Value of: If Edmonton ends up with a top 2 pick

Blue Chip Prospect

Feb 9, 2019
Montreal
Not even a consideration from Edmonton
Why is that ? I mean Edmonton out of any team should know that a 1OA 2OA 3 or 4OA means nothing . They are hyped up prospect that sometimes ( often in Edmonton's case) end up in Yakupov or JP. You should take the sure shot #1 defensemen and run knowing your history .

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Dumba for our 1st if it isn't top 5... Then sure.

For example, rn our pick sits at 6th OA. So I'd trade it for Dumba easily. Anything higher than that and we're guaranteed one of Hughes, Kakko, Turcotte, Dach, Byram in which case I'd keep it.

Oof

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
If the oilers get one of hughes/kakko, I'd look to deal RNH

I am somewhat stunned that Edmonton is even in the conversation for a top 2 pick, yet again. How can a franchise be in this spot with all of the opportunities they have had in terms of past drafts? Is it just lack of development?

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
If they have no confidence to develop either Kakko or Hughes then they should just fold up the franchise and ship it away.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
He’s 34 this summer and has a roughly 8 million dollar cap hit for 7 MORE YEARS.

Plenty of teams wouldn’t take him for free, don’t fool yourself.

It's hilarious how dense some people are that they can't divorce the player value from the contract value, and have a reasonable conversation about it.

Weber is certainly an impact defenseman who would be on the top pair for the vast majority of organizations in the league. I don't think anyone can honestly dispute that.

That contract, on the other hand, is what causes concern. I don't think it's unreasonable to assess his age, knee surgery last year, missed time this year, SEVEN years remaining on the deal, and conclude that the contract is an anchor.

It's like we called their wives fat or something. ****ing relax.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Now as an Oiler fan I am embarrassed that we are probably going to be picking high yet again . I am not sure if anything will change in Edmonton and the have a piss poor drafting record .

Busts
PRV
Yakupov
Puljujarvi ?

1st round non-busts
Eberle
Hall
RNH
Klefbom
Nurse
Draisaitl
McDavid (eh)

(Too early on Yammamoto and Bouchard for either category)

We dont do well with Euros who struggle with English, our OBC feels they have to "Earn it" by playing 9 mins a night with AHL calibre linemates or learn to play a 2-way game as a sophomore.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Your probably gonna get offered 3rd liners or UFAs lol.

Only way we move a top 2 pick is if we get an established young top pair d or top line forward with high potential (23 or younger). In other words, not gonna happen.

Realistically, say Detroit were at #5, what would it take to swap picks from #1 or #2?

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
I think if you guys are handed another top 10 pic the hockey world will be pissed and I see no team making deals with you guys at all.

Sorry but its not the rest of the leagues fault the oil are a black hole.

First sentence.... this is the real world GMs we are talking, not HF Board posters.

Second sentence... you are right, but thanks for rubbing it in to the fans of the team.... because it's obviously our faults.

Heckler81

Oct 14, 2017
If the Oilers get the 2nd overall pick.

I would trade Zibby for the the 1st plus others. I don’t know exactly what the others is.

I think the Oilers know really well that having a top pick doesn’t necessarily mean a solid player. I think Oilers need more of a sure thing like a 26 year old first line player that can contribute to winning now. Not a player that is probably 2-4 years away.

The Rangers on the other hand are rebuilding. It would stink to lose Zibby but having a player like Hughes or Kakko, is a nice risk playing with there other young players.

I’m really bad at making trades but how about this.

Oilers trade

1st round 2019 - if it is top 2 overall
1st round 2020
E. Bear
Lucic- Salary dump

Rangers trade

Zibby

The question is how much value is rewarded due to the Rangers taking Lucic at 100% salary.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Now as an Oiler fan I am embarrassed that we are probably going to be picking high yet again . I am not sure if anything will change in Edmonton and the have a piss poor drafting record .

Busts
PRV
Yakupov
Puljujarvi ?

Looking for offers on our pick . what would you offer for the following picks and what cap dumps would you be willing to take back .

1st OA ?
2nd OA ?
3rd OA ?
4th OA ?
5th OA ?
6th OA ?

Oilers needs are wingers , PPQB and Right shooting C

I think everybody on this board is disgusted by the idea of the Oilers getting another top 5 picks. Said this before that a team should not be able to pick in the top 5 more than 3 times in a any 5 year period.

How do you fix the team?

Trade at or before TDL:
Chaisson
Rieder
Brodziak
Benning
Manning
Petrovick

Send Poolparty down for remainder or if you believe a pick would be better then move on.

Tank this year, take a player with high Hockey IQ that can play Wing or C. While RNH has been a good soldier you could likely get a great winger and another pick. Run McJesus #1, Drai #2 and pick if ready (Hughes/Kakko/Dach/Cozens-yes I know not all are C's). Sign scrapes for lines 3 & 4 along with some call ups. Bouchard in AHL. Suck next year and rinse and repeat at the TDL.

This off season fire everybody from the Oilers front office. Obviously hire a competent Front Office and GM who has full autonomy. Stick to the plan. Don't rush players. Sure it sucks to waste another McJesus year but in two years you will have a team to compete for the next 5-6 or longer.

Reactions: 780il

dayner

May 23, 2017
Realistically, If it was 2OA I would talk to Colorado about their 2 1st Rd picks. If for some reason the Ottawa pick is 4th and the Avs pick is 14th I would check to see if you could trade for those two picks. Could pick up two SOLID pieces, a forward at the top and a Dman with the lower pick. Probably best for the club, although kakko could look good on mcdavids wing.....but we did said that about Yamamoto...&...Poolparty....

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

Looking for offers on our pick . what would you offer for the following picks and what cap dumps would you be willing to take back .

2nd OA ?

Okay, I'll try for 2nd OA

Isles offer Leddy, Bellows, Skarek and our 2019 1st for #2 OA

We can't offer the RH Center because we only have one but Leddy gives you a top pairing LD with PP experience, our 2nd best goalie prospect, a solid winger prospect and a 1st that will be in the low to mid 20's in all likelihood. If you also want Ho-Sang I could add that too.

Tkachuckycheese

Oilers/Sens
Feb 2, 2016
If the Oilers get one of the top 2 picks. I'd hope they let the player develop for a season or 2 not with the big club.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Utterly ridiculous post

Weber is still a fantastic defenseman. If the Olympics started tomorrow i think Canada still selects him top 2 for D.

Maybe he'll decline at some point and he is signed for long but he carries tremendous impact/value on ice and would actually be an absolutely incredibly valuable player to add to Edmonton. Both for on-ice play and the leadership he brings off ice.

Now im obviously not saying he's worth a top 2 overall pick - but to say you wouldn't take him for free is just dumb.

The only way the Oilers could take Weber is if you are taking Lucic and Manning and (now) Gagner and...

You have to take all of that with the #2OA for us to even consider it. You would only trade for Weber if you feel you can win in the next few years because after that his contract is likely an anchor. We could offer even one roster payer of value added to that #1 or #2 OA because then there is zero chance we are even a playoff team.

So in that sense, Weber is worthless to the Oilers.

Here is the only trade that would make sense for the Oilers to acquire Weber...

To the Oilers...
Weber
Lehkonen

To the Canadiens
#1OA or #2 OA
Lucic
Manning
Gagner

... still not sure that gets us to where we need to be to resemble and actual playoff roster.... and I already know the Canadien fans' reaction to that.

Honestly the Oilers are in hell right now. They need to keep the cost controlled ELCs and wait for some of the dead weight to fall off.

The only way the Oilers can trade that pick is for a really good NHL player that fits a need on your team, one that is signed to a team friendly deal or a trade like the one I put forward. This is the Oilers situation.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Realistically, say Detroit were at #5, what would it take to swap picks from #1 or #2?
I wouldn't do it.

Imo if we get 1 or 2 you don't move it period.
The difference between Hughes/Kakko and Dach for example is pretty large.

Edit: If we had #2 then I'd trade down for 5 and something like Mantha. Willing to add something like Bear and a 3rd to make it happen.

Last edited:

yurnxt

Apr 7, 2009
Weber isnt available for trade and as a Habs fan i have no desire to take Lucic

Im not claiming its worthwhile to discuss a specific trade - all im saying is the original poster i replied to was implying Weber has no value because of his contract. And im saying thats 100% BS. there might be some concern over his contract but hes still a highly valuable player and asset thanks to his current level of play.

I certainly cannot argue against the talent Weber is in the here and now however his value as an asset is absolutely obliterated by that contract.

Let's pretend Weber hits the free agent market this summer, what kind of contract does he receive? I promise you the answer is nowhere near the 7 years and 55 million he is still owed.

Reactions: Spazkat

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
If the Oilers get the 2nd overall pick.

I would trade Zibby for the the 1st plus others. I don’t know exactly what the others is.

I think the Oilers know really well that having a top pick doesn’t necessarily mean a solid player. I think Oilers need more of a sure thing like a 26 year old first line player that can contribute to winning now. Not a player that is probably 2-4 years away.

The Rangers on the other hand are rebuilding. It would stink to lose Zibby but having a player like Hughes or Kakko, is a nice risk playing with there other young players.

I’m really bad at making trades but how about this.

Oilers trade

1st round 2019 - if it is top 2 overall
1st round 2020
E. Bear
Lucic- Salary dump

Rangers trade

Zibby

The question is how much value is rewarded due to the Rangers taking Lucic at 100% salary.
A top 2 pick, ANOTHER 1ST, and a decent prospect for Zibby (yes I'm aware we're dumping Lucic) but no f***ing way lol.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
If there's one thing you can count on...It's fans of poorly run teams always talking about "the future" because the present is so embarrassing. However the most obvious secret is that until good ownership is in place "the future" will never come.

Right now the Oilers ownership/management is lost at sea with little hope of finding land. They had the #1 overall pick 4 out of 6 years which included the best player in the world and thay can't make the playoffs in a league where 50% of the teams do? Jesus.

Look at the Islanders...Maybe worst owner in all of sports in charles wang, who hires his goalie right from practice as GM and gives him a lifetime contract, which lasts even after he sold the team and is dead. The Islanders proceed to win 1 playoff series in his 15 years of ownership and he shoehorns his franchise into a basketball arena where you can't sell tickets behind the goal.

New owners, Ledecky and Malkin come in, and in less than 2 years hire elite people (Lamoriello/Trotz) to do their jobs, secure a brand new arena in Belmont, and team is having best season in 20 years - Despite having less talent than in the last 5 years of snow/wang.

Ownership is everything folks. You choose to ignore that fact then you might as well stick your head in the sand and keep getting in debates on hockey internet boards about "the future."

Reactions: Spazkat and AzKing

yababy

Jun 26, 2015

Busts
PRV
Yakupov
Puljujarvi ?

1st OA ?
2nd OA ?
3rd OA ?
4th OA ?
5th OA ?
6th OA ?

Oilers need depth.
Have to trade that pick for 2 nhl players. Should have done that starting with Yakupov draft

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->