Speculation: If Landy DOES Sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Tyson Jost is a 4th line centre if he wants anything more than 1M per season he can walk straight to UFA for all I care.

Can't win draws, small and slower than what he should be for his size. Also a black hole offensively.

You can find a Tyson Jost caliber player anywhere in UFA. The last thing this team needs to do is pay him 2M per season.
If he wasn't taken #10 overall we would never be talking about the dude.

He's a f***ing bust for where he was picked....BUT...he's a nice kid, good attitude, works hard and has become much more sound defensively. I would have no problems with keeping him around if he was Calvert good at the PK. Problem is, he really is only okay at killing penalties. He's gotten better defensively over the years, but I'm not sure he's good enough to keep around outside of 4th line / 13th forward duty. Not exactly what you want out of a #10 pick. Especially one taken within a few years of Rants. I wonder if he might not be better off with a change of scenery. To be honest though, we shouldn't even be discussing him as our problems lie fully on the inability of the Avs to ice a second or third line worth a f***ing damn.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
If Landy signs here, I think it will be a 4 year deal for 7.5M AAV. I don't see Landy accepting a high term low AAV deal, nor do I see Joe wanting to give him more when MacK and Rants will both be signed to new deals in 2 and 4 years respectively. With a 4 year contract you get him off the books when it's time to re-sign Rants.

Reactions: AvsFan29

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Think Landy is realizing none of his alternative destinations have room for him or will pay him what he wants either. Hall signing for a 4 x 6 deal and RNH signing for 8 x 5 really helps in our favour.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Think Landy is realizing none of his alternative destinations have room for him or will pay him what he wants either. Hall signing for a 4 x 6 deal and RNH signing for 8 x 5 really helps in our favour.
The islanders are who I’m most worried about. Better team and willing to pay more.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
The islanders are who I’m most worried about. Better team and willing to pay more.

Unless they make some trades, they have no room for him if they want to re-sign Sorokin (2-3 mil), Beauvillier (4-6 mil) and Pelech (4-6 mil), on top of finding replacements for Cizikas, Palmieri, etc.

I don’t think they’re willing to drastically change up their team just for Landy.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Unless they make some trades, they have no room for him if they want to re-sign Sorokin (2-3 mil), Beauvillier (4-6 mil) and Pelech (4-6 mil), on top of finding replacements for Cizikas, Palmieri, etc.
I think Beau gets traded if they get Landy. Even then they have ~24mil in cap space once Boychuck goes on LTIR. They can definitely do it.

schelstatic

Jul 20, 2010

I don’t think they’re willing to drastically change up their team just for Landy.
Can we offersheet Sorokin at say 4 million. Worse case NYI match and have less money to go after Landeskog.:sarcasm:

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Yeah, you can definitely see the allure from NYI from Landeskog's perspective. A team that just made the conference finals 2 years in a row and were just 1 goal away from being the cup final favourite this year. Along with having a brand new arena and facilities and in NY. If they offer him more money you could understand his decision if he went there.

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
Sakic interview today makes it really sound like both Landy and Grubauer will test free agency. I am not worried. Lots of replacement options at much lower cost. Change can be good too. Two years this core couldn’t get it done.

Reactions: ItsFineImFine

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
I'm just looking at our cap page and I know we'll have $8M in free space for LTIR from Johnson/Francouz but if Grubauer & Landeskog sign for a combined ~ $13M then that leaves us with just another $13M to sign a backup goalie that isn't bargain bin ideally, a Saad replacement, at least $2M going to Jost and like $1.5M for Timmins, one competent dman, and at least one if not two more bottom 6 guys in addition to the cap hits we'll have from whichever young guys will be on the roster like Ranta or Newhook.

Yeah that's pretty tight, you can get it done with $12-14M of course but I'm a Leafs fan too and I know it's not a good idea to push it that much and leave yourself no room to maneuver. I'd rather we just let one of Landeskog/Grubauer walk and I'd rather let it be Landeskog since Grubauer is the better and harder to replace player right now.

Now if they can replace Compher for a $1-2 M player, we're talking.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I'm just looking at our cap page and I know we'll have $8M in free space for LTIR from Johnson/Francouz but if Grubauer & Landeskog sign for a combined ~ $13M then that leaves us with just another $13M to sign a backup goalie that isn't bargain bin ideally, a Saad replacement, at least $2M going to Jost and like $1.5M for Timmins, one competent dman, and at least one if not two more bottom 6 guys in addition to the cap hits we'll have from whichever young guys will be on the roster like Ranta or Newhook.

Yeah that's pretty tight, you can get it done with $12-14M of course but I'm a Leafs fan too and I know it's not a good idea to push it that much and leave yourself no room to maneuver. I'd rather we just let one of Landeskog/Grubauer walk and I'd rather let it be Landeskog since Grubauer is the better and harder to replace player right now.

Now if they can replace Compher for a $1-2 M player, we're talking.
If Landeskog walks the logical choice for him is NYI. In which case NY probably have to move Beauvillier who I could see Sakic targeting as a replacement of sorts. 24 year old RFA who's played on a defensive system and might break out more on the Avs.

Not sure what the cost to acquire and sign him would be but you likely push to sign him for 5 years at something like $4.5m and have a top 6 forward signed through their prime at a solid caphit.

To facilitate/incentivize a deal for Beauvillier maybe you trade NYI Landeskogs rights on the 27th if he's unwilling to take Sakic's last offer. That way NYI can offer the 8th year and keep Landeskog's AAV down a bit, and Avs get a reasonable price for Beauvillier.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Beauvillier at 5x$4.5m
Grubauer $5.5m
Timmins $1m
Compher traded for capspace

That leaves $9m for two forwards. In the ballpark where you can entertain getting two of Saad, Danault, and Coleman.

Reactions: ItsFineImFine

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
If Landeskog walks the logical choice for him is NYI. In which case NY probably have to move Beauvillier who I could see Sakic targeting as a replacement of sorts. 24 year old RFA who's played on a defensive system and might break out more on the Avs.

Not sure what the cost to acquire and sign him would be but you likely push to sign him for 5 years at something like $4.5m and have a top 6 forward signed through their prime at a solid caphit.

To facilitate/incentivize a deal for Beauvillier maybe you trade NYI Landeskogs rights on the 27th if he's unwilling to take Sakic's last offer. That way NYI can offer the 8th year and keep Landeskog's AAV down a bit, and Avs get a reasonable price for Beauvillier.
Or you do a sign and trade at an amount that Lou would be happy including the 8th year. Sakic could get more this way. Sakic could also figure out what Beauvillier wants before Sakic trades for him. Everybody could be happy. Landy a bit less though as I'm sure he would prefer to stay here.

Reactions: Richard88
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad