If Buffalo won the draft lottery and you were the projected #1 pick in the draft, would you sign?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
No, because I'm against NHL's slave market culture. I'd clearly announce that I'm only going to play for one of my preferred teams before the draft, listing the teams I want to play on, which will mostly include places I'd enjoy living in.

If I was good enough to be the projected #1 pick, I feel like I'd have the leverage to do so.

Reactions: r0bert8841

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
My issue is that Eichel wanted the surgery. We're talking about someone that's 24 years old so why would he do something to jeopardize his career? I'm sure he's discussed a multitude of things with the surgeon to gain comfort around this decision to take this action. Yeah, never done on an NHL player but what about any other professional sports? What does conservative mean in this context? That term needs context as could he be living in discomfort without the surgery and a 10% chance of some negative impact with the surgery?

So your issue is with the 2015-2018 draft class and pre-maturely labeling the 2018 draft with just hope. I think draft slot performance and expectations are a little out of align. If you get a mid 6 player or top 4 defensemen with a 30-38 OVR (Veleno, McIsaac, Berggren) then those are good picks and it's hard to say with McIsaac with his injuries but the other two are tracking well. I don't think you will find a Wings fan support the 2017 draft and the 2016 draft we were still chasing the playoff streak. What if Holland got his wish to actually rebuild the proper way and we select Chychrun instead of trading back and still got Hronek plus didn't sign Nielsen? That's two top 4 defensemen but we will never know because he was instructed to compete and not rebuild. We can complain all we want but the simple fact is we haven't had lottery success or even been in a position to pick premiere talent which prolongs the rebuild.

He was not "instructed" to "not rebuild"
That's utter bullshit only speculated about by fans.

Go back and listen to Holland's end of year press conferences.
Holland didn't rebuild because Holland didn't want to rebuild.
Holland never "wished" for a proper rebuild.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Yes because if I'm 18 I want that 6 figure Salary. Just the entry level contract of three years is enough to set you up with at least a nice house and car even if you never played again after that, and that's without performance bonuses.

Plus I wouldn't want that reputation and being that player who didn't sign.

2 others

Mar 9, 2021
No, because I'm against NHL's slave market culture. I'd clearly announce that I'm only going to play for one of my preferred teams before the draft, listing the teams I want to play on, which will mostly include places I'd enjoy living in.

If I was good enough to be the projected #1 pick, I feel like I'd have the leverage to do so.
This is America, where workers' rights are thought to be impractical. Watch the movie "12 Years A Slave" to get an idea of the professional North American sports market. Also, the timeline in the movie comes close to an average to good NHL career.

Reactions: Guttersniped

PittsburghHustlers

Jan 9, 2017
Stockholm
Of course I would sign, today’s players are way to spoiled if they don’t jump on the opportunity to play with the the team that drafts them (if nothing out of the ordinary happens).

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
He was not "instructed" to "not rebuild"
That's utter bullshit only speculated about by fans.

Go back and listen to Holland's end of year press conferences.
Holland didn't rebuild because Holland didn't want to rebuild.
Holland never "wished" for a proper rebuild.

Jimmy Devellano has confirmed Holland told the Ilitch family to rebuild after the loss to Boston in the playoffs and again after the first lost to Tampa. They wanted to keep the playoff streak going, he warned them it would be at great cost to the future and make the bottom harder... So ummm yeah we do know more about that.

Holland isn't a rah rah rebuilding guy though, never was. I don't think he wanted the tear down version, he has an opportunity in Edmonton to do what he excelled at for most of his career. Take really talented stars and get the other pieces to help them win. I think he will be successful there.

To the topic, Buffalo is in a tough spot. I don't see guys really going to the extent of draft guys denying playing there. But the Pegula's have had a nightmare run here, you wonder how they can run the Bills as well as they do while they run the Sabres so terribly. We used to make similar jokes about the Ilitch family with the Tigers and Wings in the 90s. They eventually figured that out, unfortunately without a championship for the better Tigers. For as passionate as the fan-base is in Buffalo, I hope they get a turnaround soon, brutal stretch.

Last edited:

AnonymousHockey

Mar 20, 2019
Let’s say you’re in Beniers’, Hughes’, Clarke’s shoes (whoever gets drafted 1st overall) and Buffalo is the team picking you. Do you pull a Lindros? Should a player not have a say in going to work in a toxic work environment for the next 7 years? You’re essentially throwing at least half your career away.

If it were me, I honestly think I might. The only thing holding me back is I want to know what would happen if I did that. When could I sign with a different team? Would I be Sabres property for 4 years? There’s no easy way around the Sabres Problem, but if you’re a promising young prospect starting his NHL career and you see what’s going on with Eichel and Reinhart, you wouldn’t want to be there. Even look at Dahlin... he was supposed to be a generational defenceman. I guess he still could be but it looks like he too has fallen ill to the Sabres way.

you need to be a Lindros in order to pull a lindros. There is no Lindros available. So unless you are a lindros, aka an 18 year old who has a physique and skill set of someone who can dominate the league, you do the smart thing and sign with who ever drafts you.
Everyone of the drafts players are going to need the experience and guidance of the NHLs resources to get better. You do not demand Jack shit unless you know you can make it without help.

AnonymousHockey

Mar 20, 2019
Sure, but if a kid makes it known that he doesn't want to be in Buffalo, are the Sabres going to draft him anyways? I doubt it.

100% they will. Imagine if Quebec decided not to draft Lindros. Another team gets Lindros, and you get nothing other than a different player that was never as good. Look at the haul Quebec gets back.

For arguments sake, Shane Wright decides to hold out next year. I control Wrights destiny for at least 2 years still drafting him. I would bet I could score 2 first rounders from this 2021 draft next year if I draft Wright anyway, rather than just let someone else grab him for nothing.

between that, and I highly doubt Shane Wright wants to give up 2 years of his career doing absolutely nothing but playing junior.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
100% they will. Imagine if Quebec decided not to draft Lindros. Another team gets Lindros, and you get nothing other than a different player that was never as good. Look at the haul Quebec gets back.

For arguments sake, Shane Wright decides to hold out next year. I control Wrights destiny for at least 2 years still drafting him. I would bet I could score 2 first rounders from this 2021 draft next year if I draft Wright anyway, rather than just let someone else grab him for nothing.

between that, and I highly doubt Shane Wright wants to give up 2 years of his career doing absolutely nothing but playing junior.

Oh in a Lindros or Wright draft, sure, I hear you. This year though? I don't know.

Let's just say, totally hypothetically, Buffalo wins #1 and they have Power and Beniers first and second closely on their board. Then Power makes it known internally that he feels like Buffalo will stunt his development and he'd prefer not to play there.

Would you take him and ship him, or do you just move on and grab Beniers? In a Lindros year certainly you leverage the pick, but this year I think you might just move on.

AnonymousHockey

Mar 20, 2019
Oh in a Lindros or Wright draft, sure, I hear you. This year though? I don't know.

Let's just say, totally hypothetically, Buffalo wins #1 and they have Power and Beniers first and second closely on their board. Then Power makes it known internally that he feels like Buffalo will stunt his development and he'd prefer not to play there.

Would you take him and ship him, or do you just move on and grab Beniers? In a Lindros year certainly you leverage the pick, but this year I think you might just move on.
Yes you’d move on. It’s as if Yakupov revealed himself before the draft instead of pretended he’s something that he’s not.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I certainly would think about it if I was a player in the NCAA.

Personally I would play it season by season. Things can change, so I would give them a chance to get their friggin shit together before taking that big of a hit to your personal brand (a large amount of hate will flow if refusing to sign. And may follow you forever).

Ottawa looked like a toxic graveyard two seasons ago. And today they almost completely changed their team culture in a positive one with DJ Smith at the helm, and they're loaded with talent, promise and optimism. And it looks like its about as fun a team as you could be on for a young and talented player looking for a group of players to bond, grow and win with.

But if the Sabers look as destitute as they do today, or ever worse - and the expectation is for this player to come in and change this teams fortunes like a one man army Jack Eichel style - while management/ownership continue to bumble around and make terrible decisions... Your damn straight I would explore every option closely before signing with the Sabers.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
If I'm a day 1 NHLer I probably sign, hard to offset a full ELC plus a favourable bonus package in Europe.

I think the real questions revolve around the likes of Peterka/Johnson and any other A/A- type prospects, and whether it's in their best interests to sign ELC's. AHL money + SB's is much more easily offset with any of
degree + UFA
Pro money in europe
re-enter draft in two seasons (CHL)

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
If we get this far, signing players at all no longer matters.

Best case is the Pegulas have to sell the team.

Worst case is Bettman has to get involved and then who knows.

Not signing one top pick will pale in comparison to Buffalo going the way of Quebec.

I can't imagine any other fanbases are so petty that they'd want Buffalo to lose their hockey team.

Sub in Melnyk for Pegulas and sens fans were and have been saying this for years unfortunately nothing happened

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Yeah, if Crosby signed with the Penguins where they were, I am sure you could sign with the Sabres.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Yes I would. Getting picked first overall in an NHL draft would be a major accomplishment in and of itself. I wouldn't want to risk that because of a bad interview.

Frankly, I would be proud to play for any NHL organization. If it is one steeped in recent success and great history - that would be awesome because being a part of that history would be a privilege. If the team is one without recent success or one that lacks notable history, as a 1st overall quality player, I would love the opportunity to be *that* player that creates success and history for the organization. That'd be a great way to get a number retired and hopefully into the hall of fame.

Entering the NHL as a top prospect would be immensely exciting regardless of who has the 1st overall pick. Lots of opportunities.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If I'm a day 1 NHLer I probably sign, hard to offset a full ELC plus a favourable bonus package in Europe.

I think the real questions revolve around the likes of Peterka/Johnson and any other A/A- type prospects, and whether it's in their best interests to sign ELC's. AHL money + SB's is much more easily offset with any of
degree + UFA
Pro money in europe
re-enter draft in two seasons (CHL)
By the time you finish your degree if you are say Power, you could have completed your ELC. Even as a UFA from the NCAA you are looking at a 2 year ELC contract. So, depending on how well you perform during the 3 year ELC, you would have made maybe 8 figures more by the time you complete your ELC as a NCAA free agent.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Of course. What's the issue? it's a struggling team chances are I was going to go a struggling team anyways unless the 14th seeded team won the 1st pick, which would be stupid, but I would sign with whoever drafts me.

Buffalo is a little more than struggling at this point

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
By the time you finish your degree if you are say Power, you could have completed your ELC. Even as a UFA from the NCAA you are looking at a 2 year ELC contract. So, depending on how well you perform during the 3 year ELC, you would have made maybe 8 figures more by the time you complete your ELC as a NCAA free agent.

The 1st words of my post are "if I'm a day one NHL player I probably sign"

I agree with the general sentiment that unless you've got the clout to get traded and not miss time any player that would be in the NHL in d+1 shouldn't hold out.

But if I'm Ryan Johnson, two years from finishing from my degree with no guarantee of being in the NHL day 1 I would probably stay in school.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad