Ian Mendes Appreciation Thread

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
If Dorion actually took one on the chin like a man instead of acting like a used car sales and lying to the fanbase constantly, I think people would have a lot more respect for him and be a lot more easy on him given the situation.

Dude just can't help himself. He needs to go back to a behind-the-camera scouting position where he can thrive because he's clearly in over his head right now.
I agree, it would be such a huge step in the right direction if they just came out and said "we're sorry. We messed up and made this team a place where stars don't want to sign. We've made some mistakes with the roster, but we're starting fresh and promise to try and do better." Instead they blame the players and talk like they're the biggest geniuses on earth.

I sometimes feel bad for Dorion - this is his dream job, he's completely unqualified, know's he'll never be a gm again, and he has to make up these lies to defend Melnyk, but at the end of the day, he's still making that choice. If I were in his position I'd probably do the same thing, but I know for a fact I could do it without being so arrogant and out of touch.

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Still way to easy on Dorion and Melnyk. He has made some improvements lately but he needs to step his game up. Be the voice of the fans and offer Dorion and Melnyk no mercy.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
Still way to easy on Dorion and Melnyk. He has made some improvements lately but he needs to step his game up. Be the voice of the fans and offer Dorion and Melnyk no mercy.
But what's the point? He has a family to feed, he can't be risking his job for something as meaningless as a stupid broke owner.

Acidrain66

Jun 13, 2018
worked well for the expos...
having experienced losing a team several times (expos hurt the most, RR 2nd, Renegades 3rd), I'd rather have a ****ty owner but have a team, then see the team in another city if those are my two options.
I'm assume your a sadists

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
worked well for the expos...
having experienced losing a team several times (expos hurt the most, RR 2nd, Renegades 3rd), I'd rather have a ****ty owner but have a team, then see the team in another city if those are my two options.

Those are definitely not the only two options though.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I agree, it would be such a huge step in the right direction if they just came out and said "we're sorry. We messed up and made this team a place where stars don't want to sign. We've made some mistakes with the roster, but we're starting fresh and promise to try and do better." Instead they blame the players and talk like they're the biggest geniuses on earth.

I sometimes feel bad for Dorion - this is his dream job, he's completely unqualified, know's he'll never be a gm again, and he has to make up these lies to defend Melnyk, but at the end of the day, he's still making that choice. If I were in his position I'd probably do the same thing, but I know for a fact I could do it without being so arrogant and out of touch.

Im honestly not sure if he's unqualified. He's made some solid trades and has been crazy busy. He's made a few duds . . . but that is inevitable for any gm.

Stuff like the Burrows trade . . . while not great. People blew out of proportion because of how oddly obsessed they were with Dahlin, who has just kinda fallen off the map since the move.

I wonder how much of Dorions issues come from the fact that he doesn't have an adequate staff around him.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
But what's the point? He has a family to feed, he can't be risking his job for something as meaningless as a stupid broke owner.

Why do you think he would lose his job? There is a way to be proffessional as a journalist but also show no mercy. He can hold Dorion accountable and still keep his job.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
Why do you think he would lose his job? There is a way to be proffessional as a journalist but also show no mercy. He can hold Dorion accountable and still keep his job.
Because Melnyk is petty enough to "flex" his power. He's already removed some reporters from team charters after negative coverage.

Plus, nothing Mendes says will change what Melnyk/Dorion do or say. Only a change in ownership can solve this problem, not some journalist who "takes them to task".

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Im honestly not sure if he's unqualified. He's made some solid trades and has been crazy busy. He's made a few duds . . . but that is inevitable for any gm.

Stuff like the Burrows trade . . . while not great. People blew out of proportion because of how oddly obsessed they were with Dahlin, who has just kinda fallen off the map since the move.

I wonder how much of Dorions issues come from the fact that he doesn't have an adequate staff around him.
I think that’s fair, though I do think he moved from scout to GM faster than pretty much anyone.

I also agree that with the staff and resources he has, he’s done okay. I’d love to see him with a a rich owner who stays out of the way.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Because Melnyk is petty enough to "flex" his power. He's already removed some reporters from team charters after negative coverage.

Plus, nothing Mendes says will change what Melnyk/Dorion do or say. Only a change in ownership can solve this problem, not some journalist who "takes them to task".
I don’t think Mendes even travels with the team. I’d love to see Melnyk try to flex his power on Bell and TSN lmao. I’m sure Ian’s job is pretty safe.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I think that’s fair, though I do think he moved from scout to GM faster than pretty much anyone.

I also agree that with the staff and resources he has, he’s done okay. I’d love to see him with a a rich owner who stays out of the way.

Oh I don't disagree at all. I really wish Dorion had an experienced Assistant GM to rely on so he could do what he does best and focus on amateur scouting a little bit more.

These next two drafts will be very very telling what he's capable of.

Reactions: Smeddy

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Oh I don't disagree at all. I really wish Dorion had an experienced Assistant GM to rely on so he could do what he does best and focus on amateur scouting a little bit more.

These next two drafts will be very very telling what he's capable of.
Yes, the role of a scout

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
GJ by Ian and the rest of the guys of the TSN crew,they really needed to step up and make sure the manager and the owner know how we the fans feel ...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad