Value of: If Arizona offersheets Matthews what do you do?

What do you do?

• Total voters

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
Since you brought up revenue sharing I'm sure a good amount of money the Coyotes get comes from the Leafs.

Oh yeah? Can you show us numbers that proves that? Their revenue was 98 mill last year. People are saying they lost 50 million last year which is not true. Can you show us numbers that specify exactly how much “the leafs” gave the yotes before taking some weird credit for a made up story?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Oh yeah? Can you show us numbers that proves that? Their revenue was 98 mill last year. People are saying they lost 50 million last year which is not true. Can you show us numbers that specify exactly how much “the leafs” gave the yotes before taking some weird credit for a made up story?
Here is evidence from Forbes which says the Coyotes lost $50 million.

Arizona Coyotes Burned Through About $50 Million Last Year

Sources familiar with the team’s situation, but not authorized to speak about it publicly, say the Coyotes have been averaging cash losses of around $30 million a year the past five years, and during the latest fiscal year they estimate team lost some $50 million. That’s a big loss when revenues are only $300 million or thereabouts.

So far I can not find any numbers of what the Leafs give them in revenue sharing. However given that Toronto is valued at $232 million, I'm sure they pay their fair share for a team like the Coyotes in revenue sharing.

Last edited:

Aug 3, 2010
I sit back and watch because my favourite team will likely have nothing to do with this outcome.
<insert MJeatspopcorn.gif here>

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Yeah I mean Nathan Horton is another good one. Robidas too. I guess it’s different when someone else does it though, it’s cheating then.

It makes perfect sense why Arizona would sheet him. Leaf fans are just scared of it actually happening so they need to go on the offensive and try to shut down the conversation.

No dude, we are not scared of a near impossible thing happening, we're tired of HF turning a blind eye to Leaf troll threads which would not be tolerated for anyone else.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
It's not cheating the system, it's just embarrassing that you can't afford to ice a roster that's above the cap floor without resorting to on-paper transactions. Western teams get to beat up on a roster that isn't cap competitive while eating up their revenue sharing to barely stay afloat while absolutely hemorrhaging money. It's a strange and unnecessary experiment. The strangeness is really punctuated when some delusional people actually think that this organization can afford a 15+ million offer sheet on top of all that. You actually have to pay those, you know?
I'm okay with not spending to the cap during a rebuild. We gutted the roster in attempts to tank to get McDavid and that went against the organization. We've taken measures to keep team competitive during this period while giving ourselves maximum roster flexibility. AZ hasn't put themselves into cap difficulty with free agency where agents can take advantage of them like potentially the agents for Mathews and Marner have done to Leafs. Those agents are going to continue to float likelihood of offer sheets and Leaf fans will continue to be defensive. I don't think it's the Coyotes I would be worried about. Not until we get clarity on the new owner and his desire to make headlines.

As for AZ. They are a middle of the pack team this year with a fairly strong record considering the decimation of injuries on their roster. AZ should be dead last but they aren't. In fact I think they are a playoff team with a healthier lineup. For all the shade you are throwing this is a pretty underrated team right now. Much better than I expected considering who is out.

And this thread wasn’t created by someone who posts on AZ board.

Leaf fans. Trust me when I say this but fans of other teams like to see your reactions when they float stuff like this out there. It may be other Coyote fans but it’s unlikely.

Personally I have a kid who’s a Leaf fan and I have a signed Marner jersey hanging in the man cave. I’m cheering for the Leafs in the playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: powerstuck

Ingvar

Jan 16, 2016
Moscow
If I were Matthews and got an offer sheet from Arizona close to max contract, I would sign immediately. You become a hometome star, earn boatload of money and if things go south you become a UFA when you're young enough to either earn another boatload of money with another team or go chase cups Durant style.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
If I were Matthews and got an offer sheet from Arizona close to max contract, I would sign immediately. You become a hometome star, earn boatload of money and if things go south you become a UFA when you're young enough to either earn another boatload of money with another team or go chase cups Durant style.

I've already accepted the fact he will play for the Coyotes if they still exist in 10-12 years, but not now.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
I pull a stomach muscle laughing so hard because regardless of what happens a team that is really good or a team that has the potential to be really good has just completely screwed the pooch.
Toronto - if they match has completely messed up their cap management budget and plans which would require the trading of a core piece to stay out of cap hell
Arizona - if TO does not match does the same to them and the Hossa contract acquisition bites them in the ass plus they lose their next 4 1st rounders which kills their cheap talent pipeline.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
No dude, we are not scared of a near impossible thing happening, we're tired of HF turning a blind eye to Leaf troll threads which would not be tolerated for anyone else.

It’s not a troll thread it’s a legitimate possibility and again just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean nobody can talk about it. Don’t read it. Problem solved

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016

"There’s a good reason Andrew Barroway wants investors for the Arizona Coyotes. His NHL team is burning cash at a rapid pace.
Sources familiar with the team’s situation, but not authorized to speak about it publicly, say the Coyotes have been averaging cash losses of around $30 million a year the past five years, and during the latest fiscal year they estimate team lost some $50 million. That’s a big loss when revenues are only $300 million or thereabouts."

I don't have numbers, but Leafs have been top 3 (And #1 a lot) in giving to revenue sharing since the Coyotees came to Arizona.
And really, why would you find that hard to believe? Leafs are ridiculously rich,

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
Here is evidence from Forbes which says the Coyotes lost $50 million.

So far I can not find any numbers of what the Leafs give them in revenue sharing. However given that Toronto is valued at $232 million, I'm sure they pay their fair share for a team like the Coyotes in revenue sharing.

That article has been debunked. Also you can’t provide actual numbers then? It’s easy to sit back and say shit without providing facts. Every team gives them money not just you so stop acting like it’s just Toronto. Auston Matthews wouldn’t even exist without this franchise. Having a franchise in Arizona means developing more Auston Matthews so that the league has more talent.

Again I submit to you, just because you are triggered doesn’t mean we can’t talk about it. Provide facts and not heresay.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
That article has been debunked. Also you can’t provide actual numbers then? It’s easy to sit back and say **** without providing facts. Every team gives them money not just you so stop acting like it’s just Toronto. Auston Matthews wouldn’t even exist without this franchise. Having a franchise in Arizona means developing more Auston Matthews so that the league has more talent.

Again I submit to you, just because you are triggered doesn’t mean we can’t talk about it. Provide facts and not heresay.
When and from who? What's a better source than Forbes?

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
It’s not a troll thread it’s a legitimate possibility and again just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean nobody can talk about it. Don’t read it. Problem solved
Not a troll thread. Just part of the recent fad of Leaf offer sheet topics. Something that never happens..

OK I accept that your are engaged not to troll but because thing almost certain not to happen are facinating.

Good story.

Let's talk about you favorite player quitting to do ice capades next ok?

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
That article has been debunked. Also you can’t provide actual numbers then? It’s easy to sit back and say **** without providing facts. Every team gives them money not just you so stop acting like it’s just Toronto. Auston Matthews wouldn’t even exist without this franchise. Having a franchise in Arizona means developing more Auston Matthews so that the league has more talent.

Excellent idea. Please provide us some facts that indicate Arizona can afford to sign Matthews to an offersheet including huge up front bonus money.

Stop talking about Leaf fans and start providing some facts and numbers.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
If Arizona wanted to offer Matthews huge money $13+ million and he signed the offer sheet then if I were the Leafs I would not match and would enjoy Arizona's next 4 first round picks some (most?) of which would almost be assured to be lottery picks and then maybe look at offer sheeting one of the remaining high profile RFAs (Rantanen, Connor, Point etc...) for less money.

Other than the home town angle why would Matthews do this?
If I were the Leafs and were going to worry about Matthews signing an offer sheet I would be more concerned by a team like Columbus who will be losing Bobrovsky and Panarin and presumably be looking to bolster their line up.
They are a team I could see maybe trying an offer sheet on a top RFA this Summer not a budget team like Arizona.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
Excellent idea. Please provide us some facts that indicate Arizona can afford to sign Matthews to an offersheet including huge up front bonus money.

Stop talking about Leaf fans and start providing some facts and numbers.

Here is a fact. They are a pro sports team who has to spend real money not buttons to pay players salaries yearly. Hence they can give money to a player if they so desire. I really can’t believe I have to actually explain this to you.

Once again I see that you were fine with all the stamkos to Toronto threads and Tavares to Toronto threads but this one isn’t allowed because it hurts your feelings.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
Not a troll thread. Just part of the recent fad of Leaf offer sheet topics. Something that never happens..

OK I accept that your are engaged not to troll but because thing almost certain not to happen are facinating.

Good story.

Let's talk about you favorite player quitting to do ice capades next ok?

If that was a possibility sure. We could talk about it and it should be talked about. Why wouldn’t it be? This is a hockey forum. I sure as hell wouldn’t be trying to silence people for doing so.

It hardly ever happens but it does. When exactly is there ever such a unique situation like this one where a team can up their franchise value from signing a hometown guy who is not from a traditional hockey market who just so happens to be one of the best players? Difficult to grasp I know

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

Yeah compared to the other threads about Matthews where he is bashed because he has not yet had a 70 point season or at least 30 assists, since his 40 goals as a rookie don't seem to matter as a counter argument. How about complaining him being ranked in the top 10 of TSN's top 50 players list or being ranked as a top 5 centre on a list done by the NHL Network. Those same people who bash him for those things are the same people who want him to sign an offer sheet because they think it will screw over the Leafs.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
Yeah compared to the other threads about Matthews where he is bashed because he has not yet had a 70 point season or at least 30 assists, since his 40 goals as a rookie don't seem to matter as a counter argument. How about complaining him being ranked in the top 10 of TSN's top 50 players list or being ranked as a top 5 centre on a list done by the NHL Network. Those same people who bash him for those things are the same people who want him to sign an offer sheet because they think it will screw over the Leafs.

Are you a victim all the time?

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
So you mean to tell me those negative comments about Matthews were not said on here? I'm no victim, I'm just telling the truth.

Who cares? Do you take that personally? What does that have to do with what we are discussing here which is Matthews could be offer sheeted? Stop changing the subject and talk about the actual thread topic

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Who cares? Do you take that personally? What does that have to do with what we are discussing here which is Matthews could be offer sheeted? Stop changing the subject and talk about the actual thread topic
For Matthews or any other player in the NHL to get an offer sheet they would have to be a very special and elite player, because those are the ones who you assume might get an offer sheet. However when others on HF in the past talked about what Matthews has never done you think he was nothing special and not worth being a high priced player. So in my opinion it seems they want to put him down whenever they can and at the same time talk him up so he can get an offer sheet so it can screw over the Leafs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad