If Buffalo won the draft lottery and you were the projected #1 pick in the draft, would you sign?

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Player has something to lose in that if they are one of the Wolverines, are they getting any better in their JR/SR years playing in the NCAA and not taking the next step up in competition.

Team will own your rights. And none of these kids in this draft have the clout to pull a demand off like Lindros.

We're talking about different scenarios. I'm imagining a case where tomorrow a guy like Owen Power wakes up and tells his agent, "Ya know, I really just do not want to play in Buffalo" and that headline runs all over.

Do you think Buffalo walks up to the podium and drafts that player knowing he's told the whole world that he doesn't want to be there?

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
This thread is ridiculous. Absolutely no top-flight hockey prospect is going to torpedo his own career for 7 prime years by sitting out and refusing to sign. I can see a player (a la Lindros) saying “trade me or else” and having a deal get done that gets Buffalo the rough equivalent of that player’s services to play somewhere else, but he’s not just going to go play in Europe for 7 years out of spite.

Also, there is no player with even close to Lindros’ clout in this draft. Whoever we take will sign for the rookie max the same as every other top three pick.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This thread is ridiculous. Absolutely no top-flight hockey prospect is going to torpedo his own career for 7 prime years by sitting out and refusing to sign. I can see a player (a la Lindros) saying “trade me or else” and having a deal get done that gets Buffalo the rough equivalent of that player’s services to play somewhere else, but he’s not just going to go play in Europe for 7 years out of spite.

Also, there is no player with even close to Lindros’ clout in this draft. Whoever we take will sign for the rookie max the same as every other top three pick.
I doubt any of these kids will do that. Like Power may be a very good Dman or he might be another Risto, solid but not great.

What they can do is tank the interview like Yak and Burke to the point Burke took him off their draft board. That’s more of a low key way to avoid Buffalo if you truly don’t want to go there.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL

They don't have to do that. They can go play NCAA hockey and sign wherever they want after they've used up their eligibility.

That actually seems like an attractive idea right now. Just go to NCAA and tell Buffalo that if they keep their rights, they have no intention of signing with them. Worst case scenario you sign elsewhere at 22.

Power and Beniers are already at UM, so they can just use up their eligibility and sign elsewhere, if they so choose.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
They don't have to do that. They can go play NCAA hockey and sign wherever they want after they've used up their eligibility.

That actually seems like an attractive idea right now. Just go to NCAA and tell Buffalo that if they keep their rights, they have no intention of signing with them. Worst case scenario you sign elsewhere at 22.

Power and Beniers are already at UM, so they can just use up their eligibility and sign elsewhere, if they so choose.

Riding it out until you hit FA is a massive risk though, as much of a trainwreck as Buffalo is I don't see a prospect doing that.

I think the more likely scenario is that a guy goes to the media and essentially says "I do not want to play in Buffalo."

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010

Cool, now you've had 3 more years of not making money, are still signed to the same ELC money you would have had 3 years ago and are 5 years away from free agency instead of 4.

Goomba

Mario is a Devils fan
May 7, 2021
Of course. What's the issue? it's a struggling team chances are I was going to go a struggling team anyways unless the 14th seeded team won the 1st pick, which would be stupid, but I would sign with whoever drafts me.
Buffalo isnt just struggling. Theyre imploding.

They likely wont have any of Eichel Reinhart Ristolainen or Dahlin by 2023

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Cool, now you've had 3 more years of not making money, are still signed to the same ELC money you would have had 3 years ago and are 5 years away from free agency instead of 4.
They get a 2 year ELC instead of a 3 tear one when they wait.

Also, they only get paid $925k if they're in the NHL.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
These kids have an agent or advisor. Doubt they would be told that it would be a good idea to do that. If this was Shane Wright next year then maybe he does have the clout to do that. These kids this draft aren’t in the same tier.

Get to the nhl, perform well in your elc, get a good bridge deal to get some money in the bank then within a year of ufa like Reinhart and Trouba if things are what you want you can get out by telling the club that you will go to arbitration and become a ufa. Or if you perform well enough to be valued around the nhl like PLD you can get out sooner but you have no leverage in dictating your landing spot.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Blake Wheeler did it so he didn't have to play for the Coyotes.

True, it's possible. But I think the fact that we have to go back almost twenty years to find an example of a top 5 pick taking that avenue shows how rare it is.

I guess it depends what your goal is. If you want the freedom to sign anywhere and don't mind the risk you take by waiting for FA, then you could go the Wheeler route.

If your goal is just "anywhere but Buffalo," then I would just be upfront about that and ask that they don't draft you.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Ya I would... absolutely 100%

I would want it a goal of mine to be a main reason I turn the team around

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
If you are a top 5 pick you are going to bottom feeder plain and simple.If you are a player who has any type of competiveness in them you welcome the challenge. Buffalo has struggled now for 9 years which is unbelievable however you put a good coach in place and now you are all of a sudden a good team with a great core.All teams struggle at some point and hit bottom its a cycle.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Nothing wrong with a 3 year ELC deal and leave, if Buffalo is still bad. I know they are RFA, so I think the best play is to demand a 1 year ufa deal or sit out the season.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
This again?

The same thread (multiple actually) was made about McDavid and Edmonton.

An 18 year old high draft pick will get tons of minutes on the Sabres instead of getting buried like Seguin on the Bruins.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
A good new coach changes everything and automatically makes Buffalo a playoff candidate. Bring in a good new coach with a functional system and Buffalo still have great potential, their roster isn't bad on paper. Their drafting, trades and roster building have not even been that bad. They just consistently hire horrendous coaches (especially Krueger who halted the development of the very talented generation they have coming through).
The problem starts above the coach.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
More of a difference than people like to think. Buffalo absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt, have a better roster than lets say, the Islanders.
In a skills competition maybe.

In a competitive game of hockey.... no.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I’d sign but only because I’d feel weird being a 17 year old kid who hasn’t proven anything making demands like that.

on the flip side, if I was dead set on playing college hockey I would possibly use that loophole to become a free agent in a few years.

that’s a huge risk though. #1 overall ELC as a teenager isn’t too bad.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
If I'm a projected 1st OA pick and the Sabres win the lottery, at the very least I call up Jack Eichel and Sam Reinhardt and ask them their opinion about whats going on so I would know what I'm getting into.

Pretty sure you can watch their interviews and get the gist of it...

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Yes. How cool would it be to literally be the savior of a franchise? Or at least be part of it.

I feel bad for Sabres fans that have to deal with threads like this year in and year out. I wish you all the best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->