Value of: If Arizona offersheets Matthews what do you do?

What do you do?

• Total voters

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Again I'm only talking about if Arizona offersheets Matthews and the value is 4 1sts (any legitimate offersheet for Matthews will be 4 1sts)

Toronto's offer for McDavid could be something crazy like

4 1sts (remember those are Arizona unprotected 1st round picks)
2 1sts (from Toronto)
Sandin

Again I'm asking if Toronto should call Edmonton first before match Arizona offer, I have no idea what the offer would have to be with 6 1st round picks going one way (I'm just spit balling on the offer but the bulk of the value will be be Arizona 4 1sts).

For a team like Edmonton if they want to restart their rebuild but this time doing it properly this could be one hell of an offer

Dietpepsi

Jun 27, 2015
can they offer him a 3 year deal as opposed to the max length?
Ex : 3 years @ 17 mil / season just so Toronto doesn't match?

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Again I'm only talking about if Arizona offersheets Matthews and the value is 4 1sts (any legitimate offersheet for Matthews will be 4 1sts)

2 1sts (from Toronto)
Sandin

Again I'm asking if Toronto should call Edmonton first before match Arizona offer, I have no idea what the offer would have to be with 6 1st round picks going one way (I'm just spit balling on the offer but the bulk of the value will be be Arizona 4 1sts).

For a team like Edmonton if they want to restart their rebuild but this time doing it properly this could be one hell of an offer

I hate how fans talk about a team "offer sheeting" or "giving an offer sheet" to somebody. The player has to sign an offersheet, and I can't see any reason why Matthews would sign in Arizona.

Reactions: teddygmr

Dietpepsi

Jun 27, 2015
I mean sure, but they're giving up 4 1st round picks for only 3 years of Matthews (assuming Toronto doesn't match) in that case.
I was thinking he'd then sign a long term contract to play in his home town.
but it's dependent if he wants to leave TO and be a captain in his home city.. (similar to what tavares did)

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I was thinking he'd then sign a long term contract to play in his home town.
but it's dependent if he wants to leave TO and be a captain in his home city.. (similar to what tavares did)
He is also taking up an insane amount of money on a team that historically doesn't spend a lot of money. A team that hasn't been very successful recently. Also, a team that will no longer have a 1st round pick in the next 4 years.

If the Coyotes were a young up-and-coming team (like Toronto is) it might be an intriguing possibility, but I find it hard to believe Matthews is chomping at the bit to be the face of a bottom feeder for the next decade.

EDIT: For comparisons sake, a $17-mill contract would be a 70% increase on their forward spending budget from right now.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

2 1sts (from Toronto)
Sandin

I doubt AZ has the money to pay Mathews and ice what they hope is a good team.

So, only reason he would sign the deal is to play and home and keep his childhood team in the state.

So, what you are proposing is for the Leafs to ask the Oilers if they would trade McDavid to them after Mathews gets an offer sheet. You are hoping that the oilers take those 6 future first rounders and Sandin?

Interesting....

Cap wise it still leaves the Leafs in a tight situation with their roster.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
"IF" Mathews is max offer sheeted, Toronto must move Marner immediately.
If they can't match, it would be devastating to that organization, they won't let that happen.

And P.S.
You can hang up Edmonton moving McDavid, it just won't happen no matter what you offer.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Yeah, the brokest team in the league is going to outbid Toronto.

Remember what Washington and Florida did with Bure and Jagr. It didn't really change attendance. People are very misguided in what they think gets fans to show up.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
I hate how fans talk about a team "offer sheeting" or "giving an offer sheet" to somebody. The player has to sign an offersheet, and I can't see any reason why Matthews would sign in Arizona.
If both Marner and Mathews make it to July 1st without a contract, you can bet there will be offer sheets. Talent like that doesn't come in to play from the same organization already cap strapped by a center and winger as it is.
You better hope they don't see July 1st is all I can say.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
"IF" Mathews is max offer sheeted, Toronto must move Marner immediately.
If they can't match, it would be devastating to that organization, they won't let that happen.

And P.S.
You can hang up Edmonton moving McDavid, it just won't happen no matter what you offer.
If Matthews is max offer sheeted, they let him go and sign Marner, IMO. Pretty much any player at max-contract is going to be an anchor on a team.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
As bad as it would be for Toronto, Arizona could end up with a bottom 2 finish 4 years in a row & Toronto's gets two 1st overall picks & two 2nd overall picks & they draft franchise players with all 4 picks.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
If both Marner and Mathews make it to July 1st without a contract, you can bet there will be offer sheets. Talent like that doesn't come in to play from the same organization already cap strapped by a center and winger as it is.

That remains to be seen. But why would they sign with a perennial doormat team in a market that may not have the team much longer? realize Matthews is from Arizona, but players aren't going to go a bottom team if there are good ones out there.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
can they offer him a 3 year deal as opposed to the max length?
Ex : 3 years @ 17 mil / season just so Toronto doesn't match?

Almost every team in the East would send Arizona some picks for doing that ?
It would start a Cold War among GMs.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I'll take that bet. No offersheets in 6 years and Stamkos did not get one after a 60 goal season.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Anyone wanna take a shot at how much Matthews signing an offer sheet would add to the value of the Arizona franchise? If the owner plans to sell anyway, he could boost the value and dump it off without really paying Matthews out of his own pocket. It seems like the boost of ticket sales and merch would almost save that franchise by bringing in an owner that wants to compete.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
That remains to be seen. But why would they sign with a perennial doormat team in a market that may not have the team much longer? realize Matthews is from Arizona, but players aren't going to go a bottom team if there are good ones out there.
That's the thing, people alwaus try to pin Tavares and Matthews as the same, apples and oranges. Arizona is a broke bottom feeder.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Feel like everyone is missing the point of the thread,

This is pure speculation based on the idea Arizona wants their Arizona kid back home

This is not a McDavid offer thread (it was my fault for including the offer). The bulk of the value of the offer will be in the 4 1st's + how a many 1st's Toronto adds + prospects. I'm asking should Toronto call Edmonton and see if they are willing to trade McDavid for a pile of 1st's + (whatever else is required to get the offer done, but again the bulk of the offer is in the 1st's so none of the top6 forwards on the Leafs are in play)

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Anyone wanna take a shot at how much Matthews signing an offer sheet would add to the value of the Arizona franchise? If the owner plans to sell anyway, he could boost the value and dump it off without really paying Matthews out of his own pocket. It seems like the boost of ticket sales and merch would almost save that franchise by bringing in an owner that wants to compete.
None. Anyone who has examined what star players do to attendance would realize its a faulty premise. If Jagr and Bure couldn't dramatically alter attendance for Florida and Washington, Matthews won't for Arizona. The only way to long-term grow attendance is to win and create long-term fans. Look at Nashville as a successful example or the Sharks. They had very good players but what got people going is the team winning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad