Ian Mitchell

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
don't agree with that idea of Mitchell not signing if Joker was here. the whole thing is, Mitchell did not want to spend time in RFD ........ with Joker here, the RHD slot was full with Murph, Joker and Seabs.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
Nobody on this forum was talking about Dach all summer until Musto the week prior to the draft. We debated 1C Turcotte vs 1D Byram constantly, with a little Cozens sprinkled in there.

I remember tweets from nhl draft guys saying things along the line of “don’t be surprised if the Hawks go off the board and don’t draft Byram/Turcotte”.
Well if no one on here was talking about it...

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
And Stan should be launched into space

Give him the Gruden deal!

1EDF691C-0E17-439E-B092-F4635CC0D855.jpeg

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
What if Mitchell wouldn't sign with Joki here? You're forgetting the 5000 lb elephant in the room.

Joki completely blocks Mitchell. I don't think it's a coincidence that Mitchell went back to Denver and Joki got traded this summer.

Which was never explicitly said. Mitchell still didn't sign last offseason even without Jokiharju here.

You could've moved Joki this upcoming offseason if that really were the issue, but there has been zero reporting that Jokiharju's presence made Mitchell consider not signing. There's only speculation among a few posters here.

Reactions: Muffinalt

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
What if Mitchell wouldn't sign with Joki here? You're forgetting the 5000 lb elephant in the room.

Joki completely blocks Mitchell. I don't think it's a coincidence that Mitchell went back to Denver and Joki got traded this summer.

Are you making up this elephant? Do you have ANYTHING that states Mitchell took this stance?

Reactions: Muffinalt

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
Nobody on this forum was talking about Dach all summer until Musto the week prior to the draft. We debated 1C Turcotte vs 1D Byram constantly, with a little Cozens sprinkled in there.

I remember tweets from nhl draft guys saying things along the line of “don’t be surprised if the Hawks go off the board and don’t draft Byram/Turcotte”.
i also remember a tweet from Zawaski saying the hawks really liked Dach and that’s where they were leaning. Dach wasn’t off the board. There were about 6-7 picks that could have went third.

I didn’t talk about Dach because I never saw him play. I had much more exposure to Turcotte and Byram (not much but I actually saw him play a couple times). As I’m guessing most of you did too.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Well if no one on here was talking about it...

Button:

In TSN Director of Scouting Craig Button’s final 2019 Mock Draft – posted eight hours before Jack Hughes (New Jersey) and Kaapo Kakko (New York Rangers) become the closest-ever geographical rivals at Nos. 1 and 2 – he is projecting Chicago takes centre Alex Turcotte at No. 3.
Turcotte is not a new choice for third overall – but his competition is. Button thinks it comes down a decision between two centres: USA U-18’s Turcotte, a Jonathan Toews-like player, and Saskatoon’s Kirby Dach, a Ryan Getzlaf-like pivot.
“The temptation to select a player cut from the same cloth as Toews will prove too great,” Button says.

McKenzie:

Hughes edges Kakko in TSN’s final draft rankings - TSN.ca

[1. Jack Hughes
2. Kaapo Kakko
3. Bowen Byram
4. Alex Turcotte
5. Kirby Dach
6. Dylan Cozens
7. Trevor Zegras
8. Vasily Podkolzin
9. Cole Caufield/QUOTE]

NHL.com Mock Draft:

Mock draft: Hughes No. 1 to Devils, Kakko second pick to Rangers

Turcotte at 3

The Hockey Writers Mock Draft:

https://thehockeywriters.com/2019-nhl-mock-draft-round-1/

Turcotte at 3

NBC Sports Mock Draft:

2019 NHL Mock Draft 1.0: Hughes leads the way for USA Hockey

Byram at 3

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
i also remember a tweet from Zawaski saying the hawks really liked Dach and that’s where they were leaning. Dach wasn’t off the board. There were about 6-7 picks that could have went third.

I didn’t talk about Dach because I never saw him play. I had much more exposure to Turcotte and Byram (not much but I actually saw him play a couple times). As I’m guessing most of you did too.

Can't find the exact tweet (i don't have twitter so i'm not savvy with that stuff) but...

Blackhawks ‘leaning toward drafting center’ at No. 3 overall in 2019 NHL draft, per report

2 weeks before the draft he was saying Turcotte and/or Zegras. I remember Zawaski saying roughly a couple days before the draft that the Hawks might be going off the board and taking Dach.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
How is it off the board when they were ranked #4 and #5 by TSN and the Hawks drafted 3rd? I have no idea why we are even rehashing this anyway. Dach has nothing to do with them trading Joker.

Dach wasn't off the board anywhere but here and that is because a majority of the posters here wanted Byram and Turcotte (to a lesser extent). Dach was a good pick and I am glad they did not listen to us...:sarcasm:

Reactions: bwana63 and d rake

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
How is it off the board when they were ranked #4 and #5 by TSN and the Hawks drafted 3rd? I have no idea why we are even rehashing this anyway. Dach has nothing to do with them trading Joker.

Dach wasn't off the board anywhere but here and that is because a majority of the posters here wanted Byram and Turcotte (to a lesser extent). Dach was a good pick and I am glad they did not listen to us...:sarcasm:

I just listed 5 major examples of people not having Dach go 3rd overall. All of them had either Byram or Turcotte. "Off the board" doesn't have to be an extreme thing like the Wings picking Seider. The consensus picks were unarguably Turcotte or Byram. Overwhelmingly so.

I don't think we should argue about this anymore either. But it's very disingenuous to say there was nothing surprising about the Hawks picking Dach, or that Byram v Turcotte was exclusively some HF Hawks thing.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

dougd

Jul 20, 2002
fortmcmurray ab can
You wish!

I believe The Hawks have another Brian Rafalski spittin’ image coming in Mitchell.

IQ, smooth, cool, vision, great def zone awareness, above average skating.....think his Pt production will fall short of BR’s, but not by much.
Very happy to see his continuing progression this year.
The last game I viewed him last year against, Makar, was pretty average and did not standout as I was expecting IMO, and now this year, has raised his contribution to upper College echelon every game.
Looking good AND now that Montgomery fired, my fear of him reuniting has disappeared

Hawkey

Sep 15, 2005
If Mitchell was that concerned about Joker taking his spot - over the long term - then he is not the player some are claiming him to be.

I can understand him not signing last summer, there could have been a jam on d. If there was a chance that Mitchell could have struggled and was dropped to the A, it’s understandable why he chose another year in college. That doesn’t mean he forced Stan to trade Joker. When he chose to stay in college Stan could have kept Joker for the season, saw what player he had, and then unloaded player(s) to make room for both of them for next season.

The gorilla in the room is the expansion draft. With the no movement contracts of Keith and Seabrook that means the Hawks likely lose a dman like Joker, Murphy, etc. But he gave up on Joker before he could assess the situation. Jokers values has likely gone up since last summer - that means Stan could have gotten more for joker if he didn’t make the trade and kept him through this season.

The trade of joker looks a bit like a rush trade, but I don’t see the reason for being pushed to make the deal. They had a year to evaluate the situation and make a more informed decision.

Reactions: bwana63

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
Which was never explicitly said. Mitchell still didn't sign last offseason even without Jokiharju here.

You could've moved Joki this upcoming offseason if that really were the issue, but there has been zero reporting that Jokiharju's presence made Mitchell consider not signing. There's only speculation among a few posters here.

Or you could have (gasp!) asked a defenseman to play the other side. They can actually do that, you know.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Stop the narrative that Mitchell wanted Jokiharju gone lol. That was my wish, not his...

Mitchell wanted to go back to college because his goal was to be the best defenseman in college hockey. He didn't feel like he was at that point yet, and he's cited guys like Krug as examples of players that benefited from a 3rd year. He also had the opportunity to captain his team.

Mitchell is better than Jokiharku, and Jokiharju never posed a threat to him.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
If Mitchell was that concerned about Joker taking his spot - over the long term - then he is not the player some are claiming him to be.

I can understand him not signing last summer, there could have been a jam on d. If there was a chance that Mitchell could have struggled and was dropped to the A, it’s understandable why he chose another year in college. That doesn’t mean he forced Stan to trade Joker. When he chose to stay in college Stan could have kept Joker for the season, saw what player he had, and then unloaded player(s) to make room for both of them for next season.

The gorilla in the room is the expansion draft. With the no movement contracts of Keith and Seabrook that means the Hawks likely lose a dman like Joker, Murphy, etc. But he gave up on Joker before he could assess the situation. Jokers values has likely gone up since last summer - that means Stan could have gotten more for joker if he didn’t make the trade and kept him through this season.

The trade of joker looks a bit like a rush trade, but I don’t see the reason for being pushed to make the deal. They had a year to evaluate the situation and make a more informed decision.
But there’s zero evidence that’s the case, despite the narrative being pushed by ONE poster.

Not even Mitchell’s biggest fanboy agrees with the narrative.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
Stop the narrative that Mitchell wanted Jokiharju gone lol. That was my wish, not his...

Mitchell wanted to go back to college because his goal was to be the best defenseman in college hockey. He didn't feel like he was at that point yet, and he's cited guys like Krug as examples of players that benefited from a 3rd year. He also had the opportunity to captain his team.

Mitchell is better than Jokiharku, and Jokiharju never posed a threat to him.
\

Haha how many times have you seen mitchell play?

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
I have seen him 20+ times over the past two years and I agree that Mitchell is better and will top out higher than Joker.
I didnt ask you but thank you for the insight. Why have you watched denver that much?

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I didnt ask you but thank you for the insight. Why have you watched denver that much?

I mean we are all discussing the prospect. I figured it would be a good time to jump in considering the number of times I have watched the prospect and that you were clearly questioning how much the other poster have watched him (at least this is how it came off).

I really enjoy watching college hockey (have friends who coach) and I stopped watching the OHL for the most part this year. It seems like a lot but I don't really watch regular TV.

Reactions: d rake

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad