If Buffalo won the draft lottery and you were the projected #1 pick in the draft, would you sign?

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
The college guys, like Power, who have already played one year of college hockey, would only have to finish their degrees and then wait until Aug of that year to move to UFA. Hmmm, if you were already thinking you were a year away, you are talking about 2 years, playing hockey and earning a degree before you head off into the sunset. Not a slam dunk decision in my book, if you are in that situation.

Yog S'loth

Sep 7, 2005
Southern California
I mean... Lemieux and the Penguins eventually worked it out, and that benefitted the Pens to the tune of multiple cups. And the Penguins were an absolute gong show at the time.

Lindros and the Nords couldn't work it out... and that benefitted the Nordiques to the tune of multiple cups.

Reactions: Sweetpotato

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
All of those clubs drafting at the top are bad. Wherever I go I see it as my job to fix the problem. I don't shop around for winning teams, it's my job and my teammate's jobs to make a winning team. And if I'm hot enough to get taken #1 OA I might just think I'm good enough to pull off what Jack Eichel couldn't do.

That and in all seriousness, with myself, Dahlin, Cozens, Mittelstadt, and the giant hauls they get for Eichel and Reinhart, the team might be half decent in a couple of years.

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
Maybe alittle off topic but I know NCAA guys can stay in school for 4 years and become a UFA, how would someone from the CHL do that? Or could they even?

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Maybe alittle off topic but I know NCAA guys can stay in school for 4 years and become a UFA, how would someone from the CHL do that? Or could they even?
Yes. CHL players who are drafted and then go unsigned for three years before free agents. You see it pretty frequently with lesser well-known players; that guy Seattle just signed out of the QMJHL as their first-ever player was picked in 2018 by Carolina.

However, you’d be hard pressed to find a talented young man who would willingly choose to stay in the CHL through his 20-year-old season and stunt his development while forgoing an entry-level contract to make less than minimum wage.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
Hard to pass up that money and at the same time Buffalo has a really good fan base. My main concern is how they handled Eichel’s injury. I’d sign with them, not much term after ELC and if they try that medical crap like Eichel I go public.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Nope if i'm Power, Benier or Hughes and Buffalo drafts me, I stay in college at Michigan finish my degree and become a UFA and sign elsewhere. Anyplace but that joke of an organization.
No player has to remain there for their entire career.

If you get drafted by them follow the Trouba/Reinhart path and sign a bridge deal to get to arbitration. Like Trouba the team likely trades you after year 6.

If you are good enough to be valued around the NHL you ask for a trade and you may get out like PLD.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Dod93Cityt

Do You Believe In Ghosts?
Aug 29, 2012
Canada
I'm not gonna act like I'm the one-off who isn't gonna sign. Yeah, I'd probably sign that contract lol

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Yes. CHL players who are drafted and then go unsigned for three years before free agents. You see it pretty frequently with lesser well-known players; that guy Seattle just signed out of the QMJHL as their first-ever player was picked in 2018 by Carolina.

However, you’d be hard pressed to find a talented young man who would willingly choose to stay in the CHL through his 20-year-old season and stunt his development while forgoing an entry-level contract to make less than minimum wage.

2 years for CHL players, but they re-enter the draft if they are still draft eligible (which most drafted players would be). If no one drafts them, then they are UFA. If they get drafted, then they have 2 more years to wait, if they want to go that route.

Reactions: Dominance

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
At such a young age, I'm signing with any team that wants me and collecting my money.

Gotta secure myself and the family first.

Seriously. Imagine you stay in college the extra years so that you don't have to play ice hockey for a living with a team that's been bad lately, and then you get devastating concussions in your senior year and you never earn a cent. Or imagine the Sabres actually turn out to be a really good team in a couple years while you're still doing stats homework.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
Truthfully I would. The level of incompetence from the Sabers pissed me off alot so yes and I would say it publically as well.

Players need to stand up for their careers more.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
Remember that as the first wave of the Detroit rebuild crumbles into ashes...
And the second wave shows signs of doing the same.
What first & second wave?

I found the comments about the Sabres from the Wings fan to be pretty entertaining myself. Absolutely no room to talk from that similar dumpster fire of late.
Not exactly the same, Detroit made the playoffs in 2015-2016 season and had quite the run before that. They haven’t had a top 3 pick in that time. They also have competent FO.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
What first & second wave?

Not exactly the same, Detroit made the playoffs in 2015-2016 season and had quite the run before that. They haven’t had a top 3 pick in that time. They also have competent FO.

f***. Maybe 3 waves.
First wave: Mrazek, Tatar, Nyquist, Sheahan, Ouellet, Jurco, Sproul, etc etc
Second wave: Mantha, Larkin, Athanasiou, Bertuzzi.
Third wave: Svechnikov, Cholowski, Rasmussen, Zadina

In some ways, it's starting to look like Yzerman is starting almost from scratch.
Seider is Day 1.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
Maybe the league should have a rule that if you’re drafting in the top 10 for 5 years in a row you forfeit your first round pick for 2 years. Perhaps it would put pressure on mediocre teams to get your shit together.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
f***. Maybe 3 waves.
First wave: Mrazek, Tatar, Nyquist, Sheahan, Ouellet, Jurco, Sproul, etc etc
Second wave: Mantha, Larkin, Athanasiou, Bertuzzi.
Third wave: Svechnikov, Cholowski, Rasmussen, Zadina

In some ways, it's starting to look like Yzerman is starting almost from scratch.
Seider is Day 1.
So our rebuild started when exactly? Most of those players came when Illitch/Holland was extending the playoff streak. I see no top 5 picks and only 2 top 10 picks both of which are still fairly young. Most of those players are second rounders or later. If you want to argue that Holland should’ve drafted better, okay but let’s at least acknowledge where that staff was picking versus a rebuilder like Buffalo and the current state of the team.

Reactions: r0bert8841

ClassicBusiness

Mar 20, 2012
Hard to pass up that money and at the same time Buffalo has a really good fan base. My main concern is how they handled Eichel’s injury. I’d sign with them, not much term after ELC and if they try that medical crap like Eichel I go public.
How have the handled his injury besides opting for conservative treatment instead of rushing a never-done-on-an NHL player before surgery on his neck?

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
So our rebuild started when exactly? Most of those players came when Illitch/Holland was extending the playoff streak. I see no top 5 picks and only 2 top 10 picks both of which are still fairly young. Most of those players are second rounders or later. If you want to argue that Holland should’ve drafted better, okay but let’s at least acknowledge where that staff was picking versus a rebuilder like Buffalo and the current state of the team.

Holland was drafting just fine.
The first wave is "rebuild on the fly" assets. Almost all those players were great picks.
The second wave - AA, Mantha, Larkin, Bertuzzi - 4 more great picks.
It's that 15-17 era that's really starting to stink, despite snagging Hronek in round 2.
There's still hope for 18. Guys like Veleno and Berggren are just starting. But I think the outlook for Veleno, McIsaac and Zadina is dimmer than it once was.
Harder to say with Berggren.
But there's a strong possibility that Hronek is the biggest impact player we landed from 15-18.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
How have the handled his injury besides opting for conservative treatment instead of rushing a never-done-on-an NHL player before surgery on his neck?
My issue is that Eichel wanted the surgery. We're talking about someone that's 24 years old so why would he do something to jeopardize his career? I'm sure he's discussed a multitude of things with the surgeon to gain comfort around this decision to take this action. Yeah, never done on an NHL player but what about any other professional sports? What does conservative mean in this context? That term needs context as could he be living in discomfort without the surgery and a 10% chance of some negative impact with the surgery?

Holland was drafting just fine.
The first wave is "rebuild on the fly" assets. Almost all those players were great picks.
The second wave - AA, Mantha, Larkin, Bertuzzi - 4 more great picks.
It's that 15-17 era that's really starting to stink, despite snagging Hronek in round 2.
There's still hope for 18. Guys like Veleno and Berggren are just starting. But I think the outlook for Veleno, McIsaac and Zadina is dimmer than it once was.
Harder to say with Berggren.
But there's a strong possibility that Hronek is the biggest impact player we landed from 15-18.
So your issue is with the 2015-2018 draft class and pre-maturely labeling the 2018 draft with just hope. I think draft slot performance and expectations are a little out of align. If you get a mid 6 player or top 4 defensemen with a 30-38 OVR (Veleno, McIsaac, Berggren) then those are good picks and it's hard to say with McIsaac with his injuries but the other two are tracking well. I don't think you will find a Wings fan support the 2017 draft and the 2016 draft we were still chasing the playoff streak. What if Holland got his wish to actually rebuild the proper way and we select Chychrun instead of trading back and still got Hronek plus didn't sign Nielsen? That's two top 4 defensemen but we will never know because he was instructed to compete and not rebuild. We can complain all we want but the simple fact is we haven't had lottery success or even been in a position to pick premiere talent which prolongs the rebuild.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad