Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yes, re-sign him. Don't know what the cost should be but he's still the leader of this team and a high-end two way forward who has consistently produced for the team. Yes, he did not play great in the last few games, and that's concerning, but I think losing him would be a devastating blow to this team's Cup window. There's just no one else out there who'd be an adequate replacement.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Yes, re-sign him. Don't know what the cost should be but he's still the leader of this team and a high-end two way forward who has consistently produced for the team. Yes, he did not play great in the last few games, and that's concerning, but I think losing him would be a devastating blow to this team's Cup window. There's just no one else out there who'd be an adequate replacement.

What if you could sign Hall and extend Saad and give MacKinnon the C? Not saying you're wrong. It's just that I can foresee the Avs eventually regretting giving Landeskog a lengthy contract.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Tough call, he’s a leader here and a good power forward but he coasts a lot and this is now 2 years in a row he’s disappeared in the 2nd round. I feel like the cost is going to be too high for his lack of consistency and ability to make boneheaded plays

Reactions: JudoKoala

hoserthehorrible

Jul 15, 2003
Colorado
If Landeskog is willing to sign for $6 or $6.5 million and no longer than 3 years then for sure sign him. If he wants $7 million or more or more than 4 years then let him walk.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
It would surprise me if he does not re-sign with the Avs, but it would not shock me. At this point, his agent will advise him to at least explore the incoming offers from other teams after the start of free agency. He is only a few weeks away, so it is the proper advice.

I think he likely wants to return, but he is also the kind of player that NHL GMs lose their minds over, so he could receive some crazy offers.

It would definitely leave a hole if he departs, although it would make the salary cap issues easier to navigate.

Andrew Wiggin

Feb 8, 2020
It's a mute point. The Avs love him and he loves the Avs, it's happening. The only question is for how much.

Pretty much this, from how both Sakic and Landeskog act when the are asked it almost a certainty they already have a pretty mature framework of a deal together. It is probably $7.5M x 7 years.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
So if he wants $10,000,000 per year for 6 years you think Sakic signs him? I don't.

That's a hyperbolic argument. Landeskog isn't going to ask for 10 million, nothing in his resume dictates that kind of money, especially in a flat cap world. Of everyone on this roster Landeskog is the most likely to be an Avs lifer IMO. He's not going anywhere this summer.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Pretty much this, from how both Sakic and Landeskog act when the are asked it almost a certainty they already have a pretty mature framework of a deal together. It is probably $7.5M x 7 years.

They need to keep it to 5 years.

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
Letting Landy go would be a disaster. The kneejerk reactions around this forum are crazy. Landy has value as a player, whether 1LW or 2LW. Plus he has intangibles which are incredibly valuable for a team which is getting younger. (Off topic, but this is the reason I say Saad must be brought back as well.)

The issue is not WHETHER, rather FOR HOW MUCH. Whether we ( or the players) like it or not, this is a salary cap league, and a constrained one at that. Anything over $6M AAV is too much. Anything over 5 years is too much. I might even go 3 @ #7M out of respect for his prior contributions. But there is a limit to paying for deeds past.

hoserthehorrible

Jul 15, 2003
Colorado
That's a hyperbolic argument. Landeskog isn't going to ask for 10 million, nothing in his resume dictates that kind of money, especially in a flat cap world. Of everyone on this roster Landeskog is the most likely to be an Avs lifer IMO. He's not going anywhere this summer.
You specifically said "It's a mute point. The Avs love him and he loves the Avs, it's happening. The only question is for how much."

But, that's certainly not true. Like I said if he asks for $10 million then it isn't happening. It's very much about him asking for a reasonable amount and a reasonable term which is what my original post was.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Letting Landy go would be a disaster. The kneejerk reactions around this forum are crazy. Landy has value as a player, whether 1LW or 2LW. Plus he has intangibles which are incredibly valuable for a team which is getting younger. (Off topic, but this is the reason I say Saad must be brought back as well.)

The issue is not WHETHER, rather FOR HOW MUCH. Whether we ( or the players) like it or not, this is a salary cap league, and a constrained one at that. Anything over $6M AAV is too much. Anything over 5 years is too much. I might even go 3 @ #7M out of respect for his prior contributions. But there is a limit to paying for deeds past.

Most Avs fans are already at 7-8M+ for over 5 years.

duckbear

Mar 31, 2016
If Landeskog is willing to sign for $6 or $6.5 million and no longer than 3 years then for sure sign him. If he wants $7 million or more or more than 4 years then let him walk.

Yikes. That's basically saying let him walk. There is absolutely no way he signs for that term and AAV combined.

I'd be happy to sign him to an 8 year deal if that keeps the AAV down. COVID is over, cap will start going up, and getting him for 6-7 million now will balance out his future decline.

Truth is I hope we will resign him, but his numbers are very high and he may be looking for a payday. If that's the case, we need to stay away.

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
Yikes. That's basically saying let him walk. There is absolutely no way he signs for that term and AAV combined.

I'd be happy to sign him to an 8 year deal if that keeps the AAV down. COVID is over, cap will start going up, and getting him for 6-7 million now will balance out his future decline.

Truth is I hope we will resign him, but his numbers are very high and he may be looking for a payday. If that's the case, we need to stay away.
Dude isn’t worth it. I don’t want him here for 8 more years

Reactions: JudoKoala

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Yikes. I sure it’s nothing near 7x7.

$5m for 4 years

upload_2021-6-11_12-21-9.gif

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
Most Avs fans are already at 7-8M+ for over 5 years.

And most Avs fans will be bitching in 5 years, just like they are now with EJ. The Avs can't spend $8 million in a flat cap the next two years, and he will be nothing but an albatross in years 6,7 or 8 with that salary.

I'm old school. I remember sports before Curt Flood challenged the reserve clause. I'd love for Landy, Mac, Mikko, Makar and Byram to all retire as Avs. But in a salary cap league, a team cannot afford to pay a guy $3M extra, wen $3M is a good 3rd line salary. A whole other person.

hoserthehorrible

Jul 15, 2003
Colorado

Landeskog is pushing 30 years old. You'd sign him to an 8 year deal? I don't think he's going to be very productive when he's past 34-35 years old which is why I wouldn't go anywhere near 8 years in term.

Reactions: flyfysher
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad