I wouldn’t be surprised if Matthews won the Art Ross

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I seriously don't think anyone can call an Art Ross 3 games into the season but if the question is if I think Matthews can win an Art Ross over his career, I say yes.

McDavid will have injured years or down years and other players will take advantage on those years. I can see Eichel, MacKinnon, Barzal and several other younger players take a run at it.
Let's say McDavid got off to the exact same start Matthews has, you don't think some people might call this years Art Ross race officially over? I realize McDavid might get the benefit of the doubt seeing as he won it the last 2 seasons. However wouldn't the same logic apply to him that you said about Matthews since it's only 3 games into the season?

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Let's say McDavid got off to the exact same start Matthews has, you don't think some people might call this years Art Ross race officially over? I realize McDavid might get the benefit of the doubt seeing as he won it the last 2 seasons. However wouldn't the same logic apply to him that you said about Matthews since it's only 3 games into the season?

Sure or any of the elite younger players in the league. That being said I can understand why people feel like this. It's easy to get excited over early play from a player. My response though would be the same regardless of the player. 82 games is a long season.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
lol its been 3 games. He will have trouble breaking 70 let alone art ross. Leafs fans love using small sample sizes when it suits them but when u use a playoff series to criticise him than "iT wAs a sMalL SaMpLe sIzE"

Reactions: varank and Asdetran

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
lol its been 3 games. He will have trouble breaking 70 let alone art ross. Leafs fans love using small sample sizes when it suits them but when u use a playoff series to criticise him than "iT wAs a sMalL SaMpLe sIzE"
Once Matthews breaks 70 points replies like this one can finally stop. Also you forget when Matthews had 4 goals and 1 assist in six games against Washington in the 2017 playoffs.

Reactions: jasonleaffan

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Must be nice to play more than one game during the first week and a half of the season.
You know that Matthews did not create the schedule and he still had to produce the goals and assists in these 3 games, because he very easily could have gone pointless since they were not a guarantee.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
It will be hard to beat McDavid, because once the oilers are out of playoff contention by mid November, teams will start playing their backup goalies against them so he can rack up those points again like last year!
Yeah that’s the reason McDavid outscores him..... Sad :laugh:

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
You know that Matthews did not create the schedule and he still had to produce the goals and assists in these 3 games, because he very easily could have gone pointless since they were not a guarantee.
I am aware. I just think its a bit early for the trophy predictions. But hey, knock yourselves out. :thumbu:

Reactions: dukeofjive

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I am aware. I just think its a bit early for the trophy predictions. But hey, knock yourselves out. :thumbu:
Even though it ended up happening I remember the year Erik Karlsson won his first Norris Trophy a lot of Senators fans predicting it that he would win it after his 2nd game. So there are rare occurrences on here where a wild prediction like that came true.

Fledgemyhedge

Apr 24, 2014
bob
I have to admit it, this guy is actually insanely good. Like he keeps outdoing my expectations. Wasn't it at one point 50/50 between him going to Montreal or Toronto? f***

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
He had 12 pts in 7 games last year and the leafs started 7-1. There were threads like this last year about him being better then mcdavid because Connor had like 3 pts in six games.

Wait till the oilers play two months to get an accurate read on where Connor is too. Reason I say this is because he had those 3 pts in six games.

That being said he is impressive as hell and on a mission.

He should win the rocket either him ovi....laine will be up there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Frosty415

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I have to admit it, this guy is actually insanely good. Like he keeps outdoing my expectations. Wasn't it at one point 50/50 between him going to Montreal or Toronto? ****
In the final ball drawing for the 1st overall pick in 2016 Montreal had one of the best odds based upon the first 3 balls that were selected, where as Toronto could only win it with a #13 ball and Montreal needed at least 2 different numbers to have been drawn for them to win it instead.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
He had 12 pts in 7 games last year and the leafs started 7-1.

Wait till the oilers play two months to get an accurate read on where Connor is too.

That being said he is inpressive as hell and on a mission.

He should win the rocket either him ovi....laine will be up there
One difference compared to last season is Matthews never scored 5 goals in his first three games played.

Fledgemyhedge

Apr 24, 2014
bob
In the final ball drawing for the 1st overall pick in 2016 Montreal had one of the best odds based upon the first 3 balls that were selected, where as Toronto could only win it with a #13 ball and Montreal needed at least 2 different numbers to have been drawn for them to win it instead.
You've got to be kidding me, I guess it just wasn't meant to be. f***

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
One difference compared to last season is Matthews never scored 5 goals in his first three games played.

Okay...and mcdavid bas played one game. None on this continent.

Toews and Kane aren’t going to win the art ross either. Although Kane May he always has a chance, as does Matthews.

I just said he should win the rocket, jeez.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
You've got to be kidding me, I guess it just wasn't meant to be. ****
The same thing happened to the Leafs in 2015 during the Connor McDavid lottery. After the first three balls were drawn Toronto had the best odds going into the fourth and final ball drawing with 4x the odds based on the combination of numbers they needed to win. There was an article written in the Toronto Star that said a #2 ball was about to be drawn and at the last possible second a #1 ball knocked it away and that's how McDavid became a member of the Oilers. So in a way getting Matthews 1 year later was vindication for what happened during the McDavid lottery.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Okay...and mcdavid bas played one game. None on this continent.

Toews and Kane aren’t going to win the art ross either. Although Kane May he always has a chance, as does Matthews.

I just said he should win the rocket, jeez.
I was not trying to argue with you. I was just stating that compared to last season or even Matthews rookie season he has not scored this many goals in a short amount of time after 3 games.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
Let him win the art ross or wathever this year so he'll ask for 14m/years...

According to Doug McLean he’s getting at least 13.

I before thought 11 was good but 12 isn’t unreasonable, let’s see if he takes a shanahan discount.

He has saved the leafs in both their overtime wins they would be 0-3 if they didn’t have half his goals. JT has come through too, defenders needs to Be better. They finally play a decent game defensively and go figure let in 6 goals. Curtis should have stayed IMO. Not writing sparks off but his first start was ugly. They can’t play like this all year or can they. Five of their first six games and all of their preseason have been against non playoff teams so it’s a good thing they have picked up 4 of 6 pts.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
I was not trying to argue with you. I was just stating that compared to last season or even Matthews rookie season he has not scored this many goals in a short amount of time after 3 games.

Well every time I give the leafs a compliment i get a “one thing you don’t realize is (obvious statement that I already know” I’m not trying to be mean but yeah.

He had four goals after his first game in his rookie season so I’d say he was off to a better 300 goal pace that year lol.

Reactions: dukeofjive

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
According to Doug McLean he’s getting at least 13.

I before thought 11 was good but 12 isn’t unreasonable, let’s see if he takes a shanahan discount.

He has saved the leafs in both their overtime wins they would be 0-3 if they didn’t have half his goals. JT has come through, defends needs to Be better. They finally play a decent game defensively and go figure let in 6 goals. Curtis should have stayed IMO. Not writing sparks off but his first start was ugly.
Chances are tonight's game was going to overtime even if Matthews doesn't score because it would have been 5-5. So I don't think Kane ties the game once again with the goalie pulled after Matthews made it 6-5.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Well every time I give the leafs a compliment i get a “one thing you don’t realize is (obvious statement that I already know” I’m not trying to be mean but yeah.

He had four goals after his first game in his rookie season so I’d say he was off to a better 300 goal pace that year lol.
You are correct about his 4 goals in his debut. However his 5th goal was not scored until their 5th game of his rookie season.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
Chances are tonight's game was going to overtime even if Matthews doesn't score because it would have been 5-5. So I don't think Kane ties the game once again with the goalie pulled after Matthews made it 6-5.

That’s somewhat true.

I mean we’ll never know and I usually knock off hypotheticals like I’ve heard Oiles fans (in person) say well if we just would of won in the shootout we’d be in the playoffs and I said “well yeah you could say thAt about almost every team.”

But while we have no idea what could of happened, maybe it’s the final minute and the hawks try and win their home opener in the final minute because they’ve had to come from behind the last two games? We don’t know but what you said isn’t hard to believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad