Value of: If Arizona offersheets Matthews what do you do?

What do you do?

• Total voters

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Feel like everyone is missing the point of the thread,

This is pure speculation based on the idea Arizona wants their Arizona kid back home

This is not a McDavid offer thread (it was my fault for including the offer). The bulk of the value of the offer will be in the 4 1st's + how a many 1st's Toronto adds + prospects. I'm asking should Toronto call Edmonton and see if they are willing to trade McDavid for a pile of 1st's + (whatever else is required to get the offer done, but again the bulk of the offer is in the 1st's so none of the top6 forwards on the Leafs are in play)
That's wonderful. Now where do they get the $? And Matthews will need massive signing bonuses. 40 million+ the first 2 years at least.
And where does the $ come from to support Matthews so they can win? And is the team moving to Houston?

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
A hometown superstar should be a must-have for Arizona, so if they're not prepared to offer sheet Matthews at max money, they may as well relocate the franchise, or fold it all together

And if Matthews is prepared to handcuff the Leafs' salary cap by signing that max offer sheet, then the Leafs should just let him go

As for flipping those picks to Edmonton, I mean, yeah, why not? Though I'd offer Nylander instead of Sandin

Reactions: CountKong

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Anyone wanna take a shot at how much Matthews signing an offer sheet would add to the value of the Arizona franchise? If the owner plans to sell anyway, he could boost the value and dump it off without really paying Matthews out of his own pocket. It seems like the boost of ticket sales and merch would almost save that franchise by bringing in an owner that wants to compete.
Arizona has more debt than actual value of their franchise. Matthews won't help much at all. They'd have to win with him first to have any affect.

Nervousbreakdown

Jul 3, 2017
I put on my rocket boots and fly to the moon for some delicious moon cheese because this is a ridiculous fantasy world you're describing.

Reactions: spaghtti

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
That remains to be seen. But why would they sign with a perennial doormat team in a market that may not have the team much longer? realize Matthews is from Arizona, but players aren't going to go a bottom team if there are good ones out there.
Players like Mathews and Marner are young and they are fully aware you can build around them. These players aren't dumb, they aren't just chasing the Cup, nor are they just chasing the dollar, they will sign an offer sheet that suits their needs as well as their desire to be "the guy", as well as fully understanding the process involved.

If Mathews is offered max term, which, he will be if he goes to July 1st, bank on it, he'll sign it.
If Marner is offered 10 to 11 as opposed to Toronto hoping for 8? He'll sign it, bank on it. As a matter of fact, his decision to defer contract negotiations until seasons end all but assures it. These guys and their agents aren't stupid, they are full aware of what's about to unfold...………...take that to the bank...………...because you can bet they are.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
None. Anyone who has examined what star players do to attendance would realize its a faulty premise. If Jagr and Bure couldn't dramatically alter attendance for Florida and Washington, Matthews won't for Arizona. The only way to long-term grow attendance is to win and create long-term fans. Look at Nashville as a successful example or the Sharks. They had very good players but what got people going is the team winning.

Jagr and Bure weren't Florida natives. Hell, they weren't even American

People care about their own, and I would assume folks in Arizona are no different

Reactions: SlimCharles

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
I'll take that bet. No offersheets in 6 years and Stamkos did not get one after a 60 goal season.
This is incorrect. He came off a 45 goal season and had already publicly verbally committed to working a contract with Tampa Bay. Go back and review your hockey history.

Reactions: HOPE

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
This is incorrect. He came off a 45 goal season and had already publicly verbally committed to working a contract with Tampa Bay. Go back and review your hockey history.
OK, wrong about the goals, but publically saying that means squat. The media commented how unbelievable it was he never got an offersheet.

I'll take bets of anyone getting an offersheet. 6 years and counting.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Jagr and Bure weren't Florida natives. Hell, they weren't even American

People care about their own, and I would assume folks in Arizona are no different

People care about winning. That's why Panthers fans were crazy excited in 96' when they won. Matthews won't mean squat unless they win.
Remember 96' with the plastic rats? Just win baby. Doesn't matter if you have 1 guy to root for but never win.

Last edited:

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Players like Mathews and Marner are young and they are fully aware you can build around them. These players aren't dumb, they aren't just chasing the Cup, nor are they just chasing the dollar, they will sign an offer sheet that suits their needs as well as their desire to be "the guy", as well as fully understanding the process involved.

If Mathews is offered max term, which, he will be if he goes to July 1st, bank on it, he'll sign it.
If Marner is offered 10 to 11 as opposed to Toronto hoping for 8? He'll sign it, bank on it. As a matter of fact, his decision to defer contract negotiations until seasons end all but assures it. These guys and their agents aren't stupid, they are full aware of what's about to unfold...………...take that to the bank...………...because you can bet they are.

This is going to be a very boring summer, bank on it. And no Tavares as a UFA this year.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
As a Sabres fan who watched Vanek get sheeted, I can tell you out right, it's more than possible or probable. If either of those players make July 1st, it's assured.
OK, wrong about the goals, but publically saying that means squat. The media commented how unbelievable it was he never got an offersheet.

I'll take bets of anyone getting an offersheet. 6 years and counting.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

You are right. They aren't dumb. Thus they aren't signing for bottom dwelling team in a shakey market.

But I can't wait until someone offer sheets Rasmus Dahlin. He isn't dumb. His agent isn't stupid. He'll sign an offer sheet that suits his needs and desire to be "the guy".

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
As a Sabres fan who watched Vanek get sheeted, I can tell you out right, it's more than possible or probable. If either of those players make July 1st, it's assured.
I don't get this. Based on what? There's obvious collusion.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
People care about winning. That's why Panthers fans were crazy excited in 96' when they won. Matthews won't mean squat unless they win.
Remember 96' with the plastic rats? Just win baby. Doesn't matter if you have 1 guy to root for but never win.

Do you really believe Matthews wouldn't move the needle at all in Arizona?

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
You are right. They aren't dumb. Thus they aren't signing for bottom dwelling team in a shakey market.

But I can't wait until someone offer sheets Rasmus Dahlin. He isn't dumb. His agent isn't stupid. He'll sign an offer sheet that suits his needs and desire to be "the guy".
If he makes it to July 1st in 3 yrs, It's possible.
But July 1st 2019 is approaching...……………………..like a freight train...…………………..for Toronto ;)
Have a nice evening now :)

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Do you really believe Matthews wouldn't move the needle at all in Arizona?

No. They have to win first.
Arizona has no money to pay him.

He's instantly got a winger in Keller there for him, he has an OK defense. Wouldn't take but a year and they'd be in the top 5 in the league with all that younger talent.
Mathews and Arizona...……………….yea, it's a match made in heaven for sure...………………….local boy turns LOCAL HERO...………………………..And a legend is born.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
He's instantly got a winger in Keller there for him, he has an OK defense. Wouldn't take but a year and they'd be in the top 5 in the league with all that younger talent.
Mathews and Arizona...……………….yea, it's a match made in heaven for sure...………………….local boy turns LOCAL HERO...………………………..And a legend is born.

Oh I think it's safe to say majority of HF believes this will happen in July and can't wait. Matthews in Arizona would make people are happy here.
In the end, Arizona has 300 million in debt and might move to Houston though...

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
It's funny how Leafs are in "Cap Hell', yet everyone believes the NHL's poorest team will suddenly get enough $ for a record NHL contract.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
What the hell does McDavid have to do with Matthews?

Edmonton would never trade McDavid for picks.

As far as Matthews, so many things would have to happen for him to sign an offer sheet and leave the leafs. I highly doubt he wants to leave the leafs but for argument sake let’s say he does sign an offer sheet. Toronto would no Doubt match it.

They have a window where they’re competitive right now and can make a run. Giving up Matthews for picks because he signed a mega offer sheet would hurt the leafs and woundnt make sense.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
People make and read these threads just so they can crap on the Coyotes.

Without a rich new owner with an arena in the Phoenix area there will be no offer sheet. In other words there will be no offer sheet.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Eichel, Ristolainen, Reinhart, will only be a year for Buffalo to be top 5.... except it's been 4 years.... and remember when Sabres fans were saying that Eichel would have gone #1 in the Matthews draft? Still waiting for that top 5.

But July 1 is approaching like a freight train and you can be Linus Ullmark will sign an offer sheet to go some place he can actually win. You have a good night too.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
People make and read these threads just so they can crap on the Coyotes.

Without a rich new owner with an arena in the Phoenix area there will be no offer sheet. In other words there will be no offer sheet.
No, it's because they have fantasies about Matthews leaving the Leafs and laughing about it.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad