If Buffalo won the draft lottery and you were the projected #1 pick in the draft, would you sign?

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
How many players in this draft are NHL ready? Being drafted to Buffalo, especially if they sell off some of their top pieces (seems inevitable), is a nice way to get opportunity quickly. If things really don't go well, sign a 4yr extension after your ELC & you'll be gone in 3, at age 24/25.

Buffalo is in a lot of turmoil right now but things can turn around quickly. It's not a career graveyard. Plenty of great careers have passed through Buffalo in the Eichel era. Since 2013, their top 10 picks have all become reasonably good players - Ristolainen is a 500+ game, almost 250pt top 4 D, Reinhart is closing in on 500 games (46 away) & 300 pts (5 away), Eichel is an absolute stud, Nylander looks like he is starting to solidify himself as a top 9 F, Mittelstadt was great in the 2nd half of the season, Dahlin has been incredibly prolific for a young DMan and Cozens looks well on his way to being a dynamic top 6er.

They will return to respectability one day and, when they do, the reception they receive throughout the city will make it a fun thing to be a part of.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
If I'm Shane Wright or Connor Bedard, no. I'd go anywhere else but Buffalo and don't blame them if they refuse to sign there. But if I'm Matthew Beniers, I'd sign but maybe would play NCAA a little longer even though he's not my favourite for first overall.

At the time I judged Lindros on not signing in Quebec, but after he cleared the air after his career if the same situation was with the Leafs as the Nordiques owner was very frowned upon if he owned the Leafs he would've done the same thing there. So I grew to forgive Lindros in that aspect. But as for Brind'Amour, big no as that was a total jerk move.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Yes I would sign because I am going to be a millionaire NHLer. Buffalo still has a lot of young talent too. Definitely would rather play there than for most of the Canadian teams too.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
Just fail at Buffalo‘s interview.
“I play for money and chicks. And I like to drink a few beers at lunch and never miss my sundowner. Cheers!”

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Just fail at Buffalo‘s interview.
“I play for money and chicks. And I like to drink a few beers at lunch and never miss my sundowner. Cheers!”
Well, this on the contrary will make this player a favorite in the eyes of Buffalo. :laugh:

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
This is a silly premise in a normal draft. In a draft with no clear consensus this is even worse. You need enormous leverage to pull this off and benefit from it (Lindros).

Every team knows their run could end at any time: see San Jose.

Why risk drafting a guy that says he's a fair weather teammate and doesn't want to be "the guy" who saves a franchise?

In this years draft that kind of stunt could drop you 5 spots no problem.

NHL is cyclic. 10-15 years ago Buffalo, Ottawa and SJ were powerhouses. A few years ago Colorado was absolute rock bottom. This too shall pass.

10-15 years is an entire NHL career fwiw.

I don't think any player in this draft has that kind of leverage. Would have to basically be McDavid and he was fine going to Edmonton.

Would love to be drafted by a California or Florida team really, regardless of their team's condition and if they stank the next 10 years. I'd be chilling on beaches with celebrities and hanging out on penthouse pools year round. Buffalo New York no offense, very few draws there.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Buffalo is probably one of the most likely places where you'd get to play straight out of the draft and thus get to UFA status as early as possible. Play the long game. Suffer for at least the 3 Yrs ELC and go from there.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Let’s say you’re in Beniers’, Hughes’, Clarke’s shoes (whoever gets drafted 1st overall) and Buffalo is the team picking you. Do you pull a Lindros? Should a player not have a say in going to work in a toxic work environment for the next 7 years? You’re essentially throwing at least half your career away.

If it were me, I honestly think I might. The only thing holding me back is I want to know what would happen if I did that. When could I sign with a different team? Would I be Sabres property for 4 years? There’s no easy way around the Sabres Problem, but if you’re a promising young prospect starting his NHL career and you see what’s going on with Eichel and Reinhart, you wouldn’t want to be there. Even look at Dahlin... he was supposed to be a generational defenceman. I guess he still could be but it looks like he too has fallen ill to the Sabres way.

Just nonsense.

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
Any player who is picked 1st overall and doesn't want to play in the NHL for ANY TEAM right away is stupid. You have the chance to make 1 million + a year in salary and bonus. Add in endorsements and the chance to learn the NHL game - it's a no brainer. Sign with your team, take the 1.5+ million a year, play there until 23-24 and get dealt. Losing out on he probably 5-10 million by sitting out and not signing is a BAD move.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
If it were me I'd quietly with my agent have a conversation with the GM that I don't want to be drafted by Buffalo. Honestly nothing against the city/fans I just wouldn't want to get into that team.

Now if they've obviously replaced the front office ala Edmonton with Holland or Toronto with Lou etc I wouldn't have a problem if I felt things were headed in the right direction.

Hypothetically if I was a prospect in this draft and Buffalo hired Gorton, Richardson and someone like Boudreau or Gallant tomorrow id be fine.

This coming from a Fan of Edmonton........ How many first overall picks did you get and waiste.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I'd take the opportunity to become the Lord and Saviour of Buffalo

Then 5 years down the road eat my words

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
This coming from a Fan of Edmonton........ How many first overall picks did you get and waiste.
What does the incompetence of management and the franchise have to do with fans?

You think during the peak of the decade of darkness in Edmonton I would've wanted to be in Edmonton if I was a 1st overall?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad