Ian Mendes Appreciation Thread

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
Holy hell, Dorion laughing when Ian said he's trying to help him and the Sens out (which he is since, as Ian mentioned, the Sens winning the Cup is good for his business) was downright disgusting. What a tool. It's clear that Dorion thinks if the media aren't heaping praise on him and Melnyk then they're not doing their jobs. Pathetic.

Last edited:

5ive4Fighting

Feb 11, 2019
Lonely end of the rink
It's counterintuitive at first, but HR people in general are not good with people. There is definitely an "HR personality" in my experience over the years, and there is almost always something a bit like biting on tinfoil in their personalities. Something that feels like arrogance and/or a general lack of warmth - a disconnect of the sort like you see with Dorion. "Get a new girlfriend". LOL. WTF.

It's come to make sense to me over the years, because HR people aren't really dealing with people as people. They move them around like chess pieces, one step removed from where the actual relationships are, applying various objective criteria to bring them in, move them out, move them over, whatever. If HR people were warm, empathetic, connected people who could come out and not make a mess of an interview on a day like today, they probably wouldn't be HR people to begin with. A certain dispassion is maybe necessary to be good at the job.

All that to say that I don't really hold PD's public face against him. He sucks at it, but it's about what I would expect in that realm.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
@ianmendes and Simmer did a great job in a very difficult situation today. Both held him to account as much as possible without completely burning the bridge.

I would have had difficulty keeping my cool with the way Dorion laughed in Ian’s face.

Thanks for speaking truth to power.

sens2k9

Aug 8, 2008
It's counterintuitive at first, but HR people in general are not good with people. There is definitely an "HR personality" in my experience over the years, and there is almost always something a bit like biting on tinfoil in their personalities. Something that feels like arrogance and/or a general lack of warmth - a disconnect of the sort like you see with Dorion. "Get a new girlfriend". LOL. WTF.

It's come to make sense to me over the years, because HR people aren't really dealing with people as people. They move them around like chess pieces, one step removed from where the actual relationships are, applying various objective criteria to bring them in, move them out, move them over, whatever. If HR people were warm, empathetic, connected people who could come out and not make a mess of an interview on a day like today, they probably wouldn't be HR people to begin with. A certain dispassion is maybe necessary to be good at the job.

All that to say that I don't really hold PD's public face against him. He sucks at it, but it's about what I would expect in that realm.

Behind the scenes look at Ian and PD during that interview

paul-lieberstein-steve-carell-the-office-nbc-042916-638x425.jpg

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
If Dorion actually took one on the chin like a man instead of acting like a used car sales and lying to the fanbase constantly, I think people would have a lot more respect for him and be a lot more easy on him given the situation.

Dude just can't help himself. He needs to go back to a behind-the-camera scouting position where he can thrive because he's clearly in over his head right now.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Thank you Ian and Simmer for a nice interview. You guys did your job wonderfully and the fans appreciate it.

I know he is a peer, but someone who should also be held accountable for bogus PR job in the name of journalism but...please hold Bruce Garrioch accountable for the BS he spreads as news next time he comes on your show. If Melnyk is Saddam, then Burce Garrioch is the Iraq's Minister of Information. Absolutely pathetic.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Mendes: What happens when stars like Chabot, Tkachuk, Brannstrom are due for their home run contracts, will they be traded off like what just happened today.
Dorion: In this rebuild, all those players are staying.

I'm convinced.

This is the heart of the matter and until we actually see someone like Chabot and Brady sign long term, there will continue to be mistrust with the organization!

Dorion seems to be sweeping this under the rug. There is work to be done to get the fan base back on board and he should be bridging the gap ........because it is a big one!

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
It’s hard to imagine a more dense, and appallingly awkward tin eared moron than than that jackass.
I mean Melnyk is an embarrassing lying buffoon & the true anchor sinking this joke franchise but PD is is the perfect lieutenant to run the ship into the iceberg. It’s almost unbearable to hear him speak.

Speatleysson

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa, Ontario
Thank you for that interview Ian! I had a good laugh at "When I go out in public, everyone is really nice to me and respectful. I think, for as long as I remember, anytime I have gone out in public only one person has ever yelled at me!" Way to stick to your guns and put the fire under Dorion's behind. I really wish you guys had a chance to play some audio clips from fans.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
It’s hard to imagine a more dense, and appallingly awkward tin eared moron than than that jackass.
I mean Melnyk is an embarrassing lying buffoon & the true anchor sinking this joke franchise but PD is is the perfect lieutenant to run the ship into the iceberg. It’s almost unbearable to hear him speak.
I like your avatar

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
What I find telling is the amount of people claiming to still be STHs who are NOW claiming to be done. Frank Napolitano was noteworthy, but in general I’ve read a lot of tweets and social media stuff of people saying they’re done. If those people are legit, with the small STH base already, this is a major blow.

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
What I find telling is the amount of people claiming to still be STHs who are NOW claiming to be done. Frank Napolitano was noteworthy, but in general I’ve read a lot of tweets and social media stuff of people saying they’re done. If those people are legit, with the small STH base already, this is a major blow.

Boycott every game until 2021 FYOUS.

Reactions: Tranq

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Hilarious that ownership's mandate to lie to the fans about the rebuild will result in a far worse backlash.

Had they gone full rebuild last summer, you wouldn't have had people hold on to false hope who now feel deeply betrayed.

The con man runs a con and it ends up blowing up in his face. f*** you Melnyk you f***ing f***. You do this to try to get an arena paid for you and what happens instead? Now you are completely screwed, the fans are screwed and our rookies are leaderless. You goddamn piece of shit.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I think Frank will be back. He is frustrated as everyone else .

STHs were under 5K this year, and unless they do something splashy, like a Chabot extension come July, then it will continue to go down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->