lineup, I'd move Martin to the RW side.

I really see this as temporary until a move is made involving other winger(s).

I've been on here for years and I can never vote on a poll unless I post something.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I don't know where, but Kapanen should absolutely be in our Top-9 to start the season and I haven't seen his name mentioned in one realistic lineup.

It's a crime not having a spot for him on this team.

this, kapanen deserves a spot further up the line up and babcock always talks about if you earn the spot you get the spot so someone needs to be traded (JVR) and someone needs moving down the lineup (Hyman) because we need a marleau spot AND a spot for Kapanen

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Knowing about Babcock's love for Hyman I doubt Hyman gets pushed down it is probably going to be Brown on the 4th line.

If it was up to me I would ice this:

JVR-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Bozak-Marner
Komarov-Kadri-Brown
Martin-Moore-Hyman
Leivo

Bozak and JVR together = Defensive Disaster

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Knowing about Babcock's love for Hyman I doubt Hyman gets pushed down it is probably going to be Brown on the 4th line.

If it was up to me I would ice this:

JVR-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Bozak-Marner
Komarov-Kadri-Brown
Martin-Moore-Hyman
Leivo

Bozak and JVR together = Defensive Disaster

I don't see JVR getting moved anywhere else but with Bozak. That line gets the better matchups. That line is protected.

Again I see:
Hyman...Matthews...Nylander
JVR...Bozak...Marner
Marleau...Kadri...Komarov
Martin...Moore...Brown

For starters. Things can/will change obviously.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I don't see JVR getting moved anywhere else but with Bozak. That line gets the better matchups. That line is protected.

Again I see:
Hyman...Matthews...Nylander
JVR...Bozak...Marner
Marleau...Kadri...Komarov
Martin...Moore...Brown

For starters. Things can/will change obviously.

I can see that happening. But it will be a headache on the away games when we have the first change. That line up is fine at home (we have last change) away games teams can really take advantage of us because if that line is protected chances are we have 3rd D pair playing that 5 man unit can be a problem.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
My lines based on Today's roster:

Marleau - Matthews - Nylander
Komarov - Kadri - Kapanen
JVR - Bozak - Marner
Hyman - Moore - Brown

But really Brown *should* be in the Top-9. He's just not better than anyone there now, and should be on the 4th line with Hyman & Moore until Bozak gets traded & Willie changes to C.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Even if JVR or someone is traded, that open spot should be for Kapanen. Marleau replaces Hyman who goes down to 4th line.

It seems so simple...if JVR leaves.

Even if he stays though, I'm sure between all the injuries, a spot will open up.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Hyman might be the obvious answer but I think Babs will leave that line alone, in which case Uncle Leo would be my choice. Playing Marleau with Kadri limits Marleau's minutes and gives Kadri a shooter to play with.

Hyman Matthews Nylander
Marleau Kadri Marner
JVR Bozak Brown
Martin Moore Komorov

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
My lines based on Today's roster:

Komarov - Kadri - Kapanen
JVR - Bozak - Marner
Hyman - Moore - Brown

But really Brown *should* be in the Top-9. He's just not better than anyone there now, and should be on the 4th line with Hyman & Moore until Bozak gets traded & Willie changes to C.

Martin is a fixture on the 4th line. Your lineup is too soft.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Would love to remove martin for the lineup. I'm actually hoping he gets injured.

Then we can run with Sosh-Moore-Hyman line which would be a crazy fast and aggressive 4th line.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Would love to remove martin for the lineup. I'm actually hoping he gets injured.

Then we can run with Sosh-Moore-Hyman line which would be a crazy fast and aggressive 4th line.

I like your idea about Sosh but only if he replaces Uncle Leo. With Leo around I don't think there is room for Sosh.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Of course there's room.

VanRiemsdyk - Bozak - Marner
Komarov - Kadri - Brown
Sosh - Moore - Hyman

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Martin is a fixture on the 4th line. Your lineup is too soft.

Yeah, the Pens have really shown that a "tough" lineup is the most important thing.

Play him when the other team has a goon, but even then that goon isn't going to face our young stars for even a minute.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Surprised people are putting Kapp in the top 9 instead of Brown... if Babcock thought Kapp would be better suited on Kadri's line he would have played there at the end of last year/ the playoffs.

I can't see any scenario whereby the Komarov-Kadri-Brown line is broken up. They were fantastic. Everything you want in a line.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Yeah, the Pens have really shown that a "tough" lineup is the most important thing.

Play him when the other team has a goon, but even then that goon isn't going to face our young stars for even a minute.

Right and that is why they traded for Reaves July 1st.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
The obvious answer is Hyman. The obvious answer for Babcock is anyone but Hyman.

lol , so true

my only hope for Babcock sliding his boy down is now that he has gotten him overpaid he won't feel the need to play him above the 4th line

but as others have said , going by how he likes to play guys with 10 thumbs on scoring lines he'll probably leave Hyman glued to AM

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
And you won't find a single Pens fan that thinks that was a good thing.

Not like they needed him to go b2b, did they.

It is what Rutherford thinks not the fans. The Leafs signed Martin for three years and I don't seeing him being moved before then. They also protected him in the expansion draft.

The Pens also won the Cup lead by seasoned vets. The Leafs are led by a bunch of kids.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad