Value of: If Edmonton ends up with a top 2 pick

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Would the Sabres trade their 3 1st rd picks for 1 OA?

Jack Hughes would be great, but the Oilers could add at multiple positions with three 1st rounders.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
No one is trading a top 3 pick for a senior citizen.
I understand that. But his reasoning aka criticism of Weber is extremely clueless.
But tbh as a playoff team, which is what EDM should be vying for, I would not trade Weber for the 2oa pick. But the habs are better off rebuilding to become a legit cup contender for years to come. We are just lacking one elite talent before reaching that level imo.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
I understand if you wouldn’t want to trade a 2nd overall for a player about to enter his mid 30’s, but Weber’s worth every penny and his contract isn’t nearly as bad as people make it out to be. He’d instantly fix your D like he did ours, and let’s be honest, your team doesn’t want to do a full rebuild again after 10 years, they want to find a way to compete now while McDavid is in his prime production wise. I know the poster was really aggressive above but doesn’t give you a right either to start throwing crap on our players.
Huh? How was I aggressive? I simply defended Weber and offered him for 2OA. I didnt force the proposal.

If you were referring to me that is.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Would the Sabres trade their 3 1st rd picks for 1 OA?

Jack Hughes would be great, but the Oilers could add at multiple positions with three 1st rounders.
1OA is much better than, say, 15OA, 18OA, and 30OA. So the Sabres would really stupid not to accept and EDM chia worthy to propose such a deal.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Telling another fanbase to enjoy sucking is aggressive, even if they don’t want our player.
I took it as we dont want NHL ready impact players (a superstar 2-way shutdown D). We prefer going the way that hasnt worked for the past decade and more.
People really never learn. They just stick to it.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Does anyone know if the actual Edmonton pick is jinxed or is it only the player once Edmonton has made its selection? That’s going to weigh a lot on the return imo

Yakupov, RNH, Hall, McDavid, and Pool Party were all no brainers. Hindsight is 20/20 but they cannot be faulted for making those picks.

Draisatl was a fantastic pick
Eberle was a great pick at 22. Only Carlson is better in that chunk of guys.
Nurse was a good pick. It was him or Risto
Klefbom was a great pick

Yamamoto has looked good but it's too soon to say.
Same for Bouchard, but their other option was Dobson.

Drafting isn't really a huge concern in the 1st round. It's the fact that they develop almost no guys outside the 1st. The last guy they drafted outside the 1st, that went on to become an actual impact player was Jeff Petry 12.5 years ago. And before Petry it's Stoll almost 15 yrs ago. It's insane

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I took it as we dont want NHL ready impact players (a superstar 2-way shutdown D). We prefer going the way that hasnt worked for the past decade and more.

We have Weber and Petry on the right side on D, which is a lot more then a lot of fanbases can say and RHD are at a premium in this league. I’d take it with a grain of salt. I go off sometimes as well, I just don’t agree with kicking fans of other teams while their down. Edmonton isn’t Boston or Toronto. We don’t have any real rivalry or built in hate with them.

Reactions: Legend123

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Weber is a joke. He barely has value, let alone anywhere near Jack Hughes.

For Hughes, I'd want a very nice young winger or center. Like Larkin+, Boeser+, Laine, Tkachuk, Keller, Meier+++, or Connor++. Because honestly, that's his value, he looks like he is at or very close to the Matthews/Eichel tier.

Reactions: zar

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
Maybe you can try to acquire Eberle and Hall, those two seem to be having pretty good careers the last few years.............

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Theres some real good looking players in the draft this year. And given how hard it is to move salary (ie. Lucic, Manning, Sekera etc.) our best bet might be grabbing one of these top forwards. Not to mention the expansion draft upcoming. I'm not saying don't add quality players that can impact the team now because of the expansion draft, but with one looming, it's something you need to consider. Unless one team is willing to take cap back without sacrificing the value of the pick, I think you gotta hold onto it. Plus we don't have a GM yet and likely won't until closer to the draft. Don't exactly want to see the Old Boys Clubs fire off assets (1st and 2nd for Reinhart) again when the new scape goat comes in

Edmonton's in a damned if they do, damned if they don't situation. They need young affordable talents, but they also need cap space (if even to just eventually pay those kids. I mean look what happened to Draisaitl lol). And I think they only can do 1 or the other. It'll be very unlikely they do both. Either way I think if it's not this year, in the next 1-3 years they'll have to burn at least a 1st to get out of some of that cap.

yurnxt

Apr 7, 2009
Weber for a top two pick is a joke. Think about it, does trading Weber for a cost controlled player oozing with potential who is essentially half his age make any logical sense? If Edmonton wanted to trade for defense with that pick, many younger, smarter options would be available.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
I think if you guys are handed another top 10 pic the hockey world will be pissed and I see no team making deals with you guys at all. Sorry but its not the rest of the leagues fault the oil are a black hole.

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
Yakupov, RNH, Hall, McDavid, and Pool Party were all no brainers. Hindsight is 20/20 but they cannot be faulted for making those picks.

Draisatl was a fantastic pick
Eberle was a great pick at 22. Only Carlson is better in that chunk of guys.
Nurse was a good pick. It was him or Risto
Klefbom was a great pick

Yamamoto has looked good but it's too soon to say.
Same for Bouchard, but their other option was Dobson.

Drafting isn't really a huge concern in the 1st round. It's the fact that they develop almost no guys outside the 1st. The last guy they drafted outside the 1st, that went on to become an actual impact player was Jeff Petry 12.5 years ago. And before Petry it's Stoll almost 15 yrs ago. It's insane
Yakupov wasn't a no brainer of a pick. If my 37 year old memory recalls(since I'm a senior citizen on this forum) only one person in Oilers management wanted him. Mr. Daryl Katz himself. I think the unanimous pick was ryan Murray. Not much better. But at least nhl caliber.

Things may be very different for Edmonton if they didn't pick yaks. Maybe they dont trade hall.

But things are what they are with Edmonton. And it could be worse. Ottawa is worse

JTRAIN1966

Jul 18, 2012
Imperial, Mo.
HERE !!! This'll probably piss a lot of people off . :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Oilers trade :

McDavid
Lucic (no retention)
3rd in '19
2nd in '20

To St. Louis :

Parayko
Thomas
Kyrou
Steen
Bozak
Maroon

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The Oilers can't trade the pick for a high-end player unless they send garbage back with it. They don't have the cap space. Which is why they need to use the pick on Hughes or Kakko.

As much as people blame the draft picks missing. How many players have the Oilers went out and acquired who have helped them? The only good players they have right now are their first rounders and Larsson (who they got robbed trading for). Their pro-scouting and veteran acquisitions has been as bad or worse than their drafting.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
If the Avs finish in the 11-15th range like i expect them to, I would trade Barrie, #11-15 for #1-2+ Lucic (on the condition that his NMC is void after the trade for expansion purposes).

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010

Your offer was horrible and you know. Edmonton doesn’t have cap space nor are we in any position to compete. On top of that we need top 6 players not a 33 year old defender who doesn’t line up age wise with our core or timeline.

2nd overall you know we’re asking for Kotkaneimi. Otherwise we draft and develop a player hopefully properly for once.

If you respond with that we can’t you’ll be ignored. We’re well aware of our past mistakes.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I think if you guys are handed another top 10 pic the hockey world will be pissed and I see no team making deals with you guys at all. Sorry but its not the rest of the leagues fault the oil are a black hole.

No GM is going to think like this utter childish gibberish. Nobody cares about the Oilers and where they draft. Teams trade to improve. No competent GM would pass up an opportunity to trade based on another clubs draft position.

Reactions: JTRAIN1966

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Lol dude no one is anchoring themselves to that Weber contract, least of all us. Wouldn’t take him for free. The long term pain is not worth the short term gain.

Utterly ridiculous post

Weber is still a fantastic defenseman. If the Olympics started tomorrow i think Canada still selects him top 2 for D.

Maybe he'll decline at some point and he is signed for long but he carries tremendous impact/value on ice and would actually be an absolutely incredibly valuable player to add to Edmonton. Both for on-ice play and the leadership he brings off ice.

Now im obviously not saying he's worth a top 2 overall pick - but to say you wouldn't take him for free is just dumb.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Going back to OP

Id absolutely love to see Edm trade a top 2 pick this year vs draft it. Top 2 should be insanely valuable too as they are both deemed as cant miss stars i think.

I wonder what either top 2 picks could fetch. Maybe one of this years high end RFAs due for a big raise if a team is worried about cap? Might have to add of course.

Im thinking back to the Jones for Johansenn trade from a few years ago. Not saying they land Jones today but a player comparable to his perceived value at time of trade with a ton of upside.

How about Laine?

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Utterly ridiculous post

Weber is still a fantastic defenseman. If the Olympics started tomorrow i think Canada still selects him top 2 for D.

Maybe he'll decline at some point and he is signed for long but he carries tremendous impact/value on ice and would actually be an absolutely incredibly valuable player to add to Edmonton. Both for on-ice play and the leadership he brings off ice.

Now im obviously not saying he's worth a top 2 overall pick - but to say you wouldn't take him for free is just dumb.

We couldn’t take him for free. The cap opened in the Talbot trade goes to activate Sekera off LTIR.

We’d have to dump Lucic and Spooner to add Weber and the cost to dump them would exceed Weber’s trade value. If you disagree I’d love to see the cost for Weber with Lucic going to Montreal. Something tells me the ask would be tremendous or simply Montreal wouldn’t even consider it. Point being we couldn’t take Weber for free even if we wanted too

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad