Ian Mitchell

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Losing Mitchell wasn't a huge concern to me, cause I felt we had two D prospects better than him. One of them (Joker) already had NHL games under his belt, the other is still a teenager and lighting it up in London. Losing your 3rd best D prospect because you're forced to trade him before he walks to UFA isn't a huge blow if you have depth ahead of him. Now the only guy ahead of him is a kid that's still years away.

This gives Mitchell more reason to sign so I don't get your increased concern.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
The more I think about this trade and the addition of Maatta and de Hann the more I love what Bowman has done this off season to compete now. As some of these contracts expire should be the perfect time for some of these prospects to jump in and replace them.

Now if by some miracle we could get out of the Seabrook dilemma somehow. Come on Uncle Jerry, throw us a bailout!

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
This gives Mitchell more reason to sign so I don't get your increased concern.

My point was not that I think he's more likely to walk, my point is simply that the impact of him walking (if he does) is larger.

Reactions: jls24

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
My point was not that I think he's more likely to walk, my point is simply that the impact of him walking (if he does) is larger.

Impact means little if he is more likely to sign now.

The Hawks clearly seem him as a better prospect than Joker so they made the move. Mitchell is smart enough to know that Boqvist is not who impacts him.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
A. Why are you bringing up a scenario that we're not discussing, because it hasn't reached that point? I'm talking about right now. Mitchell's agent didn't go to the Hawks and "nudge" them to trade someone to make room for his client, right now. Because he doesn't have that leverage like he would a year from now. I mean... you even say this in your last sentence... wtf? Not to mention, it's not a good way to begin a relationship with a player looking to crack a pro roster soon... making demands/requests of the organization.
B. None, but it rarely happens... How often do you see a highly touted prospect just bolt from his draft team? Once every handful of years, if that? Don't bother mentioning Kayes. Entirely different situation.
A. Before Joker was traded, we weren't talking about RIGHT NOW. We were assuming Mitchell would return for his junior year BECAUSE he said going was going back to college. Why are you getting so angry?

And like I said, he doesn't have any leverage RiGHT NOW. I don't think he forced the Joker trade.

This was a Hawks' decision. Maybe they want Mitchell in camp as soon as possible. Maybe they don't want to negotiate with Mitchell after his junior year when he has far more leverage?

B. Why can't we talk about Kayes? He was a first round pick who left the Hawks for nothing just recently. When do you get to make the rules? Like you said, every situation is unique. Who knows what Mitchell is thinking? All we know is that Mtichell said he was going to sign with the Hawks at some point. We can only believe what he said publicly. That said, it doesn't change the fact he's have more leverage after his junior year. That's just a fact.

Last edited:

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I was listening to a Hawks podcast the other day (can't remember which one), and they mentioned that the Mitchell camps seemed to know the Joker trade was coming before it happened, so I wonder if there has been some movement behind the scenes for a bit now.

Nice call.

IDK where barstool chief heard this but in a recent article he said Barry Smith described Mitchell as "the best kid he's ever worked with"...found that interesting

If this is true then this tells you a lot. Some people don't like him but Barry Smith is one of the smarter hockey people around imo. Just from what I know from my time in Detroit and what people I know have said about him. Dude knows the game.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
After thinking a bit more about it, I'm no longer that opposed to Mitchell coming over this year. He does have a chance with de Haan out to begin the year and being the 1st call up also gives the team many chances to see if he can replace Gus next year (or beat out any of the others).

Absolutely fine whether he comes this year or next.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
A. Before Joker was traded, we weren't talking about RIGHT NOW. We were assuming Mitchell would return for his junior year BECAUSE he said going was going back to college. Why are you getting so angry?

And like I said, he doesn't have any leverage RiGHT NOW. I don't think he forced the Joker trade.

This was a Hawks' decision. Maybe they want Mitchell in camp as soon as possible. Maybe they don't want to negotiate with Mitchell after his junior year when he has far more leverage?

B. Why can't we talk about Kayes? He was a first round pick who left the Hawks for nothing just recently. When do you get to make the rules? Like you said, every situation is unique. Who knows what Mitchell is thinking? All we know is that Mtichell said he was going to sign with the Hawks at some point. We can only believe what he said publicly. That said, it doesn't change the fact he's have more leverage after his junior year. That's just a fact.

Do you read posts as part of the conversation, or just randomly deflect every time you're called out on something that you're wrong about? I mean... this constantly happens with you. Where you bring up things entirely unrelated to the conversation going on. You did it with the racism stuff in the other thread...

Here, you tried to call me out by saying "Of course he has leverage." That backfired, because I was discussing something that @ChiHawk21 said happened right now, not a year from now... that Mitchell's camp "went and nudged the organization to make room for his client." inferring that was why Joker was moved... You jumped into the discussion with nonsensical comments that had nothing to do with what we were talking about at the time.

:laugh: Then you do what you always do when I call you out on something, you somehow act like I'm angry. Why would I be angry? Because I bolded a couple words? JFC, stop with this silly inferring of people's emotions through text. This is no different than the goofy ass comments that I'm angry because I use curse words. :shakehead

We aren't discussing Kayes because he left for entirely different reasons, not because there was no spot for him on the roster. The situations are nothing alike, and aren't really like any other situation where this has happened recently, either.

I'm well-aware he'll have more leverage after this upcoming season, but we weren't discussing after this upcoming season, we were discussing something CH21 speculated happened right now.

Try to keep up.

Last edited:
Reactions: clydesdale line

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC

Do you read posts, or just randomly deflect every time you're called out on something that you're wrong about? You tried to call me out by saying "Of course he has leverage." That backfired, because I was discussing something that @ChiHawk21 said happened right now, not a year from now... that Mitchell's camp "went and nudged the organization to make room for his client." You jumped into the discussion with nonsensical comments that had nothing to do with what we were talking about.

:laugh: Then you do what you always do when I call you out on something, you somehow act like I'm angry. Why would you assume I'm angry? Because I bolded a couple words? JFC, stop with this silly inferring of people's emotions through text. :shakehead

We aren't discussing Kayes because he left for entirely different reasons, not because there was no spot for him on the roster. The situations are nothing alike.

I'm well-aware he'll have more leverage after this upcoming season, but we weren't discussing after this upcoming season, we were discussing something CH21 speculated happened right now.

Try to keep up.
I got it. Do you understand the confusion? You tagged me on a post from a 3 months ago! It's the only REASON I responded. When you start tagging everyone's posts, there's bound to be mayhem

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I got it. Do you understand the confusion? You tagged me on a post from a 3 months ago! It's the only REASON I responded. When you start tagging everyone's posts, there's bound to be mayhem

I just quoted you(and a bunch of others) in order to show CH21 that people weren't really all that concerned when Mitchell didn't sign after his season was over last year. :thumbu: Gotta read the posts my man.

Reactions: clydesdale line

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Yes.

If true, and Joker was moved to make room for Mitchell, and to assure he signs prior to becoming a FA, then yes, the Hawks traded Joker for Nylander and a guarantee that Mitchell would sign.
and by all accounts that is what it looks like.

if the Hawks viewed Mitchell the better player, why put him signing with the Hawks in any jeopardy with a log jam of bodies ahead of him that you view as lesser players? Joker is a great kid and will do well there, but if moving him out opens up that spot and shows Mitchell (the guy you truly covet) that a spot is here AND you get to bring in a super slick forward in that trade..it makes more sense now. sucks to lose Joker, but obviously Hawks felt it would suck to lose Mitchell more..

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I just quoted you(and a bunch of others) in order to show CH21 that people weren't really all that concerned when Mitchell didn't sign after his season was over last year. :thumbu: Gotta read the posts my man.
My bad ... but when the alert goes off, my assumption is that you were directly responding to me. I didn't think I said anything controversial.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
My bad ... but when the alert goes off, my assumption is that you were directly responding to me. I didn't think I said anything controversial.

You didn't. It was just completely unrelated to what I was discussing with CH21, that's all. So it was like a :huh: moment for me. :laugh:

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
and by all accounts that is what it looks like.

if the Hawks viewed Mitchell the better player, why put him signing with the Hawks in any jeopardy with a log jam of bodies ahead of him that you view as lesser players? Joker is a great kid and will do well there, but if moving him out opens up that spot and shows Mitchell (the guy you truly covet) that a spot is here AND you get to bring in a super slick forward in that trade..it makes more sense now. sucks to lose Joker, but obviously Hawks felt it would suck to lose Mitchell more..

Bingo. QFT.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
I mean, I'm more concerned about losing Mitchell NOW, cause the Blackhawks gave up on Joker prematurely. They cant afford for another D prospect to just walk for nothing.
Am I forgetting someone? I don’t recall the Hawks losing any defensemen prospects, just Hayes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad