Value of: If Edmonton ends up with a top 2 pick

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
If it's 1st OA, I'd try something like this...

To ANH: Sekera, 1st OA

To EDM: Rakell, Manson

Rakell has had a down year, but he's a talented guy on a good value contract. Ideal LW to play with McD and Drai. Pair Manson with Nurse and have one helluva nasty duo.

I'd be content with a D lineup next year of:

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Manson
Russell-Jones

Reactions: thadd

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I wouldn't give up 2nd overall if the other team were willing to eat Lucic, Sekera, Russell, Gagner AND Manning's contracts.
After 1 more season Gagner and Manning's contracts are gone.
Russel or Sekera's might be gone in the off-season, but I'm not holding my breath.
Russel and Sekera's contracts will be gone after 2 more seasons.
When Lucic has 1-2 years left on his contract we'll find a way to trade him. Given how much the salary cap goes up every year I'm sure we'll find a way after another season or two.
If we traded all of those guys and coughed up a 2nd overall pick just to make cap space what are we going to do with our cap space?
Overpay free agents like teams often due just for the sake of spending up to the cap so that the team can justify raising the ticket prices all the while giving another team an 18 year old potential superstar?
Not a good idea.

I'd be willing to eat 1M of Lucic's cap hit and cough up 15th overall or later at this point, but that isn't happening since he's got a full NMC. I'd cough up less and be less open to retaining salary trading any of the other named individuals.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
[QUOTE="thadd, post: 156645615, member: 55463"]I wouldn't give up 2nd overall if the other team were willing to eat Lucic, Sekera, Russell, Gagner AND Manning's contracts.
After 1 more season Gagner and Manning's contracts are gone.
Russel or Sekera's might be gone in the off-season, but I'm not holding my breath.
Russel and Sekera's contracts will be gone after 2 more seasons.
When Lucic has 1-2 years left on his contract we'll find a way to trade him. Given how much the salary cap goes up every year I'm sure we'll find a way after another season or two.
If we traded all of those guys and coughed up a 2nd overall pick just to make cap space what are we going to do with our cap space?
Overpay free agents like teams often due just for the sake of spending up to the cap so that the team can justify raising the ticket prices all the while giving another team an 18 year old potential superstar?
Not a good idea.

I'd be willing to eat 1M of Lucic's cap hit and cough up 15th overall or later at this point, but that isn't happening since he's got a full NMC. I'd cough up less and be less open to retaining salary trading any of the other named individuals.[/QUOTE]

No team is taking on 20 million for all those crap players for a 2nd OA . Best deal is to trade the pick with a couple short term cap dumps and a good player that doesn't need development time

Think Gagner + Manning + First for a player signed for at minimum 3 years that is a first line talent with out McDavid . Stone resigned ?

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
The pick would save them if they have competent management able to act effectively on the opportunity of winning the draft lottery. It would allow the Oilers to fill a hole in their top 6 on an ELC contract, which would erase the disadvantage of paying Lucic top 6 money to play in the bottom 6.

It doesn't make sense to bundle the pick with a bad contract. If they get Hughes or Kappo and they want to go that avenue, trade them when the ELC is up. Their value will be similar but the Oilers would have benefit from having them on their team for three years at ELC money.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
No team is taking on 20 million for all those crap players for a 2nd OA . Best deal is to trade the pick with a couple short term cap dumps and a good player that doesn't need development time

Think Gagner + Manning + First for a player signed for at minimum 3 years that is a first line talent with out McDavid . Stone resigned ?

You're talking about taking away 2 small contracts that expire next year. That's not worth it. If we get Stone we aren't going to be as good as you think. We're more than 2 pieces away from being a legit team unless we're forcing McDavid for burn the candle at both ends.

Without McDavid we probably have 10 or less wins this year. We are nowhere close to being in a position to blow first rounders for a player that might not resign with us and it makes no sense for Stone to agree to sign with Edmonton given how he's about to go to free agency unless we're offering to clearly overpay for him up front.

I think we've learned enough about overpaying.
A lot more than we've learned about winning.

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
Maybe if Edmonton could develop their young players properly it would be worth keeping this selection, but since they just ruin whatever they touch its probably better to use this pick to clear bad contracts. There has to be some reason why "can't miss" prospects end up bombing when selected by Edmonton and it has happened often enough now that it can't just be blamed on poor drafting. When Edmonton's problem children win Hart trophies after leaving town it has to make you wonder just how good McDavid could be if he were in a good organization that knew how to make a prospect into a good player. He's so good with zero support or development we can only dream of what he would be capable of in a real organization.

Reactions: north49er

Seras

Dubas supporter
Sep 1, 2015
New Westminster, BC. Canada
Your probably gonna get offered 3rd liners or UFAs lol.

Only way we move a top 2 pick is if we get an established young top pair d or top line forward with high potential (23 or younger). In other words, not gonna happen.

Maybe you should take it.

It would be a third liner at the time of the trade vs. Ruining another kids career and having nothing. 3rd liner vs. Nothing

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
If it's 1st OA, I'd try something like this...

To ANH: Sekera, 1st OA

To EDM: Rakell, Manson

Rakell has had a down year, but he's a talented guy on a good value contract. Ideal LW to play with McD and Drai. Pair Manson with Nurse and have one helluva nasty duo.

I'd be content with a D lineup next year of:

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Manson
Russell-Jones

Oh hell no.

Both of those players are young, on great contracts, and you would not be disappointed if your top 10 pick turned into either of those players. It's extremely unlikely that ANA would trade both for the 1OA on its own let alone taking a cap dump back as well. Unless you're talking to Exit with his chicken little routine. He's ready to burn it all down to sell all the players for magic beans and literally no one else agrees with him.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Oh hell no.

Both of those players are young, on great contracts, and you would not be disappointed if your top 10 pick turned into either of those players. It's extremely unlikely that ANA would trade both for the 1OA on its own let alone taking a cap dump back as well. Unless you're talking to Exit with his chicken little routine. He's ready to burn it all down to sell all the players for magic beans and literally no one else agrees with him.

If a pick in the 6-10 range turned into a Rakell/Manning, I’d be content. But at 1st OA, I’m expecting a lot more. What type of 1st OA does Hughes project as? Maybe a bit less hype than Patrick Kane? For that type of player (with contractual control for 7 years), I think my proposal is fair.

Now, with that said, I have no clue what direction the Ducks intend to go. The fact Getz/Perry/Kesler all have multiple years left with NMC’s probably means the Ducks go the re-tool route - at least for the next 2 years until Getz and Perry are up. That would certainly squash my suggestion.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
If a pick in the 6-10 range turned into a Rakell/Manning, I’d be content. But at 1st OA, I’m expecting a lot more. What type of 1st OA does Hughes project as? Maybe a bit less hype than Patrick Kane? For that type of player (with contractual control for 7 years), I think my proposal is fair.

Now, with that said, I have no clue what direction the Ducks intend to go. The fact Getz/Perry/Kesler all have multiple years left with NMC’s probably means the Ducks go the re-tool route - at least for the next 2 years until Getz and Perry are up. That would certainly squash my suggestion.

Statement from the Ducks owners was:
make decisions that are in the best interests of the team for both the near term and long term. We are confident that we can turn this around quickly.

Which pretty much means they have no intention to blow it up. Even if they did want to, I'm not seeing a scenario where 25 year old Rakell would be part of what they're selling off and not part of what they build around.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
You're talking about taking away 2 small contracts that expire next year. That's not worth it. If we get Stone we aren't going to be as good as you think. We're more than 2 pieces away from being a legit team unless we're forcing McDavid for burn the candle at both ends.

Without McDavid we probably have 10 or less wins this year. We are nowhere close to being in a position to blow first rounders for a player that might not resign with us and it makes no sense for Stone to agree to sign with Edmonton given how he's about to go to free agency unless we're offering to clearly overpay for him up front.

I think we've learned enough about overpaying.
A lot more than we've learned about winning.

Hey yeah lets be bad until McDavid demands a trade . that will be sure to make us better

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Hey yeah lets be bad until McDavid demands a trade . that will be sure to make us better

Do you honestly think that burning our future before we're even a half decent team for the sake of keeping 1 player happy has any chance at making us a good team?

Can you reference a single time that a GM of an NHL team that has done this when that's actually paid off?

Do you cheer for teams or players?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad