Ian Mitchell

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
Ya, they obviously thought Joki was a better prospect than Mitchell at the time of the draft. Not sure what the victory lap is for

What victory lap? 75% of the board is bitching about trading him.

Not all your picks progress the way you expect them to. I'll take the GM that isn't afraid to trade for a perceived higher upside player, instead of holding onto him out of ignorance or pride. That's a clear positive.

Reactions: d rake

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
What victory lap? 75% of the board is *****ing about trading him.

Not all your picks progress the way you expect them to. I'll take the GM that isn't afraid to trade for a perceived higher upside player, instead of holding onto him out of ignorance or pride. That's a clear positive.

I’ll take a GM that keeps the better player instead of trading him for hopes and wishes and “upsides”

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
Stan quite literally replaced Jokiharju with Maatta. Jokiharju is a Maatta-tier defender and will never exceed that.
yes i agree they are about the same right now. but hes 20. Stan replaced kahun with nylander then right?

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
How many times have you watched Jokiharju this year? I’m trying to get information about him and trying to figure out why he’s so worshiped around here.
everyone here has seen like 40 games of joki last year in the nhl. and i dunno 5-6 games this year?? plus you get to read sabres board on what they think of him and his game to this point. theres so much more info on him then literally watching zero games.

do you think taking information from a guy who hasnt seen mitchell play this year and has outlandish takes like they are going out of style is a smart move?

hes liked around here because hes exactly what this team needs and we had him. 20 year old nhl proven defensively responsible defenseman. you cant get those in free agency, teams usually dont trade these players and we drafted one that worked out.

Last edited:

GaryU

May 17, 2004
Schaumburg,Il
everyone here has seen like 40 games of joki last year in the nhl. and i dunno 5-6 games this year?? plus you get to read sabres board on what they think of him and his game to this point. theres so much more info on him then literally watching zero games.

do you think taking information from a guy who hasnt seen mitchell play this year and has outlandish takes like they are going out of style is a smart move?

hes liked around here because hes exactly what this team needs and we had him. 20 year old nhl proven defensively responsible defenseman. you cant get those in free agency, teams usually dont trade these players and we drafted one that worked out.
This.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
Kahun was really replaced by Kubalik. Nylander is more of the long play. I say this because Kubalik is older and more developed. Nylander has a ways to go in his development.
thats the point i was getting at. theres development to go in jokiharju and maatta is older and more developed so no its not a replacement. im sorry i should have put a :sarcasm: instead of sarcastically asking the question.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
thats the point i was getting at. theres development to go in jokiharju and maatta is older and more developed so no its not a replacement. im sorry i should have put a :sarcasm: instead of sarcastically asking the question.

Yeah I missed the sarcasm.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
i would rather have kahun and joki then nylander and maatta is what it comes down to for me. i think you can work around LD or RD with the other prospects as well as the incoming expansion draft. hopefully if all of your prospects work out it gives you the flexibility to sell murphy if not you have the numbers needed to have a good core still. now that joki is gone im very much hoping mitchell is 10x the player but seems premature at this point to declare anything about one being better then the other or mitchell making joki expendable. this may be different then others but im on around a 3 year time table until they will really compete.

that timeline is also why im on board with trading gus and saad.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
If Nylander was playing better this whole conversation would be a fraction of what it is now.

We traded away a young dman with top 4 potential for a forward with top 6 potential that has seriously underperformed as of 50 games into this season.

Reactions: pvr and Blue Liner

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
If Nylander was playing better this whole conversation would be a fraction of what it is now.

We traded away a young dman with top 4 potential for a forward with top 6 potential that has seriously underperformed as of 50 games into this season.
if jokiharju was playing even better this conversation would be larger then what it is now.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Kahun was really replaced by Kubalik. Nylander is more of the long play. I say this because Kubalik is older and more developed. Nylander has a ways to go in his development.

No Kubalik didn’t “replace” Kahun, they are not interchangeable, the team could and should have had both. The only interchange at forward that happened was Nylander replaced Kahun this year and that’s a major downgrade. Let’s not start making scenarios in our head and just see it for what it really is. Kubalik should have been an ADDITION not a replacement to an already thin forward line up that overachieved because a few players shined and made it look better than it really was. Joker + Kahun + Cap space > Nylander + Maatta in more ways than one.

nmgrbhfn

Mar 27, 2018
Anyone think the Hawks could have gotten Nylander cheaper (or not at all) if they had just allowed the Sabres to play him at the beginning of the season, instead of the Hawks? He was always kind of a risky proposition with his slow/mismanaged development.

Reactions: KennyWharramPeace

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
Anyone think the Hawks could have gotten Nylander cheaper (or not at all) if they had just allowed the Sabres to play him at the beginning of the season, instead of the Hawks? He was always kind of a risky proposition with his slow/mismanaged development.
I think stan and co. wanted him for the offseason to start his re-development. Probably better to get him away from them before they set him back any further.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
No Kubalik didn’t “replace” Kahun, they are not interchangeable, the team could and should have had both. The only interchange at forward that happened was Nylander replaced Kahun this year and that’s a major downgrade. Let’s not start making scenarios in our head and just see it for what it really is. Kubalik should have been an ADDITION not a replacement to an already thin forward line up that overachieved because a few players shined and made it look better than it really was. Joker + Kahun + Cap space > Nylander + Maatta in more ways than one.
Gotta disagree with Nylander vs Kahun part. Kahun was not going to make this team much longer because he couldn't score. Nyles is still a project. Colliton needs to keep being patient and make sure he gets coached, IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad