Speculation: If Landy DOES Sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
I'm not sure that's a fair criticism. You could make Mark Messier or anyone else captain of most of those teams, and they were gonna crash and burn eventually. They haven't been that good up until the last couple years.

I don't know if you caught it, but Saad was extremely complimentary about Landy as captain during the playoffs.

Saad's not a naive youngster either, he's been around plenty of great leaders in his time. He knows what makes a good captain.

Saad knows what's up with his comments about needing to play to win instead of pouting.

That's leadership calling out bad behaviour. Even in your stars.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Saad knows what's up with his comments about needing to play to win instead of pouting.

That's leadership calling out bad behaviour. Even in your stars.

Yeah I think Nate's probably heard that a couple times from teammates. Not everyone, because not everyone is in a position to criticize one of the best players in the world, but I bet Landy and Saad have probably had a heart to heart about it.

I think Nate knows it too, it's just easy for him to get emotional if he doesn't make an effort to keep it in check. Probably a constant battle. That emotion drives him to dominating hockey at times though too, so it's hard to say he should completely shut it off.

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
Yeah I think Nate's probably heard that a couple times from teammates. Not everyone, because not everyone is in a position to criticize one of the best players in the world, but I bet Landy and Saad have probably had a heart to heart about it.

I think Nate knows it too, it's just easy for him to get emotional if he doesn't make an effort to keep it in check. Probably a constant battle. That emotion drives him to dominating hockey at times though too, so it's hard to say he should completely shut it off.
I’m sure it would help MacK if one of his line mates, the Captain of his team no less, would get his head out of his ass and actually do something to contribute positively during the biggest games of the season instead of constantly f***ing up!

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
I’m sure it would help MacK if one of his line mates, the Captain of his team no less, would get his head out of his ass and actually do something to contribute positively during the biggest games of the season instead of constantly f***ing up!
Your vendetta against Landy is out of control. Maybe Landy would have been better (using your twisted logic) if Mack didn't disappear in the Vegas series too?

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
Your vendetta against Landy is out of control. Maybe Landy would have been better (using your twisted logic) if Mack didn't disappear in the Vegas series too?
One, MacK isn’t the Captain. Two, the points weren’t there, but MacK performed much better than Landy did and didn’t make the egregious mistakes that Landy did. Three, why was Landy -7 in the last 4 games against Vegas, while MacK and Rantanen were both -3 during that same timespan?

I don’t have a vendetta against Landy, I just simply don’t believe that Landy is as good/valuable as some of you are making him out to be. Everybody knows that Landy’s contract will be an albatross down the road and I don’t want to see the Avs be handcuffed to it.

Clearly, Sakic doesn’t believe he’s that valuable either, or he’d be locked up by now. At this point, Landy is a luxury and not a core piece, if we have him great, if not we’re still fine.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
One, MacK isn’t the Captain. Two, the points weren’t there, but MacK performed much better than Landy did and didn’t make the egregious mistakes that Landy did. Three, why was Landy -7 in the last 4 games against Vegas, while MacK and Rantanen were both -3 during that same timespan?

I don’t have a vendetta against Landy, I just simply don’t believe that Landy is as good/valuable as some of you are making him out to be. Everybody knows that Landy’s contract will be an albatross down the road and I don’t want to see the Avs be handcuffed to it.

Clearly, Sakic doesn’t believe he’s that valuable either, or he’d be locked up by now. At this point, Landy is a luxury and not a core piece, if we have him great, if not we’re still fine.

MacK made some really bad errors in the Vegas series, you just didn't notice them as much because guys like Landeskog and others managed to make up for them. But MacK had some horrid defensive zone giveaways.

I've said it before, but one reason why Landy's errors were that much more glaring is that when he makes a mistake, it really stands out because there isn't much safety net behind him when he f***s up, because he IS the safety net.

Look, I'm still gonna give Sakic the benefit of the doubt here but losing Landeskog is potentially devastating. He isn't just the best two-way forward on the team, right now, he's the ONLY two-way forward on the team. The rest of the roster up front really only gets it done in one area of the ice.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

I dont want Nate to shut off that passion. Its part of his DNA and part of what makes him great. Sid is the ultimate emotional player especially early in his career. Sid channeled his rage and beat up on the Flyers and Caps every chance he got lol.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I dont want Nate to shut off that passion. Its part of his DNA and part of what makes him great. Sid is the ultimate emotional player especially early in his career. Sid channeled his rage and beat up on the Flyers and Caps every chance he got lol.

Yeah I agree.

I think you should try to help these emotional players rein it in a little bit so it doesn't dominate their mindset and cause problems, and I think Nate has done that the last few years under Bednar, but I don't think you want to fully domesticate these guys too much, so to speak.

Nate just has too much of that Forsberg competitor gene in him. He hates losing. Can you imagine if they removed the emotional part of Forsberg's game? He'd have been an absolute shell of himself as a hockey player.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Yeah I agree.

I think you should try to help these emotional players rein it in a little bit so it doesn't dominate their mindset and cause problems, and I think Nate has done that the last few years under Bednar, but I don't think you want to fully domesticate these guys too much, so to speak.

Nate just has too much of that Forsberg competitor gene in him. He hates losing. Can you imagine if they removed the emotional part of Forsberg's game? He'd have been an absolute shell of himself as a hockey player.
True. Forsberg had more of it or atleast could do more with it than Nate can. I suppose Nate can start hitting people who pissed him off if he wanted but that's not his game. If the Avs were losing Forsberg would run around hitting people and whacking guys.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC

Nate needs to play with emotion but channeled emotion not that pouting that throws his game off.

Pistache

Mar 25, 2009
If we finally sign Landy, do you guys think Columbus would take him and send us Forsberg?

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
If we finally sign Landy, do you guys think Columbus would take him and send us Forsberg?
No because Landy will have a NTC/NMC and if he does not have one and we trade him right away that’s the best way to make sure no other UFA signs with us.

Reactions: Avs91

RampoSanta

Landy was not offside
Apr 1, 2021
Colorado
Can someone remind me how the buyouts work again? For example, can the AAV be at 7.5M but have years 1-2 be at 9.5M and then years 7-8 be much less, say 3-4M. Then if a buyout is needed due to declining play in year 7, would the cap impact be much less?

Last edited:

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Can someone remind me how the buyouts work again? For example, can the AAV be at 7.5M but have years 1-2 be at 9.5M and then years 7-8 be much less, say 3-4M. Then if a buyout is needed due to declining pay in year 7, would the cap impact be much less?

I don't know about buyouts, but I am pretty sure no year's caphit can be less than 50% (or 60%) of the max-caphit of a contract. So if the max was 9.5M then no other year can be any less than 4.75M.

Something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad