Value of: If Arizona offersheets Matthews what do you do?

What do you do?

• Total voters

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Well, let's see how the revenue sharing is looking before jumping to that conclusion. More leafs Matthews jersey's sold, the more likely the Coyotes can afford the offer sheet :)

Nah we can jump to that conclusion, the NHL had to own them at one point

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
If this scenario went down I’d be convinced we’re living in someone’s EA franchise mode simulation.

9GWG9

C=NV
Jul 13, 2007
No way they can pony up enough money to offer sheet him and if they do they won’t be able to fill out a roster.

But for shits and giggles.......

Leafs let Mathews walk and send the four 1sts, Tavares and Gardiner for McDavid.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I would think they double or triple their season ticket sales next summer if he's signed

From like 1000 to 3000. Or still WAY WAY WAY under what you're looking for for a successful team. Matthews would not have that kind of impact, either. Arizona is in a crap market and only survives because the league funnels money to them. Teams like Arizona are the reason for the continuous lockouts. That the league continues to throw good money after bad forever and ever is disturbing. Guys like Clayton Keller and OEL will toil in complete obscurity.

Reactions: Cotton

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
So 7 firsts for Mcdavid? Edm still says no

I mean this is apparently the fantasy land where the poorest team in the league by a wide margin offers the first and only ever max contract.

May as well throw all logic and reason out the window given OP's scenario

What if McDavid demands to be traded to Toronto for a 7th round pick and a signed Kyle Wellwood stick?

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Arizona doesn't have the ability to pay the majority of Matthews contract in signing bonuses. They are already operating at a deficit and if there is a lockout they definitely could not afford to shell out 10M bonus on July 1st with no revenue coming in for that year. Not going to happen.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I hate how fans talk about a team "offer sheeting" or "giving an offer sheet" to somebody. The player has to sign an offersheet ...

yeah this is s pet peeve of mine too

... I can't see any reason why Matthews would sign in Arizona.

because he is from there.
and they do have am emerging talented young core, as well as Cap Space

because he is from AZ,
this speculation will follow him his whole career

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
Off topic: I saw something interesting the other day. Would you trade Matthews an unsigned RFA look for huge dollars for Mackinnon who is signed at 6.3 per until 2022-23. Colorado would get a bit younger and the Leafs would get the cap relief to sign Marner and upgrade their D. This would be a good old hockey trade. Thoughts? BTW I am new here but have followed HF boards for some time and I have no idea how to create a new thread yet.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
If Arizona want to offersheet Matthews for 17 million a year and he accepts the leafs obviously will not match....

They would say thanks for the 4 lottery picks Arizona or whatever city/state the franchise moves to.

No way a cap floor team like Arizona could afford to pay 1 player that much, they wouldnt be able to surround him with any talent and would likely be really bad, 4 potential top 3 picks. They already have losses of over $50 million a year.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
OFFER SHEETS DON'T HAPPEN!

Fake news. Go back and revise to say "rarely" happens. Just cause it has not happened for a few years, it don't mean it will never happen again. Not likely but possible.

I honestly don't think Matthews will go to offer sheet threat cause I think the Leafs will pay him. Nylander and/or Gardiner will be the ones they unload to free up cap space. Marner and Matthews will get paid.

My prediction is they match the Tavares contract in AAV... 8x $11M. I do think Marner will be willing to take a bit less vs Mattthews. Will be interesting to watch and there are other key RFA's who will be also negotiating contracts. Who signs first and sets the bar?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If Arizona want to offersheet Matthews for 17 million a year and he accepts the leafs obviously will not match....

They would say thanks for the 4 lottery picks Arizona or whatever city/state the franchise moves to.

No way a cap floor team like Arizona could afford to pay 1 player that much, they wouldnt be able to surround him with any talent and would likely be really bad, 4 potential top 3 picks. They already have losses of over $50 million a year.

Think about the bonus money he will want up front too.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Something else people need to realize is that Kyle Dubas must have learned from what he did wrong with the William Nylander negotiations and will make sure he can sign Matthews and Marner before July 1, 2019 so they avoid becoming RFA's and there is no threat of an offer sheet.

Also here is another example of how rare offer sheets are.

Sergei Federov signed that offer sheet with Carolina in February 1998 when he was an RFA and could not agree to a contract with Detroit and they eventually matched it. The next time an offer sheet happened was July 6, 2007 when the Oilers gave one to Tomas Vanek. So we are talking about a full 9 years between them and it's more proof that Matthews will get one from the Coyotes is complete crap.

The3rd

Jun 20, 2018
If both Marner and Mathews make it to July 1st without a contract, you can bet there will be offer sheets. Talent like that doesn't come in to play from the same organization already cap strapped by a center and winger as it is.
You better hope they don't see July 1st is all I can say.
I'd take that bet. I think you're wrong because of the risks associated of dumping 4 1st rounders. You don't have the luxury of lottery protection and only teams not against the cap can do this. Generally teams that are not at cap max are budget teams that can't afford to get there. Imagine if that one player you break the bank on isn't a good fit and doesn't help your team win? All that lost revenue, not to mention that so many teams need to be competitive to draw attendance. This is a move that can cause relocation. Good luck getting ownership's approval to pursue a player like that. Now lets say a team that isn't a budget pursues them...I guarantee any team who can afford them, and chooses too, all of a sudden is in a cap crisis immediately. All the vultures will be picking players off you one by one and suddenly you are no longer in control of the other core players you want to build around. The unpredictability of a shakeup like this would cause is too much of a risk for 99% of teams to pursue. Won't happen!

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I was thinking he'd then sign a long term contract to play in his home town.
but it's dependent if he wants to leave TO and be a captain in his home city.. (similar to what tavares did)

If he'd rather play for a perennial loser instead of a future contender.. Leafs should trade him now.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Why would players on winning teams with bright futures leave to go play for shitty teams with no future.

4 1sts? So for 4 years.. You get no help to play with the guy. Players dont leave contenders to sign with losers

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Why would players on winning teams with bright futures leave to go play for ****ty teams with no future.

4 1sts? So for 4 years.. You get no help to play with the guy. Players dont leave contenders to sign with losers

unless there is a huge cap in pay otherwise I agree.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
If Chiarlli trades McDavid for nothing but picks, no matter how many picks it is, there would quite literally be a riot and public lynching. You don’t trade the best player in the NHL for probably at least the next decade for a bunch of magic beans. Any conversation for McDavid would start and end with Marner (assuming Matthews wasn’t on the table). Just like the Pens weren’t trading Crosby early even when they were crap, the Oilers aren’t trading McDavid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad