Value of: If Arizona offersheets Matthews what do you do?

What do you do?

• Total voters

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Jagr and Bure weren't Florida natives. Hell, they weren't even American

People care about their own, and I would assume folks in Arizona are no different
I think this is a very flawed theory. One, because Arizona is filled with transplants, and this hasn't shown to work elsewhere. Matthews won't affect the team long-term unless they win. People don't pay to see a losing hockey team. The Sharks and Nashville didn't become successes because they got a local kid, they succeeded because they put out a product that was competitive and won.

Find me a market that was saved by a local kid. It doesn't exist. The novelty of a local kid wears off quickly if you aren't winning.

Edit: As of 2012, only 38% of people living in Arizona were born and raised there.

Guess how many Arizonans are natives?

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
can they offer him a 3 year deal as opposed to the max length?
Ex : 3 years @ 17 mil / season just so Toronto doesn't match?

No, the calculation for compensation is as follows:

• An offer sheet consists of 7 compensation tiers.
  • Compensation to the receiving club is made up entirely of draft picks.
  • The draft picks must available in the nearest entry draft, unless the compensation requires two or more draft picks in the same round: an extra year can be used to for compensation for these picks (if two 1st round picks are required, the club must have two 1st round picks available in the next three drafts)
  • Compensation is determined by the annual average (AAV) outlined in the offer made by submitting club.
  • The AAV for an offer sheet, which determines the compensation required, is derived by dividing the total contract value amount by the lesser of:
    • number of years offered, or
    • five (5) years
  • The AAV thresholds are readjusted each season, and is based on the average league salary for that season.
  • An offer sheet cannot be greater than 7 years in length.

Flamesjustwin

Oct 8, 2010
London ON
It won't happen but if Matthews signed a max amount offer sheet the Leafs would not match because financially it would kill the team. I mean they could but kiss Mitch Marner goodbye.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
I'll take that bet. No offersheets in 6 years and Stamkos did not get one after a 60 goal season.

And considering all the threads Leafs fans were making at the time one could consider this thread and the others like it to be karma.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
So Tavares isn't gonna anything for the Leafs.

That's about the info.
The Leafs would have been around whether we signed Tavares or not. They sold out with Dion as our captain, and in the entire 2015-16 season when we finished last place. People think Matthews saves the Coyotes just because he's from Arizona. But, I guess you missed the very simple point.

Arizona needs to win to fix their attendance issues. One player won't do it. But, nice editing down of my post to take a quote completely out of context.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I think this is a very flawed theory. One, because Arizona is filled with transplants, and this hasn't shown to work elsewhere. Matthews won't affect the team long-term unless they win. People don't pay to see a losing hockey team. The Sharks and Nashville didn't become successes because they got a local kid, they succeeded because they put out a product that was competitive and won.

Find me a market that was saved by a local kid. It doesn't exist. The novelty of a local kid wears off quickly if you aren't winning.

Edit: As of 2012, only 38% of people living in Arizona were born and raised there.

Guess how many Arizonans are natives?

Most of the players in the NHL come from Canada or overseas, so the fact is, most teams aren't in markets that produce superstars - which is why this is such a unique situation for Arizona

There was certainly buzz in Toronto after Tavares signed with his hometown team, but the Leafs sellout regardless of whether they're winning or losing

Do you have any examples of a young superstar joining his hometown team that didn't have a positive effect on attendance?

This would essentially be uncharted territory

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
The Leafs would have been around whether we signed Tavares or not. They sold out with Dion as our captain, and in the entire 2015-16 season when we finished last place. People think Matthews saves the Coyotes just because he's from Arizona. But, I guess you missed the very simple point.

Arizona needs to win to fix their attendance issues. One player won't do it. But, nice editing down of my post to take a quote completely out of context.

I would think they double or triple their season ticket sales next summer if he's signed

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Most of the players in the NHL come from Canada or overseas, so the fact is, most teams aren't in markets that produce superstars - which is why this is such a unique situation for Arizona

There was certainly a buzz in Toronto after Tavares signed with his hometown team, but the Leafs sellout regardless of whether they're winning or losing

Do you have any examples of a young superstar joining his hometown team that didn't have a positive effect on attendance?

This would essentially be uncharted territory
NHL teams improve attendance off of winning. That is the only thing that has been proven to be true. If the Coyotes stay a non-playoff team, whatever short term boost Matthews provides is unlikely to hold.

Do you think there would be less buzz if the Leafs signed Malkin or Karlsson instead of JT? I don't think the hometown stuff mattered at all. It was the fact we got an elite center in free agency. The hometown stuff is just the narrative pushed because it is a selling point that gains traction when journalist write stuff up. This isn't the NBA, individual players don't sell tickets at home, the only thing that has shown to fix attendance long-term is winning.

Chris Chelios in Chicago is the closest, and he didn't dramatically alter attendance or fanfare around the team. It took winning to do that.

I would think they double or triple their season ticket sales next summer if he's signed
I think that statement is comical. He wouldn't. They still play out in the middle of nowhere. For people to be excited about signing Matthews, they have to have some interest in hockey and care about Matthews. What do you think Matthews Q score in that market is? I bet he's not even close to the top 50 in that market among athletes. Your whole argument comes down to people liking their own. What about the fact only 38% of people who live in Arizona were born there (therefore they have a significant transplant population).

Historically, North American sports fans only care about one thing, and that is winning. Anything outside of that is a short term gain.

Auston Matthews doesn't fix the Coyotes. Coyotes winning and getting an arena in Phoenix or Scottsdale does.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
NHL teams improve attendance off of winning. That is the only thing that has been proven to be true. If the Coyotes stay a non-playoff team, whatever short term boost Matthews provides is unlikely to hold.

Do you think there would be less buzz if the Leafs signed Malkin or Karlsson instead of JT? I don't think the hometown stuff mattered at all. It was the fact we got an elite center in free agency. The hometown stuff is just the narrative pushed because it is a selling point that gains traction when journalist write stuff up. This isn't the NBA, individual players don't sell tickets at home, the only thing that has shown to fix attendance long-term is winning.

Chris Chelios in Chicago is the closest, and he didn't dramatically alter attendance or fanfare around the team. It took winning to do that.

I think that statement is comical. He wouldn't. They still play out in the middle of nowhere. For people to be excited about signing Matthews, they have to have some interest in hockey and care about Matthews. What do you think Matthews Q score in that market is? I bet he's not even close to the top 50 in that market among athletes. Your whole argument comes down to people liking their own. What about the fact only 38% of people who live in Arizona were born there (therefore they have a significant transplant population).

Historically, North American sports fans only care about one thing, and that is winning. Anything outside of that is a short term gain.

Auston Matthews doesn't fix the Coyotes. Coyotes winning and getting an arena in Phoenix or Scottsdale does.
Look at the Tampa Bay Lightning prior to them winning the Stanley Cup in 2004 and everything after that. They were not a good team until being able to draft Stamkos and Hedman in 2008 and 2009, made the Eastern Conference Final in 2011, had a few more years of losing. Then all of the sudden they make the Stanley Cup Final in 2015, along with Eastern Conference Final appearances in 2016 and 2018.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016

Attendance for the Blue Jays jumped by about 5500 per game for the 2013 season

Why?

Because of the buzz from their off-season acquisitions

They finished that season 74 - 88, last place in the division

The signing of Matthews would create a similar buzz in Arizona and attendance would skyrocket

Winning is great, but it's the excitement that winning provides which is what the fans crave

They want to be part of the "in" thing, and a Matthews lead Coyotes team would be just that

In any event, this is just pure speculation on both our parts, so continuing the debate really serves no purpose

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

Why?

The signing of Matthews would create a similar buzz in Arizona and attendance would skyrocket

Winning is great, but it's the excitement that winning provides which is what the fans crave

They want to be part of the "in" thing, and a Matthews lead Coyotes team would be just that

In any event, this is just pure speculation on both our parts, so continuing the debate really serves no purpose
The Blue Jays also had a history of winning the World Series in 1992 and 1993, along with having competitive teams. So they are a bad example to use.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Why?

And what happened the next year when the Jays didn't win that season? It decreased and went up again when they became competitive.

Also, that has nothing to do with a hometown player coming home. I pointed to Chicago getting Chelios not altering attendance or interest. It is a half-ass conclusion. The only thing that has shown to help teams sell tickets long-term is winning. And again, Toronto had a fan base interest in baseball with a prior history of selling out when they were good. Arizona has no history of that with hockey.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Why?

Also, if you are going to look at Baseball, why not look at one of the bigger homecomings which was Griffey to Cincinatti.

They gained 6000 people a game, but only for one year, and it only took them from 11th in NL attendance to 10th. The next year in 2001 they had fewer people attend than they did the year prior to getting Griffey and fell to 13th of the 16 NL teams.

Edit: Ken Griffey was arguably a top 5 to top 10 most recognizable athlete in North America at the time, going to a market with baseball history, and even he couldn't change attendance for more than a season.

Like Hockey, individual players don't sell tickets in Hockey or Baseball for home games.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Also, if you are going to look at Baseball, why not look at one of the bigger homecomings which was Griffey to Cincinatti.

They gained 6000 people a game, but only for one year, and it only took them from 11th in NL attendance to 10th. The next year in 2001 they had fewer people attend than they did the year prior to getting Griffey and fell to 13th of the 16 NL teams.

Edit: Ken Griffey was arguably a top 5 to top 10 most recognizable athlete in North America at the time, going to a market with baseball history, and even he couldn't change attendance for more than a season.

Like Hockey, individual players don't sell tickets in Hockey or Baseball for home games.

And on top of that his father (Ken Griffey Sr.) was part of the Big Red Machine which was a dominant Reds team in the ‘70s. So you had one of the greatest players in baseball history going to the city where his father had been part of a legendary team that won multiple championships.

Also since we’re talking about the Griffeys I feel obligated to post this:

Reactions: Brent Burns Beard

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Well, let's see how the revenue sharing is looking before jumping to that conclusion. More leafs Matthews jersey's sold, the more likely the Coyotes can afford the offer sheet :)
Last season Matthews had the #1 selling jersey and the Coyotes are still in financial trouble. So if you were trying to make that sound like a joke it completely failed.

Matthews has top-selling NHL jersey this season

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Last season Matthews had the #1 selling jersey and the Coyotes are still in financial trouble. So if you were trying to make that sound like a joke it completely failed.

Matthews has top-selling NHL jersey this season

Can always do better. Plus a whole fresh round of JT jerseys now. Best those come in as #2 this year. Maybe can price in a revamped revenue sharing model as well that Bettman will probably want to help amp up the parity.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Can always do better. Plus a whole fresh round of JT jerseys now. Best those come in as #2 this year. Maybe can price in a revamped revenue sharing model as well that Bettman will probably want to help amp up the parity.

I'm pretty sure that the Matthews jerseys are collectively worth more than the entire Coyotes franchise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad