Value of: If Edmonton ends up with a top 2 pick

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
We couldn’t take him for free. The cap opened in the Talbot trade goes to activate Sekera off LTIR.

We’d have to dump Lucic and Spooner to add Weber and the cost to dump them would exceed Weber’s trade value. If you disagree I’d love to see the cost for Weber with Lucic going to Montreal. Something tells me the ask would be tremendous or simply Montreal wouldn’t even consider it. Point being we couldn’t take Weber for free even if we wanted too

Weber isnt available for trade and as a Habs fan i have no desire to take Lucic

Im not claiming its worthwhile to discuss a specific trade - all im saying is the original poster i replied to was implying Weber has no value because of his contract. And im saying thats 100% BS. there might be some concern over his contract but hes still a highly valuable player and asset thanks to his current level of play.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Your probably gonna get offered 3rd liners or UFAs lol.

Only way we move a top 2 pick is if we get an established young top pair d or top line forward with high potential (23 or younger). In other words, not gonna happen.

Probably . Fans love to hate the Oilers . There are some decent fans out there that do not bash the Oilers . Just got to weed thru the 10 to one bad postings

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Just take the pick. And maybe develop the kid properly like a professional sports franchise would.

No one is going to pay what you want for the pick. I literally saw Seth Jones name in this thread. Put the pipe down.

As long as the OBC has anything to do with the team I would not trust those Pejorative Slurs with a potato gun let along a profession team that looks like it is ran by a kindergarten student .

The OBC don't know the meaning of development .... They do it with D but forwards NOPE

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Yakupov, RNH, Hall, McDavid, and Pool Party were all no brainers. Hindsight is 20/20 but they cannot be faulted for making those picks.

Draisatl was a fantastic pick
Eberle was a great pick at 22. Only Carlson is better in that chunk of guys.
Nurse was a good pick. It was him or Risto
Klefbom was a great pick

Yamamoto has looked good but it's too soon to say.
Same for Bouchard, but their other option was Dobson.

Drafting isn't really a huge concern in the 1st round. It's the fact that they develop almost no guys outside the 1st. The last guy they drafted outside the 1st, that went on to become an actual impact player was Jeff Petry 12.5 years ago. And before Petry it's Stoll almost 15 yrs ago. It's insane

Hence the problem . Yakupov , Puljujarvi and the OBC all have no brains

Reactions: Cubs2024WSChamps

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
Utterly ridiculous post

Weber is still a fantastic defenseman. If the Olympics started tomorrow i think Canada still selects him top 2 for D.

Maybe he'll decline at some point and he is signed for long but he carries tremendous impact/value on ice and would actually be an absolutely incredibly valuable player to add to Edmonton. Both for on-ice play and the leadership he brings off ice.

Now im obviously not saying he's worth a top 2 overall pick - but to say you wouldn't take him for free is just dumb.
most teams wouldnt take him for free including the leafs. You hab fans think we care if hes good for a year or two more...look at his contract kid put the pipe down

Tit

Toast and jam
Sep 23, 2018
Oilers should keep it and attempt to draft someone of substance.
Preferably a winger.
This can still be saved if they hire the right staff and draft the right players.

Look how bad the leafs scenario was and we didn't have a starting block of McDavid, either.

Reactions: 780il

webdev

Nov 3, 2017
Probably . Fans love to hate the Oilers . There are some decent fans out there that do not bash the Oilers . Just got to weed thru the 10 to one bad postings

Oiler fans make it so easy to hate them. They fail at every aspect of hockey.

Hockey town that needed public funding to stay.

One of the worst drafting teams over the last decade which oiler fans to this day still defend.

The woe is me attitude of Oiler fans even though they had blind loyalty to everything the oilers did. Most oilers
fan liked and defended the Hall trade, Lucic signing and eberle trades.Go look at the trade and signing threads if you think im wrong. It hilarious to revisit them.

Now on topic who cares if oilers get another top pick, they are still short four decent wingers, a few dmen and a real goalie from even making the playoffs, let alone winning a round.

Reactions: Cubs2024WSChamps

DemidovSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Now as an Oiler fan I am embarrassed that we are probably going to be picking high yet again . I am not sure if anything will change in Edmonton and the have a piss poor drafting record .

Busts
PRV
Yakupov
Puljujarvi ?

Looking for offers on our pick . what would you offer for the following picks and what cap dumps would you be willing to take back .

1st OA ?
2nd OA ?
3rd OA ?
4th OA ?
5th OA ?
6th OA ?

Oilers needs are wingers , PPQB and Right shooting C
If it’s a top 5 pick id offer spurgeon straight up. Top 2 I’d offer granlund.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Now as an Oiler fan I am embarrassed that we are probably going to be picking high yet again . I am not sure if anything will change in Edmonton and the have a piss poor drafting record .

Busts
PRV
Yakupov
Puljujarvi ?

Looking for offers on our pick . what would you offer for the following picks and what cap dumps would you be willing to take back .

1st OA ?
2nd OA ?
3rd OA ?
4th OA ?
5th OA ?
6th OA ?

Oilers needs are wingers , PPQB and Right shooting C

need to think about about ideal pieces for offer
assuming per thread title, 2OA or later not 1OA, would be interested in possible stud pivot cornerstone

lots of variables betw now and then
expect Rangers to trade several pieces

and key is you actually getting 2OA; value and commensurate return drops as selection falls

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
Oilers are in Cap hell. You keep all your high picks and hope they make the roster on their ELC in the next few years

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
If the Oilers get a top two pick, me thinks this is the year you see a player refuse to put on a jersey

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Dumba for Hughes?
Dumba for our 1st if it isn't top 5... Then sure.

For example, rn our pick sits at 6th OA. So I'd trade it for Dumba easily. Anything higher than that and we're guaranteed one of Hughes, Kakko, Turcotte, Dach, Byram in which case I'd keep it.

Last edited:

DemidovSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Dumba for our 1st if it isn't top 5... Then sure.

For example, rn our pick sits at 6th OA. So I'd trade it for Dumba easily. Anything higher than that and we're guaranteed one of Hughes, Kakko, Turcotte, Dach, Byram in which case I'd keep it.
I wouldn’t trade Dumba unless I was garunteed Hughes of Kaapo. Turcotte, Dach, and Byram are great, but none of them are sure-fire gamebreakers. Dumba is the closest thing we have to a gamebreaker right now, so I wouldn’t take the risk.

Reactions: 780il

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
If the oilers get one of hughes/kakko, I'd look to deal RNH
I'd do the smart thing and add them to RNH on the 2nd line. We're looking for forward depth, when we get it in the form of a potential game changing top 2 player, it's not gonna be traded away.... Again

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->