Ian Mendes Appreciation Thread

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
The Dean Brown bit was an actual disinformation attempt.

Trying to deflect from the legit conversation about the myriad serious issues with the franchise by saying: " Leafs fans that buy tickets in Ottawa are 'fans', so you can't say all "fans" are upset.. those fans are happy with the state of the team." Completely insane, dishonest gaslighting.

Some of worst equivocating garbage I've heard on TSN radio, ever, and that's saying something considering we heard Nicolas Ruszkowski pivot from answering about the money earmarked for Stone by saying they are obligated to meet the cap floor.
Yea I couldn't believe what I was hearing with regards to his definition of fans. What do leaf or hab fans in Ottawa have to do with with regards to the situation with the Senators.

Hes such a tool

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
In any conflict or disagreement, the absolute worst thing you can do is minimize and dismiss a person's point of view.
People respond better when you listen to what they have to say, even if you disagree with them. But you have to actually listen to what they are saying first and demonstrate that you understand that person's concerns.

The Senators front office have been ignoring, dismissing and chiding the fan base for so long that it has become completely tone deaf to its own market and is now unable to productively engage with its fan base. And that all starts with the corporate leadership.

And Ian Mendes is demonstrating leadership by listening to the fans and using his position to force a proper conversation. Kudos.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Yea I couldn't believe what I was hearing with regards to his definition of fans. What do leaf or hab fans in Ottawa have to do with with regards to the situation with the Senators.

Hes such a tool

And casual fans dont care about who owns the team. They go 3 or 4 times a year, what do they are?

What are you talking about dean?

Reactions: Flamingo

otown

Sep 4, 2009
I get the impression Dean looks at himself as the" I've been here from day one" guy and is not used to push back when it comes to discussing anything Sens related.
As a company guy, he won't call management out for the unprecedented tear down . Time to look behind the curtain Deano!
Ian's objectivity is a welcome relief!

Reactions: Icelevel

billpo

Jun 28, 2006
The man may very well have risked his job last night for speaking on behalf of the fans. He took Dean Brown (ugh... "I don't know why everyone's so upset") to task, ripped on ownership and management all while being respectful and polite.

Rispek.
finally someone did their job!!!!

billpo

Jun 28, 2006
Mendes and Simmer have been the only two over the last 2 years to call things like they are, and they deserve a lot of credit for that.

As an aside, TGOR is absolutely destroying the team this morning. Maybe the gloves are FINALLY off. No more sugar coating this nonsense.
all of them are ripping the team...I thought Simmer did a good job this year calling them out.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
The man may very well have risked his job last night for speaking on behalf of the fans. He took Dean Brown (ugh... "I don't know why everyone's so upset") to task, ripped on ownership and management all while being respectful and polite.

Rispek.

Agreed!

Cheapseats

Cigars N F-Bombs
Mar 2, 2004
Worst org in pro sports... complete lunacy. Media is finally done polishing the turd. Good job Mendez. The only job worse than being part of Sens front office would be media...

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Listened to it on the drive into work this morning. Really well stated. Very interested to see if some sort of semi-official response from the organization comes from this. (more than some boro-vision)

Highly doubtful, but would help the situation a little.

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018
Listened to it on the drive into work this morning. Really well stated. Very interested to see if some sort of semi-official response from the organization comes from this. (more than some boro-vision)

Highly doubtful, but would help the situation a little.

How would more PR (social manipulation of the fanbase) help?

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Mendes and Simmer have been the only two over the last 2 years to call things like they are, and they deserve a lot of credit for that.

As an aside, TGOR is absolutely destroying the team this morning. Maybe the gloves are FINALLY off. No more sugar coating this nonsense.

Even Chris Stevenson was getting in on it yesterday.

Also, I totally lost respect for Dean Brown yesterday. f*** that guy.

Reactions: Bean Drown

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Mendes has hit the nail on the head in his most recent TSN article......

"But what Sens fans are enduring right now goes beyond what would be considered within the normal range of ups and downs of a sports franchise. You expect your favourite sports franchise to leave you heartbroken; that’s the unspoken rule when we strap ourselves into the roller-coaster ride of being a sports fan in the first place.
What you don’t sign up for is perpetual state of dysfunction that leaves you hopeless."

Emerica

May 29, 2010

I was expecting it when i saw JR’s twitter feed last night.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
What really bothers me about this is that there is nothing special about Ian Mendes' ability to read the situation. He doesn't possess superhuman fan base reading skills. He quite simply just listens. He listens. It's that simple.

If the Senators would listen to the fan base instead of telling the fan base what they're supposed to be thinking, the team wouldn't be in this mess.

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
Ian is the best! He won't lose his job as he's the most professional employee of team 1200 by far

On the other hand, the thin skinned Simmer blocked me on Twitter last September when I ripped Melnyk on Twitter. And I've never tweeted to or about Simmer. He was in full out bootlick mode, as he was trying to become Sens assistant to the assistant GM Dorion.

Melnyks lapdog. Sad. And he lost out to a guy who's never worked in hockey before.

Reactions: edguy

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Ian is the best! He won't lose his job as he's the most professional employee of team 1200 by far

On the other hand, the thin skinned Simmer blocked me on Twitter last September when I ripped Melnyk on Twitter. And I've never tweeted to or about Simmer. He was in full out bootlick mode, as he was trying to become Sens assistant to the assistant GM Dorion.

Melnyks lapdog. Sad. And he lost out to a guy who's never worked in hockey before.

Good to hear I wasnt the only one he blocked :laugh:

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018
No way Mendes loses his job, and if he does then it's an absolute injustice and I'd be willing to try and do something about it, whatever that may be as a fan.

SOMEONE in Ottawa Sports Media has to hold our clownshoes chucklef*** owner accountable for the shit he's doing to our organization. I'm tired of hearing Garrioch gargle Eugene's nuts when we all know they're lying and gaslighting the piss out of all of us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad