Value of: If Arizona offersheets Matthews what do you do?

What do you do?

• Total voters

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
lol.

If insert team offersheets insert player what do you do?

Call Edmonton?

You think Matthews wants to play in Edmonton but not Toronto? Doesn't make any sense.

Think about it.

If he wants to play in Arizona then I guess we should start the count-down on McDavid doing a Tavares to Toronto right?

Give your head a shake.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
None. Anyone who has examined what star players do to attendance would realize its a faulty premise. If Jagr and Bure couldn't dramatically alter attendance for Florida and Washington, Matthews won't for Arizona. The only way to long-term grow attendance is to win and create long-term fans. Look at Nashville as a successful example or the Sharks. They had very good players but what got people going is the team winning.
take the 4 unprotected 1st
betting line would suggest 2 of those 4 becone future all stars
Arizona with Mathews isn't a lock to even make the playoffs
and if he hurts his shoulder again u might win the lottery

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Fake news. Go back and revise to say "rarely" happens. Just cause it has not happened for a few years, it don't mean it will never happen again. Not likely but possible.

I honestly don't think Matthews will go to offer sheet threat cause I think the Leafs will pay him. Nylander and/or Gardiner will be the ones they unload to free up cap space. Marner and Matthews will get paid.

My prediction is they match the Tavares contract in AAV... 8x $11M. I do think Marner will be willing to take a bit less vs Mattthews. Will be interesting to watch and there are other key RFA's who will be also negotiating contracts. Who signs first and sets the bar?

Fake News? When was the last time any player changed hands off of an offersheet? Last one I can recall was Dustin Penner about 10 or more years ago. If they ever happen again, then fine lets talk about them. Right now, there are a lot of Offer Sheet threads, and seems like 2-3 every week prop up, yet none have happened in a long time.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
IF Matthews wants out, you just offer him the couple years to bring him to UFA ASAP at the $10.1 figure. Toronto isn't going to take only two 1sts, and a 2nd, 3rd. They match everytime. But then they're paying him +$10M and have to balance the cap, while AZ waits for him to hit UFA. Then they have a shot at him in three years. For free.. Costs them nothing. Offering him max money and term just locks him into Toronto for seven years when/if they match or costs them a fortune in compensation.
Matthews obviously has to actually want out to make it work.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Fake News? When was the last time any player changed hands off of an offersheet? Last one I can recall was Dustin Penner about 10 or more years ago. If they ever happen again, then fine lets talk about them. Right now, there are a lot of Offer Sheet threads, and seems like 2-3 every week prop up, yet none have happened in a long time.

When you say "never", it's fake news. Change it to rarely happens

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Ok so here goes.
Arizona can afford to pay him 14 mill a year easy. Anyone who says they cannot does not understand how the salary cap works. What they cannot do is afford to sign him and sign the complementary pieces to make this team a contender. This means although an offer sheet makes sense for Arizona it makes no sense for AM. So unless A) AM wants to be known as the savior in the desert singlehandedly leading to multiple Stanley cups OR B) Bob Parsons buys the team and then its totally possible to have a max cap team since he has more money than God there is no earthly reason for this to be a topic of debate.

Arizona has had **** ownership every year of their existence here. There are lots of reasons that its not working here and plenty of blame to go around. Having said that these threads are really just an excuse to kick the Coyotes around. We can keep these threads up till AM resigns, and then hopefully this can stop.
Odd comment given the Coyotees have to cheat to actually reach the cap floor yearly. You do know "Cap Space" arguments with Arizona is just worthless, right? Their issue is actual money, not cap space. Hence why they take everyone's LTIR and retired players. Those are cap hits with very little actual cash (Or none).

Anyone questioiing if they can afford a max contract is 100% right.

And these threads are not an anti-Coyotees thing at all. It's about opposing fans desperately wanting to see Matthews in Arizona and the Leafs screwed. It's anti-Leafs if anything.

Last edited:

paragon

May 5, 2010
I mean sure, but they're giving up 4 1st round picks for only 3 years of Matthews (assuming Toronto doesn't match) in that case.
I doubt Toronto would match that, because it would essentially mean he would be paid 17M until he is UFA because of the way RFA qualifying offers work.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
When you say "never", it's fake news. Change it to rarely happens

The when I say never bit, is referencing since the last time it happened. It has been way too long since there has been one, to speculate so much about the prospect of it. It is almost like all the 3 way trade proposals we see, as they are very rare, yet we see a constant barrage of 3-way trade proposals.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I doubt Toronto would match that, because it would essentially mean he would be paid 17M until he is UFA because of the way RFA qualifying offers work.

1) Toronto will have Matthews signed to an 8 year contract before July 1 hits, almost guaranteed.
2) On the off chance Matthews becomes RFA, not only will Toronto be able to match, they will guaranteed match any offer that comes their way. Marner will also be signed and or matched.

For players like, McDavid and Matthews, their are no teams out there, that would rather have cap space and 4 1st round picks. I mean, lets say, Winnipeg, Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh or any other playoff-to-top contender signed him and you let him walk, well those 4 1st rounders would be end of the 1st round picks, in the 25-31 range, hardly even a decent price for a player of that calibre.

Any of the lower tier teams, that tried and sign him, giving up 4 potential high end picks is a large risk as well.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Really!!! American kid, born and raised there, idolized the Yotes growing up. Can live in relative anonymity, community wise. Remember, this is the kid who spurned the normal hockey route and took the money to play in Europe. I am not convinced he is completely happy in Toronto. He is playing second fiddle to JT and Marner. I know it is blasphemy to Leaf fans, of which I am one, but maybe trade 34 in the offseason. Get quite a haul for him and fix a lot of warts. And if the Leafs do win a Cup, they can still give him a ring, like the 04 Red Sox did with Nomar. He still would have helped them win, be it in a secondary manner.
Matthews wanted them to sign Tavares and was one of a few Leafs who welcomed him to the team via Twitter on July 1st. Plus Marner is one of his best friends on the team.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
I was thinking he'd then sign a long term contract to play in his home town.
but it's dependent if he wants to leave TO and be a captain in his home city.. (similar to what tavares did)
Tavares wouldn't have done it if the Leafs weren't good. Arizona isn't good.

Reactions: 7even

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Tavares wouldn't have done it if the Leafs weren't good. Arizona isn't good.

Yeah, that's what people are missing. It's not like Tavares at all. Matthews would be doing the opposite.
If the Leafs were in the Coyotees position, Tavares doesn't even meet with them. I guarantee it.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Really!!! American kid, born and raised there, idolized the Yotes growing up. Can live in relative anonymity, community wise. Remember, this is the kid who spurned the normal hockey route and took the money to play in Europe. I am not convinced he is completely happy in Toronto. He is playing second fiddle to JT and Marner. I know it is blasphemy to Leaf fans, of which I am one, but maybe trade 34 in the offseason. Get quite a haul for him and fix a lot of warts. And if the Leafs do win a Cup, they can still give him a ring, like the 04 Red Sox did with Nomar. He still would have helped them win, be it in a secondary manner.

Not everyone wants to live their life as an unknown. The guy is treated like a movie star in Toronto.
And Nomar played on the 04' Sox, that's why he got a ring.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I like how the OP fired off a Matthews offer sheet and then shoe horned a McDavid move to Toronto. I mean, why not infuriate two fan bases at once?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah, that's what people are missing. It's not like Tavares at all. Matthews would be doing the opposite.
If the Leafs were in the Coyotees position, Tavares doesn't even meet with them. I guarantee it.
After Toronto finished last place overall in 2016 they still didn't sign Steven Stamkos when he almost became a UFA, because Lou Lamoriello tried to sell him on playing back home and it's something he didn't care about.

Mudds

Jan 18, 2018
That's wonderful. Now where do they get the $? And Matthews will need massive signing bonuses. 40 million+ the first 2 years at least.
And where does the $ come from to support Matthews so they can win? And is the team moving to Houston?

You do know that every team works with the same amount of salary cap right. That includes signing bonuses. It doesn't matter which organization makes more money anymore.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Again I'm only talking about if Arizona offersheets Matthews and the value is 4 1sts (any legitimate offersheet for Matthews will be 4 1sts)

Toronto's offer for McDavid could be something crazy like

4 1sts (remember those are Arizona unprotected 1st round picks)
2 1sts (from Toronto)
Sandin

Again I'm asking if Toronto should call Edmonton first before match Arizona offer, I have no idea what the offer would have to be with 6 1st round picks going one way (I'm just spit balling on the offer but the bulk of the value will be be Arizona 4 1sts).

For a team like Edmonton if they want to restart their rebuild but this time doing it properly this could be one hell of an offer

You match immediately.

But, just for fun if they call Edmonton the offer for McD is beyond huge.
4 Ari 1sts
4 TO 1st
Nylander
Sandin
Liljegren
ought to just about do it.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
You do know that every team works with the same amount of salary cap right. That includes signing bonuses. It doesn't matter which organization makes more money anymore.
Not all teams want to give signing bonuses and it's one advantage the Leafs have, the same way others can mention the no state tax advantage the Lightning have and used it when they re-signed Kucherov and tried to use when they talked to Tavares.

Sittler 27

Best fans Anywhere
Jun 12, 2010
If his intent is to sign a large offer sheet with the Coyotes, basically showing a desire to play there, then take the 4 1rst rounders. As much as i like him his injuries worry me and the cap space will help. Marner is the 1 i want to keep over the 2

DJIncognito

Jun 9, 2007
Why would Matthews want to go there and not be able to contend?

Hometown and big money is great and all but not if you're going to be out of the playoffs all the time. They need a lot more work before Matthews would go imo. he will get good money in Toronto, be on a contender - and the team dynamics make it seem like a family already

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad