If Buffalo won the draft lottery and you were the projected #1 pick in the draft, would you sign?

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
Im saying players drafted by Buffalo obviously wont hold out and create a narrative about themselves as soon as their career starts. But ur nuts if you think prospects are dying to get picked by Buffalo
How the hell would you know? You don't know shit.Thats your opinion,don't act you know stuff you dont

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
Believe whatever you want pal. Itd be oblivious of you to think the players dont care lol
Of course they care.However a player who has any type of competitiveness and pride wants to be part of something to turn this once great franchise around.Obviously everything starts from the top.Adams might be new however y getting Karmonoes he knows he needs help so bringing him in is huge.Next is the coach.They have to get this right.Granato did a hell of a job in the fact that he got the kids back on track.The difference in Dahlin,Jokiharju, Mitts,Thompson,Asplund was night and day.Add in callups in Bryson,Borgen,Samuelson, Murray, R2 and Lukkanen and as a Sabres fan it gives you hope.Granato put Reinhart at centre and he proceeded to play his best hockey of his career.Do they make Granato head coach or go for a name coach? .Obviously Eichel and Reinhart coming out and whinning puts a damper on things but if they stay the course and sign a few goalies they will be fine.I don't expect you to know this stuff as you aren't a Sabres fan just like I don't know your clubs situation. The difference is I wouldn't rip a club just because I was bored on the internet and especially if I didn't know your clubs situation. If they trade Eichel and Reinhart so be it.Get the assets draft first overall and build their core.They have great young prospects who are on the team and some who aren't. Obviously some will pan out some won't will see

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Owen Power wants to stay in college and he plays the same side as Dahlin so go with Michigan center Matthew Beniers. They are going lose Eichel so time to stock up on centers.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Owen Power wants to stay in college and he plays the same side as Dahlin so go with Michigan center Matthew Beniers. They are going lose Eichel so time to stock up on centers.
Nah BPA you don't go for need at the top of the draft that's just terrible management and he can carry another pairing which the Sabres absolutely need more than more forwards imo. Cozens and Mitts to be good enough in the top 6 in a couple years. Even when the team was playing better the forwards were the ones doing most of the work the 2nd and 3rd pairing were kind of awful while Dahlin-Joki were doing really well together.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Yes considering Buffalo was one of my favorite teams growing up. I think its dumb that he is thinking of going back simply because its Buffalo. f*** that guy sounds like an entitled prick now. Athletes now days think they are above everyone and everyone should just do what they want. It's kind of sad people side with that. Most people don't get to be so choosy.

johnnybbadd

Mar 29, 2011
I think it depends on the type of person. As a person that has watched a whole lot of sports my whole I would definitely sign in Buffalo because if you play like a franchise player there you will be able to run for mayor and win. You will be a God to the people of Buffalo.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I'd sign there in an instant.

I'd even suggest there are several teams I'd not want to be drafted by before Buffalo comes up.

Buffalo won't lose their team, ever. Too good of a hockey market.

Really, is it??
They had the cheapest tickets in the league

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Yes considering Buffalo was one of my favorite teams growing up. I think its dumb that he is thinking of going back simply because its Buffalo. f*** that guy sounds like an entitled prick now. Athletes now days think they are above everyone and everyone should just do what they want. It's kind of sad people side with that. Most people don't get to be so choosy.

Can you provide a quote from Power saying the reason he wants to go back to college is because he doesn't want to play for BUF? Because I haven't read one.

And if not, how does Power wanting to play another year of college now make him an "entitled prick"? On the contrary, it shows me that the kid is both smart and self-aware. He knows that he isn't quite ready to play at the NHL level and wouldn't want to derail his development just so he can get paid right away.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Angler

Apr 23, 2017
Yes I would sign. The self entitlement and privilege of refusing the sign would be a bad reflection of that persons character. It's a red flag. This has to be one of the best jobs on the planet, so I don't buy into this type of behaviour. If you get drafted by a team, you play for that team until traded or released. That's just my opinion.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Yes I would sign. The self entitlement and privilege of refusing the sign would be a bad reflection of that persons character. It's a red flag. This has to be one of the best jobs on the planet, so I don't buy into this type of behaviour. If you get drafted by a team, you play for that team until traded or released. That's just my opinion.

I guess we are completely opposites when it comes to determining one's character.

For me, a kid choosing to stay in NCAA and delay getting paid the money until he feels he's ready shows great character and maturity. Conversely, someone who just chases a paycheck when they know they aren't ready shows a complete lack of character and THAT would be a red flag for me.

Angler

Apr 23, 2017
I guess we are completely opposites when it comes to determining one's character.

For me, a kid choosing to stay in NCAA and delay getting paid the money until he feels he's ready shows great character and maturity. Conversely, someone who just chases a paycheck when they know they aren't ready shows a complete lack of character and THAT would be a red flag for me.

Here's the thing. The reason why he would opt for the NCAA wouldn't be because he "doesn't feel ready". Lets not pretend that he would be there for character development. It would be because he doesn't want to play for a particular team. Those are two very different reasons.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Here's the thing. The reason why he would opt for the NCAA wouldn't be because he "doesn't feel ready". Lets not pretend that he would be there for character development. It would be because he doesn't want to play for a particular team. Those are two very different reasons.

Source?

Angler

Apr 23, 2017

It’s common sense, #1 draft picks don’t get to their spot just to opt out of a NHL opportunity so he can play NCAA and develop his character. Also, we are talking about a hypothetical situation posed by the original poster. There are no sources lol.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
It’s common sense, #1 draft picks don’t get to their spot just to opt out of a NHL opportunity so he can play NCAA to develop his character. Also, we are talking about a hypothetical situation posed by the origanally poster. There are no sources lol.

OK....I didn't see the OP and wasn't aware this was a hypothetical exercise.

Back to reality, I can think of a few recent #1OA picks that would've been better off not jumping to the NHL right away and they both play for the Devils.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Let’s say you’re in Beniers’, Hughes’, Clarke’s shoes (whoever gets drafted 1st overall) and Buffalo is the team picking you. Do you pull a Lindros? Should a player not have a say in going to work in a toxic work environment for the next 7 years? You’re essentially throwing at least half your career away.

If it were me, I honestly think I might. The only thing holding me back is I want to know what would happen if I did that. When could I sign with a different team? Would I be Sabres property for 4 years? There’s no easy way around the Sabres Problem, but if you’re a promising young prospect starting his NHL career and you see what’s going on with Eichel and Reinhart, you wouldn’t want to be there. Even look at Dahlin... he was supposed to be a generational defenceman. I guess he still could be but it looks like he too has fallen ill to the Sabres way.
I believe Clarke is a 2 year player while Beniers, Hughes, and Power are NCAA so 4 years for them.
The issue is none of these players are Lindros. Lindros was a 'Next One' candidate who had potential to be franchise altering. These players are just high end players.

newmanager

Feb 5, 2010
I would for sure sign in Buffalo if picked 1st and then I'd show them how right they were in picking me. I'm always up for a challenge. There'd be a lot worse places than NHL Sabres.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad