Speculation: If Landy DOES Sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Or you do a sign and trade at an amount that Lou would be happy including the 8th year. Sakic could get more this way. Sakic could also figure out what Beauvillier wants before Sakic trades for him. Everybody could be happy. Landy a bit less though as I'm sure he would prefer to stay here.
Yeah, a sign and trade would be a good way to squeeze out some last bit of value from Landeskog instead of losing him for nothing. I still expect him to resign though, but we'll see.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Yeah, a sign and trade would be a good way to squeeze out some last bit of value from Landeskog instead of losing him for nothing. I still expect him to resign though, but we'll see.
Yeah I'm pretty sure he is going to re-sign as well. This whole discussion is only if he doesn't. So if it is the case NYI gets Landy at 8yrs, 7.5/8M and Sakic gets a signed Beauvillier+. Not sure what the + would be.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Yeah I'm pretty sure he is going to re-sign as well. This whole discussion is only if he doesn't. So if it is the case NYI gets Landy at 8yrs, 7.5/8M and Sakic gets a signed Beauvillier+. Not sure what the + would be.
I wouldn't think there would be much plus. If Landeskog wants to sign with NYI then they have the leverage, other than the ability to offer 8 years. They could easily just wait until UFA and get Landeskog for 7 years without giving up Beauvillier.

Reactions: AllAboutAvs

Belgican

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site
4 years makes SO MUCH sense for the team. I understand why Sakic pushed hard for it at the beginning and hurt Landy's feelings.

From what I understood, the 4 and 5 years offers dated from last off-season.

And the 8 years offer is a response to Landys camp wanting 8 years. That offer at 5-5,5 was hurting the most, not the earlier offers. Hence Sakic coming back to the latter ones.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
This is the most specifics we've had on Landy's negotiations right? MHH seems awfully confident in their info.

"There have been a ton of numbers thrown around over the last few weeks as to what the player is asking for and what the team has been offering. One rumor that has gained a lot of traction is the speculation among some who cover the Avalanche that the team had made an offer of a seven year contract with an AAV of $7 million. After speaking to four different sources — both in and outside of Denver — we can confidently say this offer was never made. Landeskog has not turned down a $7M x 7 contract.

That rumor stems from a comparison many have made to the Anders Lee deal the Islanders signed a couple seasons ago. It’s likely a deal Landeskog’s agent is using as a comparison and one that the captain would almost certainly sign to stay in Colorado.

There was also speculation that Landeskog has been looking for a contract that would pay him upward of $9-10M a season. That’s not true either — at least not from the Avalanche. He might end up getting that from someone else if a bidding war erupts on the open market, but the captain is willing to go back to Colorado for a lot less.

On the flip side, this past weekend reports surfaced that the Avalanche sent Landeskog a “take it or leave it” offer with an AAV close to $5M, and while this number is closed to the ones that have been floating around, it appears to be untrue. There is no “final” offer from the team, and while it does sound like the long-term offers have been a lot lower than many would expect, they are higher than the rumored $5M AAV.

No one knows for sure what the two sides have been asking for and offering, but one thing is for certain: There are a lot of numbers being thrown around that are at best speculation, and at worst misinformation."

Are Gabriel Landeskog and the Colorado Avalanche heading toward an ugly breakup?

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
This is the most specifics we've had on Landy's negotiations right? MHH seems awfully confident in their info.

"There have been a ton of numbers thrown around over the last few weeks as to what the player is asking for and what the team has been offering. One rumor that has gained a lot of traction is the speculation among some who cover the Avalanche that the team had made an offer of a seven year contract with an AAV of $7 million. After speaking to four different sources — both in and outside of Denver — we can confidently say this offer was never made. Landeskog has not turned down a $7M x 7 contract.

That rumor stems from a comparison many have made to the Anders Lee deal the Islanders signed a couple seasons ago. It’s likely a deal Landeskog’s agent is using as a comparison and one that the captain would almost certainly sign to stay in Colorado.

There was also speculation that Landeskog has been looking for a contract that would pay him upward of $9-10M a season. That’s not true either — at least not from the Avalanche. He might end up getting that from someone else if a bidding war erupts on the open market, but the captain is willing to go back to Colorado for a lot less.

On the flip side, this past weekend reports surfaced that the Avalanche sent Landeskog a “take it or leave it” offer with an AAV close to $5M, and while this number is closed to the ones that have been floating around, it appears to be untrue. There is no “final” offer from the team, and while it does sound like the long-term offers have been a lot lower than many would expect, they are higher than the rumored $5M AAV.

No one knows for sure what the two sides have been asking for and offering, but one thing is for certain: There are a lot of numbers being thrown around that are at best speculation, and at worst misinformation."

Are Gabriel Landeskog and the Colorado Avalanche heading toward an ugly breakup?
In summary, as with anything Avs, nobody knows.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
In summary, as with anything Avs, nobody knows.

Yeah but it sounds like they may know the Avs haven't offered 7x7, and that the Avs haven't made a final take it or leave it offer yet.

They also seem to think that if the Avs did offer 7x7, Landy would accept it.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
This whole idea of Joe offering a really low AAV on a 7-8 year deal, feels like Joe's plan is to limit the term to 6 years, so Landy's deal doesn't impact Cale's next raise.

I hope that's what's going on at least. 7x7 seems like the obvious compromise, but Sakic always tries to get a little extra in negotiations. Getting Landy to accept $7M x 6 would be a pretty big win imo.

He can get a lot more than that on the open market, whether it's smart for a GM to offer that or not.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
This whole idea of Joe offering a really low AAV on a 7-8 year deal, feels like Joe's plan is to limit the term to 6 years, so Landy's deal doesn't impact Cale's next raise.

I hope that's what's going on at least. 7x7 seems like the obvious compromise, but Sakic always tries to get a little extra in negotiations. Getting Landy to accept $7M x 6 would be a pretty big win imo.

He can get a lot more than that on the open market, whether it's smart for a GM to offer that or not.
The thing is, 7Mx6 is a more than fair offer. I know we all love Landeskog and he's a great player but I truly do not believe he's a player worth spending more than that on. If he feels otherwise, the Avs would be wise to let him walk. It'll hurt until the Avs can replace him in the lineup but you just don't break the bank for a guy that, while yes your captain, is your 4th best player at best.

Reactions: cinchronicity

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The thing is, 7Mx6 is a more than fair offer. I know we all love Landeskog and he's a great player but I truly do not believe he's a player worth spending more than that on. If he feels otherwise, the Avs would be wise to let him walk. It'll hurt until the Avs can replace him in the lineup but you just don't break the bank for a guy that, while yes your captain, is your 4th best player at best.

I don't necessarily disagree, but when Landy can get $8-8.5M or more x 7, then 7x7 is still a team friendly deal.

If Joe can get $7M x 6 great, but he should be willing to go to 7x7 if he needs to imo.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Damn I'm beginning to think Joe is doing Gabe a solid. Joe remembers signing that huge bonus laden offer sheet from the New York Rangers designed to force the sale of the Avalanche if they were to match it. He still signed the damned thing so now he's giving Gabe a chance to set his value in free agency and then allow Joe a chance to match it.

I just hope Joe let's him walk if it screws up our cap too much. We've got a rich owner willing to spend to the cap. Don't screw up what precious space we have for declining years.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Larry Brooks is a jabroni, right?

Yes but I hope it's true cos I'd do the same thing if I was Sakic lol. The old 'try to sign him but secretly hoping he goes so we can say we tried'.

I honestly think we'll be better off with the cap space not just for the long-term but for this year alone if they utilize it well. I don't mind overpaying Grubauer by a million either now as long as the deal is within 4-5 years but we can't re-sign both Grubauer and Landeskog to like $13M+ combined.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Yes but I hope it's true cos I'd do the same thing if I was Sakic lol. The old 'try to sign him but secretly hoping he goes so we can say we tried'.

I honestly think we'll be better off with the cap space not just for the long-term but for this year alone if they utilize it well. I don't mind overpaying Grubauer by a million either now as long as the deal is within 4-5 years but we can't re-sign both Grubauer and Landeskog to like $13M+ combined.
The only way this makes sense is if Sakic is actively trying to get him to go somewhere else because he has a trade or big signing lined up for tomorrow that he'd rather do.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
The only way this makes sense is if Sakic is actively trying to get him to go somewhere else because he has a trade or big signing lined up for tomorrow that he'd rather do.

If it’s a trade, then I don’t think your logic makes sense…because he can just make the trade now.

And signing, okay sure, but outside of Danault there’s really no one available that actively helps the team.

The more likely answer is, IF this rumor is true, Joe is just doing a bad job. I don’t think this particular rumor is true, but if it is…jesus what a bad offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino